Vintage football shit

IANdrewDiceClay

The second you become a man is when you start buying Four Four Two and WSC instead of Match and Shoot.

Match and Shoot have become massively kidified in the last decade or so though. I remember people used to bring them to secondary school in the late 80s early 90s and they were far more intelligent. Match used to have reports and player ratings for all 4 divisions games.

Nowadays they are just full of pictures of Man Utd, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona players with speech bubbles saying stuff like "Yo Rooney I iz well good innit". They're clearly aimed at kids whose experience of football is limited to watching it on TV and playing football computer games, as opposed to actually going to games and playing it for real, outside.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My first collection memories are of the Mexico 86 album

mexico86pack.JPG

Mexico-86.jpg

Not long after completing it and seeing how excited we were, my Dad produced the Spain 82 annual along with tons of unopened sticker packets.

paninicover.jpg

I've no idea where they are now, probably in my mum and dad's attic.

• Paid Members

premierleague1997album141px.jpg

That was the first one where I started collecting the Merlin stuff religiously till about 01/02 I'd say.

I can't remember the name for the life of me and I'm not at my parents right now so I can't even look in the attic, but there was a late 90's, early 00's football magazine that basically consisted of a load of pull out pages which you organised into a folder. I think it was arranged by positions and teams and stuff. Each page would be gently peeled off then organised into the folder at one's leisure. I loved that.

• Paid Members
The second you become a man is when you start buying Four Four Two and WSC instead of Match and Shoot.

Match and Shoot have become massively kidified in the last decade or so though. I remember people used to bring them to secondary school in the late 80s early 90s and they were far more intelligent. Match used to have reports and player ratings for all 4 divisions games.

Nowadays they are just full of pictures of Man Utd, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona players with speech bubbles saying stuff like "Yo Rooney I iz well good innit". They're clearly aimed at kids whose experience of football is limited to watching it on TV and playing football computer games, as opposed to actually going to games and playing it for real, outside.

Couldn't agree more. I didn't miss a single edition of Match or Shoot for around 4 years, from 1993 or so until 1997.

I read a copy in the newsagents recently. It was shit.

Fucking hell, seeing them Pog things and marbles created one of them moments when memories just flood back, great stuff Ian. Had a few of both of those.

Had and still have a tonne of the corinthian figures. Used to love playing matches with them and the subbuteo ball/nets and especially having a big knockout penalty shootout with them which someone like Tim Breaker or Gary Penrice would end up winning. I always remember that Nicolas Anelka in the Arsenal away kit would never stand up the lanky bastard. Oh and for some reason I had a Roy Evans one too. Did anyone get them cricket ones they did for a bit? Think i've still got a Dominic Cork and Jack Russell knocking around somewhere.

Also got the sticker book every year. Got to the point where I'd do the sending off for indivdual stickers thing and one year I'd stuck Ed De Goey in Mark Bosnich's place and didn't notice so ended up with 2 Ed De Goey's and no Mark Bosnich and it remains un-complete :( Think I've got another completed though.

Oh and something I've just remembered please, please tell me someone remembers the sheets of kit tabs you'd get at the start of each season (not sure where they were from, possibly match) but they were just little kits you'd pop out of the sheet. I used to love em, think i'd do like FA Cup draws with em and somehow decide a winner. Ah, childhood

I was obsessed with Merlin Premier League stickers when I was a youngster. I was obsessed to the point where I'd literally cry outside the school gates if my Mum hadn't bought me a packet before she came to collect me.

Anyone remember the annual swap shop style events they held in big indoor arena's? I went to a few at the old GMEX in Manchester. I remember coming back with shit loads of free stuff.

Thank fuck I grew out of it all before this fucker was released.

Merlin2002Chadwick.jpg

• Paid Members
Merlin Premier League 1994 Sticker Album:

collectible-1911.jpg

Looking at that pic brought make memories of when I first became obsessed with football. I had been a fan since 1990, caught up in the Italia 90 buzz no doubt, but this album pushed me over the edge. Everyone needed the Ipswich Town badge shiny to complete it, when I eventually found it I felt- well it's hard to describe. But I would imagine taking ecstasy is like it. A massive, massive feeling of joy and empathy, then a huge comedown when I realised it was all over.

team_tactixsmall.jpg

Now although this was well before my time, my friend got it from a car boot sale and we had a cracking time. I seem to remember Clive Allen being the best striker in the game, or one of them at least. It was brilliant, like Football Manager, but a board game

bolivia-home-football-shirt-1994-s_4149_1.jpg

I bought this shirt. To this day I'm still not sure why

Deviating slightly from the norm here but along the same lines i am big into collecting football shirts and, maybe more so, old football boots either for reselling or collecting. Main interest is the Adidas Predator Range and i've got about 40+ pairs of boots sitting around mostly new but a few match worn or player issue i've managed to acquire.

Some of my special ones:

_38101042_hierro200x300.jpg

Fernando Hierro player issued WC 2002 Predator Mania FG's; he was so fucking cool Adidas didn't even do full or half size's for him. No sir. Mr Hierro has them customised to one decimal point on the size scale with different sizes for each foot !

sport-graphics-2003_747171a.jpg

Similar story except these were actually match worn whilst at Deportivo and not brand new, Predator Precision model this time from 2000-2001 ish. Build quality was amazing compared to the ones we could buy from the shops; none of your 'made in Taiwan' shenanigans here - these boys all came off the German production line at Adidas HQ. Also had his kids' names and squad number embroidered into the heels and tongue. Not sure if this was before Beckham started the craze but a nice touch.

_39223120_geremi_ap245x300.jpg

Pair of player issue Lizarazu Predator Manias from the WC 2002. Like the Hierro one's they weren't worn but still an amazing thing to hold onto.

cm98_france_bresil.jpg

Predtor Accelerator soft ground from 1998 world cup, sold as being Christian Karambeu player issue but cannot 100% say either way if it's true despite them being a superior quality, again, to the ones the public could buy at retail.

elber18.jpg

Giovane Elber played issue boots, not in the best of condition but legit. They are back at my mums for safe keeping but from memory i was amazed at how small they were; he had absolutely toaty feet!

Also got a stack of Manias, Accelerators and Precisions i bought brand new to hold onto as i knew they would only increase in value. Particularly some of the rarer colour designs:

13.jpg

3031453427_49cc765c4b.jpg

172_26758_d26a738780e67f6.jpg

post-323703-1254852341_thumb.jpg

z0SC.jpg

ADI_10051_F.jpeg

football-boots-adidas-predator-mania-japan-blue.jpg

If anyone is interested next time i'm home at my parents' i'll get them out and take proper photos.

• Paid Members

There's one of these in my mum and dad's attic that we recently dusted off.

thaisellingp6198543n1.jpg

We only had the bog standard version of Subbuteo, no fancy cups.

subbuteo.jpg

There was another game I had, it was a bit like tip kick but the players were bigger, they came in red and blue and it had a blue and red ball that had the look of a glitterball, any ideas?

Archived