Wcw Nitro v Wwe Raw

The Miz

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time it was WWF, as I watched that show more and had been a die hard fan since 1990 but looking back now I prefer WCW, I don't know what it is but I don't really enjoy watching whole episodes of RAW but will stick on a full episode of Nitro no bother, well at least until they went to 3 hours and the product started going down hill.

• Paid Members

Meh, both were excellent when they got it right. The nWo/Sting storyline will probably be my favourite storyline for life. They cocked up the end, but the months and months of the nWo looking rattled about Sting and Sting looking like the hardest man alive, was gold. It cemented Sting as my favourite wrestler, so many moments where you lost your shit.I don't think WCW had a year quite as good as WWF did in 2000. WWFs entire roster appeared to be megastars.

I only ever watched Raw from 1998 until late 2000.Don't think I'd ever seen an episode of Nitro until then, but I did watch the last few months of it on Bravo. Did the PPVs get shown on Sky? I remember being annoyed at not being able to see them at the time and bought a few of the videos.I really enjoyed the final few months of Nitro actually. Is general opinion the same?

Back in the day, I had little access to sky so I nearly always watched WWF Raw as that was what he watched. The one time we tried to experiment was in June/July 1998, we decided to watch WCW Nitro for the first hour and see if it was any good. The 1 hour had an endless fucking Tonight Show segment with Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan, then a 10 second match between Scott Norton (who we loved from the Revenge game) and then build for Jericho and Malenko. Raw I can;t really remember but it was miles better than the 1 hour of Nitro.

• Paid Members

To be honest, I used to watch both. I loved the nWo stuff but started getting more into WWE again once Bret turned heel and my favourite ever Wrestling angle of Hart Foundation vs the USA took over most of 1997.I missed large chunks of Nitro once we got Sky Digital and didn't get to see it again until Bravo picked up the rights. Unfortunately, by then Nitro was looking pretty small time and held in obviously smaller arenas etc with the production values having gone down pretty severely.Mind you, they were banging out cracking shows near the end.

Raw fo' sho. If I'm honest, when I think about it, I've always been a WWE fan first, wrestling fan second. Barring bits of the ITV era, my exposure to WCW as a whole was pretty limited in comparison to the WWF up until I started getting Power Slam and Nitro was airing on TNT, but even then I just viewed Nitro as sort of, "Oh, more wrestling, bonus", than "Wow, this is shitloads better/worse than WWE". Plus, I was still only 11/12 in 96, so I totally bought into the wrestling war, Vince's propaganda and WCW being the enemy. I still enjoyed the show, but I wouldn't be swapping Savio Vega vs Crush for the nWo on any day of the week because I was pretty well trained to enjoy Vince's product. I still am.My favourite year of Nitro is still 2000, because it's fucking potty. I liked having distinctly different propositions for my wrestling at that point. WWE was awesome, had all my favourite people having great matches and being funny, and was something my mates wanted to talk about for the first time since we were all about 7. WCW put shit on poles and broke character and stuff. It was all great.

As is often the case, NEWM's pretty much nailed the same answer I'd give as well. Apart from the WCW stuff, which I only remember following in PowerSlam in 2000. I was out boozing most Fridays at that time to try and fit in with the normal kids in sixth form, so I'd catch up with WWF over the weekend but never really bothered with WCW.

Friday night Channel 5 would get my viewing! Then later when Cartoon Netweork fucked off. My neighbour would invite me to watch Raw at his but I would mainly ask him to tape it so I could watch it with him on the Saturday and just watch Nitro. I think for me it was as mentioned before, it was a change from Triple H being the first and last on tv. I cant really remember much from watching WCW but I do remember enjoying it at the time. Buff Bagwell was one of my favourites. I used to do his little dance step hand switching thing and then pose. My friends at school called me Buff Daddy because I used to do his dance down the hallways while singing his entracne tune. I told one girl "I'm buff, I'm the stuff and the ladies just cant get enough" which got a good reception, she responded by laughing and then saying something like "Awww Barry you're too funy". So Buff Daddy I love you because that was a girl I was in love with at school. On a side note, I also did the worm on a table in my English class, so Scotty gets props for getting me props and laughter

Nitro by a country mile. I would always consider WWF as my 'home' promotion (it was the promotion I was exposed to first as well as being the easiest to follow on television) but, as someone has previously alluded to, 1996-98 WCW truly was an international promotion and played host to a huge array of matches and a wide range of talent that was only visable in pages of smarky magazines or the videos of tape-traders.

I was a RAW guy. Not entirely sure why. I tended to watch the first hour of Nitro (Cruiserweights!) and then switch over to watch RAW. I'd flick back and forth a bit, if RAW was boring, but WWF was always my preferred choice. In hindsight, I'm a bit surprised to be honest.

Richie, Buff Daddy was where it was at. I do remember telling my friend Nikolas who was a big Goldberg fan, that no one will ever again fear the spear and Goldberg feared the fire (being fired). WCW and WWF made my days at school bearable. I'd change into a random character and cut promos. I even flow ddted a kid onto a table in one class, although I dont think his head connected. Obviously I got sent out and away, DDT is a red card offense

Archived