You need to be 18 to buy BBQ sauce!

wigmonkey

Its happening in all the shops, not just Tesco.

Same thing happened a couple of months ago when my brother (in his mid-twenties) was getting a case of small bottles of Shandy in Asda, he didn't have his driving license on him so they wouldn't serve him. The label on the shandy read "<1% alcohol", its idiotic.

• Paid Members

He should have just drunk as much shandy bass as he could before he was forcibly removed by security in protest.

The whole challenge 25 thing is a load of shit anyway.

Edit: It flagged on the self service tills once for me buying some baileys truffles.

I don't mind the principle of asking for proof of age no matter how old the customer is when buying alcoholic drinks, that's how it's done in several other countries - no ID, no sale. A line should be drawn at a product though that is 1% proof.

I don't mind the principle of asking for proof of age no matter how old the customer is when buying alcoholic drinks, that's how it's done in several other countries - no ID, no sale. A line should be drawn at a product though that is 1% proof.

I also like to think people should be able to work out if someone is over the legal age as well. Its bad customer service really, its not like Simon is going to want to go back to Tesco and obviously him telling us this story discourages us from going and all for the sake of an ID.

Isn't this just a case of the checkout person being either inexperienced, stupid or a jobsworth? I think it says more about the person who went bleating to the tabloids over what must have been a rather minor inconvenience. Just go and get a different bottle of sauce and stop causing a hassle.

"Boozy Relish"? I thought the whole point of this story was that it wasn't 'boozy'? And it's a sauce, not a relish. The clue's in the name, dumb-dumb.

I'm someone who finds the fact you have to look 7 years older than the actual legal age to buy stuff pretty mental, so yeah this is daft but it doesn't surprise me.

As someone who has to ID people everyday i can totally understand it. We have a think 21 policy and i still get shitloads of abuse and threats.

I also like to think people should be able to work out if someone is over the legal age as well. Its bad customer service really, its not like Simon is going to want to go back to Tesco and obviously him telling us this story discourages us from going and all for the sake of an ID.

The obvious fallacy with that is some people look older than they really are. I could easily pass for 18 when I was 15 years old for example.

We have a real aversion to being offended if we are asked for proof of identity or proof of age, as if we carry a huge "don't you know who I am/what I am/how old I am?" chip on our shoulders. I accepted that I could have been ended up being asked for proof of age until I was around 22/23.

The obvious fallacy with that is some people look older than they really are. I could easily pass for 18 when I was 15 years old for example.

We have a real aversion to being offended if we are asked for proof of identity or proof of age, as if we carry a huge "don't you know who I am/what I am/how old I am?" chip on our shoulders.

I don't get offended, i just think the person serving me is obviously a moron, I sometimes politely make them aware of that fact before going elsewhere.

The other ridiculous thing is, that test purchasers aren't allowed to lie about their age, if they're asked for I.D they're only allowed to say they don't have any and get turned away without any protest. So if i'm stood there saying 'Actually i'm 23' it's my opinion the person serving me shouldn't give a shit.

Sorry for the double post, not used to posting in places i'm allowed to edit <.<

As for the actual topic at hand: it's ridiculous that someone got IDed for BBQ sauce at 1%... absolute lunacy. Mouthwash will be next.

We have a real aversion to being offended if we are asked for proof of identity or proof of age, as if we carry a huge "don't you know who I am/what I am/how old I am?" chip on our shoulders.

I don't get offended, i just think the person serving me is obviously a moron, I sometimes politely make them aware of that fact before going elsewhere.

Or doing their job. :rolleyes:

Archived