going on a diet

wwffan2

AS someone who has always struggled with the podge, heres some words of wisdom. Weight Watchers Pro-Points - definately a good idea. Eat only " brown" carbs - in other words, brown pasta, brown rice, sweet potato instead of normal, wholegrain bread etc. Much lower GI than their white counterparts. Slow, steady cardio first thing in the morning - even just walking the dog. Make it 45 mins, and just enough to give you a light sweat...this will kick start your metabolism and burn fat, not muscle. Take up a new sport - something like kickboxing, or judo. This way, youll be doing a couple of hours of cardiona week whilst doing something you actually enjoy. And you forget that youre " working out" during the class. Forget " fad" diets or supplements - the only real way to lose weight, and keep it off, is to change the way you think about food, and expend more calories than you consume. It really is that simple. Any " lose a stone in a week" diet is always destined to fail. Youll probably lose more in the first few weeks, then itll reduce to 1-2lbs a week. This is fine - keep at it, and before you know it youll be at your goal weight.Good luck!

thanks for the advice, hopefully if I get the job I have applied for I will be able to use the companys Gym free of charge, I walk roughly 40 minutes a day, I think I need to quit soft drinks problem is I am addicted to pepsi.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be taken in by any fad diet or weight watchers bollocks, just burn off more calories each day then you consume. The bigger the calorie deficit, the quicker you'll lose the weight. But dieting and exercise have to go hand in hand - if you don't do exercise (or just do cardio with no resistance training) your metabolism will slow down to compensate for the lack of nutrition.Get a gym membership, watch what you eat and don't call it a day after a couple of weeks because it's hard. 4 stone is a lot to lose - a common benchmark is 2pm per week, so it will take time.

AS someone who has always struggled with the podge, heres some words of wisdom. Weight Watchers Pro-Points - definately a good idea. Eat only " brown" carbs - in other words, brown pasta, brown rice, sweet potato instead of normal, wholegrain bread etc. Much lower GI than their white counterparts. Slow, steady cardio first thing in the morning - even just walking the dog. Make it 45 mins, and just enough to give you a light sweat...this will kick start your metabolism and burn fat, not muscle. Take up a new sport - something like kickboxing, or judo. This way, youll be doing a couple of hours of cardiona week whilst doing something you actually enjoy. And you forget that youre " working out" during the class. Forget " fad" diets or supplements - the only real way to lose weight, and keep it off, is to change the way you think about food, and expend more calories than you consume. It really is that simple. Any " lose a stone in a week" diet is always destined to fail. Youll probably lose more in the first few weeks, then itll reduce to 1-2lbs a week. This is fine - keep at it, and before you know it youll be at your goal weight.Good luck!

thanks for the advice, hopefully if I get the job I have applied for I will be able to use the companys Gym free of charge, I walk roughly 40 minutes a day, I think I need to quit soft drinks problem is I am addicted to pepsi.
Try Diet Coke - there is NOTHING in it! in fact, on weightwatchers yuo can drink as much diet coke as you like.

In future it will be just diet coke or water for me, I hate how I feel as I always feel hungry and I think i comfort eat which is having an awfull effect on me health and moods.

[/quote

I'm similar, i eat through boredom. Try stocking up on fruit etc, then if you want to snack, have a plum or an orange or something.

ALso, start buying magazines like Mens Health, FLEX etc...i find them really inspirational, and it helps to keep you on track.

I also took a photo of myself at my fattest, and keep it in my wallet. Then if im at the gym and losing motivation, I just take a look at how bad i used to look and it sorts me out. ALso works on the door of the fridge!

OK man, try this for a sample...Breakfast: 2 poached eggs on wholemeal toast OR porridge oats. MId Morning: Banana / Orange / AppleLUnch: Baked potato, beans, low fat cheese. Or Tuna with a low fat mayo, or mustard ( sounds grim but it works)Afternoon: fruit againDinner: Chicken Breast / Salmon Fillet, Broccoli, Sweet Potato Wedges ( cut a sweet potato into wedges, drizzle a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, then roast until crispy). If needed before bed: Protein Shake/ some scrambled eggs ( no bread - carbs at night are a big no-no!)See how you get on mate.

• Paid Members

I lost nearly 4 stone in 6 months this year, I wasn't gross or anything to begin with, I'm just a big built dude, now I look amazing.All I did was drink less coke, eat less snacks (crisps, chocolate & shit) and pay a vague attention to the ingredients I was using to cook (more veggies etc but certainly nothing too obsessive). Don't eat whatever you want whenever you feel like it but don't deprive yourself of anything permanently (if I knew I couldn't ever eat crisps again I know I couldn't stick to a diet).To be honest I wasn't even trying to lose weight I just moved to another country and was so busy changing my life that I thought about food less. Cycling is good but the weather will get a bit shit for that soon, losing weight is a lot harder in the winter, all you want to do is eat and keep warm so be careful with that.Also drugs work well (not weed so much) and don't drink loads of beer, get into neat spirits.Don't drink diet soft drinks, they're all disgusting.

• Paid Members

I lost nearly 4 stone in 6 months this year, I wasn't gross or anything to begin with, I'm just a big built dude, now I look amazing.All I did was drink less coke, eat less snacks (crisps, chocolate & shit) and pay a vague attention to the ingredients I was using to cook (more veggies etc but certainly nothing too obsessive). Don't eat whatever you want whenever you feel like it but don't deprive yourself of anything permanently (if I knew I couldn't ever eat crisps again I know I couldn't stick to a diet).To be honest I wasn't even trying to lose weight I just moved to another country and was so busy changing my life that I thought about food less. Cycling is good but the weather will get a bit shit for that soon, losing weight is a lot harder in the winter, all you want to do is eat and keep warm so be careful with that.Also drugs work well (not weed so much) and don't drink loads of beer, get into neat spirits.Don't drink diet soft drinks, they're all disgusting.

This. Other than the last two lines, I dont know much about drugs to comment there and I love Pepsi Max and Coke Zero. By doing the same as PSL I've lost about the same, though I am trying (and still am). Down from 18 stone to 14 stone 3 pounds.

Archived