Vintage football shit

IANdrewDiceClay

Used to play this all the time on my old amstrad when I was a kid.

theofficialfacupricoche.th.jpg

Can't remember much about it apart from it was text based and you'd have to pick about 10 teams and then if you wanted your teams to attack or defend. Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham seemed to win a lot, no matter who and what you picked. I always picked sunderland and bury but never could get them to the final, never mind a win.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Used to play this all the time on my old amstrad when I was a kid.

theofficialfacupricoche.th.jpg

I think I remember that one. Seemed a bit of a pointless footie game. What you did didn't change anything in the game at all (IIRC). No player or formation selection or nothing. Just select a few teams. Watch how they go.

I'd like to think there is a worse computer game than this, but I'm not sure. Kenny Dalglish Soccer was atrocious, if you were not perfectly in line with the ball you would run past it. Just to make it balanced out, the opposition would do the same. So, imagine, you would have players just running from left to right and back, while the ball sat, waiting patiently for someone to collect it.

Better, I had Kick Off. My first real football game and I loved it. You could change club names and there was various levels ranging from Sunday League up. I remember the wee map in the corner and the occasions where your goalkeeper would stand by the corner flag. Brilliant.

I also had Kick-off 3 for the Amiga, which was great as well.

I miss my Amiga.

Any kid who had a Megadrive usually got this in of of those 6-in-1 cartridges which contained World Cup Italia '90.

italia90megadrive.jpg

genesis_world_cup_italia_90_2.gif

italia90.jpg

A game where fouls didn't exist and whenever you received the ball, the little arrow made you look like some kind of peacock running up the wing. Hours of fun were had.

The goalkeepers also became human bananas on the penalty shootouts. It was rock hard that game, I hated it. It wasn't as bad as World Cup USA 94 on the Megadrive. That was absolutely dire, terrible camera view, awful gameplay, ridiculously hard, naff intro music. Just bile.

• Paid Members

Cult Games were the KINGS of the football simulation games up here. They brought out some good titles (for the time): "The Footballer", "British Super League". I remember "Soccer 7" getting an unbelievable amount of plays by myself too. I remember you could change the kits in it, which was like NASA stuff, at the time, on the Speccy. Good stuff.

For no reason, here is the "

" theme..

ADDED: Remember how after the George Graham "bung" carry-on every Amiga football game had a "offer a bung?" option. Oh well.

• Moderators

Despite living in Wales due to the topology of the area we got Midlands TV. And so

was my sunday soundtrack.

It was seemingly Wolves or Leicester every bastard week. Mind you though, it taught me who Robin Van Der Laan and Ricky Otto are.

• Paid Members
Despite living in Wales due to the topology of the area we got Midlands TV. And so
was my sunday soundtrack.

It was seemingly Wolves or Leicester every bastard week. Mind you though, it taught me who Robin Van Der Laan and Ricky Otto are.

Whoa Black Betty

<Van Der Laan>

Whoa Black Betty

<Van Der Laan>

Black Betty had a child

<Van Der Laan>

The damn thing gone wild

<Van Der Laan>

• Paid Members
Any kid who had a Megadrive usually got this in of of those 6-in-1 cartridges which contained World Cup Italia '90.

italia90megadrive.jpg

genesis_world_cup_italia_90_2.gif

italia90.jpg

A game where fouls didn't exist and whenever you received the ball, the little arrow made you look like some kind of peacock running up the wing. Hours of fun were had.

The goalkeepers also became human bananas on the penalty shootouts. It was rock hard that game, I hated it. It wasn't as bad as World Cup USA 94 on the Megadrive. That was absolutely dire, terrible camera view, awful gameplay, ridiculously hard, naff intro music. Just bile.

Italia '90 was my first football game, I thought it was hilarious, especially as when you got the ball and ran "up" the pitch it sounded like a deformed rhino giving birth or something.

Sensible soccer on the mega-drive will always be the best football game ever made. Spent hours on it playing Custom leagues as "Flower power" - "Tulip" and "rhododendron" were my top scorers, always fighting daffodil for the top spot.

Brilliant.

I too had the Corinthian 'Big 'ead' footy players. Me and my cousin would distribute them into about 8 teams of 6 (cos we had 7 'keepers) and run mini league's with them, ironing our subbuteo pitch and stapling to a big wooden board, nicking the subbuteo ball and Premier League trophy. The trophy standing next to 'El Tel' Venebles! We'd make little paper money, each team being allocated

Archived