Best Indy Venues in the UK?

Forrest

The Jolly Beggar/Tam O'Shanter Burns Club in Coventry always held a good atmosphere.

I remember seeing Danielson there a few years back and thinking how weird it was that the guy who'd won awards as the best in-ring wrestler in the world was working in the upstairs room in a pub.

It's a working mans, not a pub. Tut tut.

Since we're being pedantic....... ;)

Courtesy of skiddle.com.

'A friendly pub located opposite the Coventry Skydome and next door to the Dragon Phoenix Restaurant'.

Any pics from inside the venue? I'm struggling to find some online.

http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Coventry/T...lub/nearby.html

Since you didn't provide a link from skiddle.com, I have done it for you.

You're welcome.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jolly Beggar/Tam O'Shanter Burns Club in Coventry always held a good atmosphere.

I remember seeing Danielson there a few years back and thinking how weird it was that the guy who'd won awards as the best in-ring wrestler in the world was working in the upstairs room in a pub.

It's a working mans, not a pub. Tut tut.

Since we're being pedantic....... ;)

Courtesy of skiddle.com.

'A friendly pub located opposite the Coventry Skydome and next door to the Dragon Phoenix Restaurant'.

Any pics from inside the venue? I'm struggling to find some online.

http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Coventry/T...lub/nearby.html

Since you didn't provide a link from skiddle.com, I have done it for you.

You're welcome.

Yeah, thanks.....

Are there any pics, however?

Houchen, you're from Coventry and an FA Cup winner, is it a pub or a Working Man's?

Sheesh, I stumbled across that when trying to find pictures of the venue. I added the wink to indicate I wasn't intending to have a go.

A working mans club is, for all intents and purposes, a pub.

You're the only one who seems to being picky about it.

The Shanter (it's not and never has been "The Tam") was a working mans for the sweaties, the Beggers (still called The Shanter by those in the know) was the same place with a different name. It's a working mans, as the link I provided and SBA didn't shows. He just lied about it.

Cracking darts venue. Years before, in the same room where John watched Danielson, The DartBreak Kid beat Kevin Painter in the opening round of the Midland Open and played an exhibition match against Steve Beaton that the Coventry Pink's Jim Marshall called "A match worthy of a Lakeside Final". Beaton beat me and I recorded the highest average I'd ever got when losing. 32.5 I think it was.

It came down to the deciding leg, I hit a 140 to leave a 119 checkout after The Bronze Adonis missed a dart at double 16. I hit a single 19, treble 20 to leave tops and as I was sizing up the shot to sink the Bee Gee, the dart in the T20 fell out and the crowd roared like it was a kickout at 2 and 3 quarters. I stepped back, shook my head and hit another T20.

Beaton checked out with his third dart and looked delighted with the win. Great match, great entertainment.

• Moderators
How about private member's clubs? Are they for all intents and purposes a pub?

Who cares?

Evidently both of us, as you won't shut the fuck up either.

Houchen, think, if you beat the Adonis of all the ladies you'd have breaking down your door. And not for professional reasons to boot.

Who cares?

Who cares?

You asked, I answered.

It says on that site [which Houchen, thank you, posted the link for] 'Type of venue: Bar/Pub' - that's all I was saying.

It wasn't a personal attack towards you.

• Paid Members

Here's a shot of the inside of said workies:

TXW_Coventry_050910_1585a.jpg

It was a fucking shithole, but it had an undeniable charm....

The Monaco Ballroom/Rose Club in Hindley, Wigan remains the best venue I've been in for British wrestling. It's GPW's home venue. Here's a crappy pic taken on my phone:

monacovs.jpg

I'll try find some more suitable pics...

Houchen, think, if you beat the Adonis of all the ladies you'd have breaking down your door. And not for professional reasons to boot.

There are a few tales of Warwickshire County away matches, rooming with him and the amount of fanny we went through but this is not the time nor the place ;)

Archived