ROH BACK ON TV!

markyyboyy

Ian, I edited my last post also, giving my thoughts on the actual TV show in question. I fully agree about the man making the moves, that was my point about Piper getting a great response to every little thing he did.

I fully agree about Aries, he's fucking class and knows exactly how to work to TV cameras.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
I fully agree about Aries, he's fucking class and knows exactly how to work to TV cameras.

That's why FCW is so great and I don't understand why people have moaned in the past about Indy starlets having to go there instead of starting straight on TV. Wrestling and Wrestling for TV are completely different things in my eyes. How many times in the opening ROH TV match weren't performed for the hard camera? A fair few. Knowing where the cameras are and performing for them is vital in my eyes.

• Paid Members

Thats exactly it. When the likes of Arn Anderson and Triple H say "they cant work", they mean dont they cant wrestle or perform. Most of ROH could work untelevised house shows now if WWE wanted. But WWE is a television based product and has so much stuff that the indpendents and even TNA dont have. The ring for a start is bigger, the ropes are more loose and they dont use lift cables. If WCW had a developmental, Bret Hart could have used a few weeks down there himself. Actually, Bret should have went down the Power Plant for a few weeks before debuting. He admits in his book, it took him months to get used to the smaller ring, the thick tight ropes and the bouncy canvas. And his turnbuckle bump looked shite with the heavy leather covers. Also, the camera positioning and the amount of cameras you have to learn to adapt to working with is the main difference from the indies and TNA. You need to learn to work several cameras, with your facial expressions and selling. Also, in TNA, ROH or the Indys, Kevin Dunne isnt in the referees earpiece telling them to hurry the fuck up and get out the ring because Del Rio's cars ready to go through the curtain.

TNA need to be better at this, some of their guys still forget to play to the hard camera. Scott Steiner is a tinker for this as he's often flipping off the crowd on the opposite side. That's cool, but all we see at home is his broad back.

Is the TNA ring now the same size as the WWE ring? Are they both 20ft?

I noticed how guys used to block each other out when Gene Okerlund interviewed them. Flair did it to the point where Okerlund had to direct him to the hard camera. Savage was bad too. I wouldn't have thought it'd take too long to adapt to at all. I completely agree about it not being a slap in the face going to FCW too.

I noticed how guys used to block each other out when Gene Okerlund interviewed them. Flair did it to the point where Okerlund had to direct him to the hard camera. Savage was bad too. I wouldn't have thought it'd take too long to adapt to at all. I completely agree about it not being a slap in the face going to FCW too.

THIS! A lot of fans online get on their high horse about their favourite fanboy crush being sent to development "He's too good to go to FCW. Vince is an idiot. But he toured Japan. blah blah blah" to be honest you would be an idiot to not want to see what you need tweeking, different styles/companies/audiences require different approaches. Look even Danielson who has tons of international tours etc and trained by some of the best and has been courted by everyone even he wanted to improve and not appear rusty. Its part of being professional in your career and these guys at times will and do need tweeking espcially around TV cameras hopefully around SBG execs and the like they will learn some showbiz tricks and tv magic.

ROH's ring is now 20ft btw or so it was reported, TNA's ring is blatently smaller gotta be 18 cant be 16 can it ? sometimes it does look mega dinky mind when you got a big tag team in there or triple threat or multi-man match featuring more.

The point you're so horrifically missing, Richie, is that the WWE won't pretend that the muppets are real characters; Hornswaggle is a tongue-in-cheek sideshow for the kids. Whereas in that clip, and in ROH in general, these guys are pretending these moves are real, and they blatantly aren't.As Cornette said many years ago before he started taking the ROH dollar, wrestling is about moves that are safe to perform but look like they hurt. Those high impact acrobatics probably do a lot more damage than they actually appear to, which is completely wrong.

So what's the alternative then? 20 minutes of chinlocks and strength contests? I personally like the product that ROH are putting out there, and although I've been watching WWE recently, once the Punk angle fades away only to give more time over to the usual shite I'll more than likely stop watching.I also tend to not post much in WWE threads, simply because I don't really like the stuff. I suggest others do the same here.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The opening promo with World's Greatest Tag Team wasn't bad. Everything makes sense in it's own way. Haas and Benjamin want to kill The Briscoes, and Jim Cornette doesn't want to reward them with the tag title shot against them, so it's an awkward position. Gets things going between those two teams.

Mike Bennett vs. Jimmy Jacobs

Mike Bennett certainly looks good and you can see why ROH are hot on him, but he bores the shit out of me. He doesn't need the shitty manager though. I like the kinda Mickey through back with the manager, but the guy is useless. The match is fine really. Nothing to write home about but it does the job of Mike Bennett looking good and getting the clean win which was the important thing, and against an established ROH name. Also makes him look like a bit of a dick. So it ticks the all the boxes.

Don't give a shit about the Eddie Edwards video thing. Wound up skipping it after a while. I liked the Davey Richards/Roderick Strong ones though. Roderick Strong comes across as a RIGHT cunt, while Davey Richards is simply "I want to kill this dick." ... better than any of the video stuff from the week before.

Jay Lethal vs. El Generico

Disappointed that ROH didn't have faith in El Generico as the TV champ as he's one of the most popular in ROH and with good reason. Oh, and that "Wrestling... YAY!!!" shout from the crowd can just fuck right off. Bunch of spanners. They telegraph the time limit draw here which I don't really find helpful at all. Would have been an anticlimax if it ended in the 15 though as it was only just beginning to go into the final gears. They get the extra time and wind up pulling out the final stretch that the match deserved. Hot crowd and a cracking match. The first one I've really enjoyed on the show so far.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I really enjoyed this episode. Thought the main event was really good and there was other naw bad stuff going on.

Right, thoughts on the show.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Jay Briscoe can talk, I'll give him that. The point is simply made. Sets up the main event for the next week's TV and keeps the fued with Haas and Benjamin going as well.

Ciampa vs. Ridge: I absolutely love Project Ciampa as a finisher, it has to be said. It looks utterly vile. The match itself was pretty messy for the most part. Both guys did some decent stuff and looked good at points. Ciampa also looked like an utter beast at times, and especially at the end and I think that was the point of the match, so I guess that it's job done.

I still love Roderick Strong's cocky demeanor. It seems forced at times, but it's still quite good.

Strong vs. Richards: I think this is actually the best match these two guys have had. They didn't overdo the nearfalls which is something that can be a feature of big Davey Richards matches. What we wound up getting was a pretty intense two sided battle. Really enjoyable.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Archived