Vintage football shit

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Despite living in Wales due to the topology of the area we got Midlands TV. And so
was my sunday soundtrack.

It was seemingly Wolves or Leicester every bastard week. Mind you though, it taught me who Robin Van Der Laan and Ricky Otto are.

It was great in the early 90s I could get S4C (great for Sgorio) and HTV Wales, Central TV and Granada TV so we'd get relevant highlight shows featuring teams from each region. Regularly get live Tranmere and Wolves games. Plus BBC Wales and S4C would show all the Welsh internationals.

Also Granada would always show the Manchester Utd champion league game during the week, so everyone in the Granada region got Utd v FC Kosice instead of Newcastle v Barcelona which was shown everywhere else like HTV and Central.

That Big Match theme tune is still one the greatest ever

In the back of Match magazine did anyone send of for those Mail orchestrated manager games? Before the internet you would receive your teams match result, scorers, ratings, injuries etc. Transfers, offers to your players from rival managers.A comprehensive breakdown of your teams performance, coupled with a news section for random gossip between the games managers. Problem was you had to pay for every aspect of change, be it changing your squad (10p per change), offers for other players, adverts for someone willing to sell you a left winger for a reasonable price whose overall rating was 80 and crossing and pace were at least 84 a-piece etc, seem to recall it was

Despite living in Wales due to the topology of the area we got Midlands TV. And so
was my sunday soundtrack.

It was seemingly Wolves or Leicester every bastard week. Mind you though, it taught me who Robin Van Der Laan and Ricky Otto are.

Aye but then you did get the epic QPR vs Port Vale Match

The introduction to the world of Gary Newbon as pitch side reporter, not so much

• Paid Members

Anyone have these cards? They were a collectable thing, where you played a little game with the points on the cards. "Francis Benalli wins you a throw-in" and shit like that. Nobody played with them though they were just for collection purposes.

manchester-united-peter-schmeichel-1995-96-subbuteo-squads-fa-premier-league-football-trading-card-9991-p.jpg

Another thing I had was this Gazza mug. SMUGS they were called. Had a Beckham and a Gazza.

gazz.jpg

I had that Cantona on the right as well.

442_l.jpg

Bloody hell that brings back some memories. I've still got the Keane, Cole, Schmeichel and Beckham heroes of the treble figures somewhere. I also had a Peter Schmeichel Smug, but I seem to have lost it. My favourite Mitre ball back when I was in school was the Cosmic. It was a bit more expensive than a Delta, but it lasted twice as long usually :laugh:

• Paid Members
Nov_5F00_mitre_5F00_monde_5F00_p2.jpg

If everyone came with a ball, the Mitre always won. I remember having a lovely Mitre Delta Premier League ball in the early 90's. I used to hate playing in the backlanes and scuffing and scratching it.

There was a lad at our school with a perfectly round head, his nickname was naturally 'Mitre Delta Premier League'

To this day as a 28 year old useless electrician when he enters certain pubs someone will call him Mitre Delta at a minimum

• Paid Members

Great thread! I've kept nearly all my stuff so im gonna bust the camera out later and get photo's up on here :)

I was a mail order manager too, such a waste of money when your 12 but at the time i thought it was ghd greatest thing ever. Waiting for my mail was some nail biting stuff. Im pretty sure the one i played was called 'The Gaffer'. It never actually dawned on me as to where that shit was actually generated, thinking back though it was probably some speccy bloke on his home computer who'd mastered excel laughing maniacally as the money rolled in. Great memories.

Ill get some photo's up later...

• 4 weeks later...

I've bumped this thread as my niece has had my old lego out and on the side was this glorious array of stickers, particularly brilliant was forum legend Vinny Samways playing snooker and Grobbelaar perving in the bushes.

k1AQM.jpg

In the Lego my brother also found two of them pog things, Lee Dixon and Ian Bishop, they are now in his wallet I think :laugh:

Fernando Hierro player issued WC 2002 Predator Mania FG's; he was so fucking cool Adidas didn't even do full or half size's for him. No sir. Mr Hierro has them customised to one decimal point on the size scale with different sizes for each foot !

I got that done on these boots at Adidas in London circa 2005/2006, they were so comfortable to wear, best boots ever.

football-boots-adidas-predator-mania-japan-blue.jpg

41R7TAM823L._SS500_.jpg

Use to love reading these books after getting them from the library. Don't remember the covers being so garish though, unless it's a newer version.

Fucking hell, this brings back way too many memories. My head's going to explode with all this nostalgia. Napper books were amazing to me as a kid, I worshipped them and Renford Rejects. I bought Match and Shoot every week and collected the tabs (I never used them for the tables, it was always for mock FA Cup draws.) as well as getting the Panini Scottish annuals. Everyone either had the trophy or the logo on the front page, never both. Also, if we're going to talk Football games.

FIFA_98_cover.jpg

They've never topped it, ever. The second greatest football game? ISS 64. N64 was stupidly underrated as a console and neither Pro Evo or FIFA have ever come close again. My top 5 games...

1. FIFA 98

2. ISS 64

3. LMA Manager 2007 (It really tears me apart that they never did a sequel)

4. FIFA Manager (It was around the '96 mark anyway)

5. Italia '90

Also, I have a deep, deep fascination with 90s football aesthetics. Not only were the shirts amazingly garish, but even just the general look of 90s football with the different logos on the shirts and boards (Champions League logo for example), I just think they look dull now, less creativity. It was a ham-fisted time for aesthetics, but I loved it. Everything's too grey and boring now. (Although, I could just be mental)

Archived