ROH BACK ON TV!

markyyboyy

Two butterfly suplexes, a double team DDT, followed by a german suplex. I don't see how it is contrived.

Chris Hero could make it in WWE as a solid mid card guy who occasionally makes an appearance on the rung below the main event. He'll need to worked on being a bit more ripped, add a tan and rework his style a little. His promo's are okay, better than some of the mid card talents like John Morrison, Ezekiel and those kind of guys but not on the level of the top tier talent by far. He'd get by and make a nice living like Daniel Bryan is. Every guy gets a chance at some point it's just a case of who makes something of it and behaves correctly.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a hugely telegraphed and obviously rehearsed sequence, that's why. I know in my black little heart that wrestling is fake, but shoving it in your face like that is piss poor. That's one of the worst examples of flip-floppery since Jody Fleisch and Jonny Storm were shitting up halls across the country with their top rope ballet.

That's one of the worst examples of flip-floppery since Jody Fleisch and Jonny Storm were shitting up halls across the country with their top rope ballet.

At least THEIR stuff looked good. Well, not to someone who can't take the over contrived stuff ( I do NOT mean that as a dig ), but I thought their CZW match was utterly godly.

I never bothered checking much ROH out after TWC shut up shop, and watching that show just reminded me why.

All that contrived, over-elaborate indy shit like what's in that gif is pretty ridiculous. It's more like watching a video game with all the silly combos. Fortunately you don't get much if any of that kinda thing polluting the big leagues. I can live with a couple of locomotion suplexes or a punch/kick flurry, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

The main event was mildly entertaining, if forgettable, and all that melodramatic shit in the highlights between the matches almost had me hiding my face behind a cushion. I'm just generally not a fan of the concept of RoH where it's focussed on the competition at the expense of characters and stories though. I don't really want to watch wrestling to be concerned with 'respecting' them all for what they put their bodies through.

On the bright side, I thought the production was good, if a bit dark. Far better than most US indies i've saw.

One minor thing re. those mid show highlights;, booking a unique and well known venue like the Hammerstein ballroom and dimming the lights so it looks much the same as anywhere doesn't seem like a great idea.

• Paid Members
I do find it odd that ROH fans find something like that perfectly acceptable but have a problem with Cena's "fake offence" and "no selling". Fin Martin being the best example.

It's because many (not all) ROH fans like to portray themselves as wrestling snobs, pure and simple. DDD is the absolutely perfect example of that. A few months back on here there was a discussion of that Samoa Joe-Kenta Kobashi match, where a few people, in my opinion rightly, criticised a lot of the offence in it for being repetitive and nothing more than a chop-fest.

He popped his head in, as is his wont, made a comment about preferring it to an 'Orton-HHH punch and kick fest' and then promptly left because he is in fact incapable of engaging in a discussion with anyone that dares to criticise ROH. It's why you only ever see him in the ROH thread. He's safe in there.

But to be fair to him, he's not the only one. There were a lot like that on TWCF a few years back. And I think it's mostly to do with where the wrestlers are from. Take Jeff Hardy, for example, when he made an appearance at one of their shows a few years back and got booed out of the building. I asked someone on TWCF a few years back why they did that:-

"Because he's a shit WWE spot monkey."

"But you cheer Jack Evans. He's a shit spot monkey, isn't he?"

No reply. If the roles had been reversed and Hardy had the exact same moveset but had had the background that Evans had and that Evans had come through WWE, it would have been Evans getting the shit.

I used to like a lot of ROH stuff when it was on TWC. Colt Cabana's cracking feud with Homicide, a lot of Punk's stuff, the start of the Age Of The Fall angle, Danielson's brilliant and subtle morphing into a heel and probably a bunch more. But I realised I haven't missed watching ROH one iota yet when I wasn't watching WWE for a couple of years but recently got right back into it, I realised that I had REALLY missed it.

But to be fair to him, he's not the only one. There were a lot like that on TWCF a few years back. And I think it's mostly to do with where the wrestlers are from. Take Jeff Hardy, for example, when he made an appearance at one of their shows a few years back and got booed out of the building.

There was a guy called Krazy K that was MUCH worse than Hardy in that match. Now, Hardy was pretty sloppy and looked like he didn't want to be there, but he still managed to do a decent job. Everyone still goes on about how bad it was though. Mind boggling.

few months back on here there was a discussion of that Samoa Joe-Kenta Kobashi match, where a few people, in my opinion rightly, criticised a lot of the offence in it for being repetitive and nothing more than a chop-fest.

I will defend that match to the death. I absolutely adored it. It's not just the crowd. The timing of the spots was just perfect. It's the ROH version of Rock/Hogan. They played off the crowd and just measured the match out. Stunning.

• Paid Members

Watched it last night, and thought it was fairly good!

The main things i picked out to work on are: Waaaaaay to much Kevin Kelly and the recap segment was a big long, but in all honesty after watching the re-cap of the world title match, i now want to, nay, NEED to see Richards Vs Edwards as it looks just sick, so maybe that was the idea, but it could of been a much shorter re-cap with the odd shorter match thrown into replace that.

Bar that, The main event was fun. I Love the Kings (or loved, depending on if Hero makes it to the 'E), and Futureshock suprised me as i thought they would be a bit rubbish. Also the bravados suprised me alot, as i had never seen them before and there look just screams "Rubbish" to me, but i was very pleasently suprised!

Great to see Nigel back, wouldnt mind a brief in ring return, but i doubt its in his best interests to be honest.

All in all, I'd say 7/10. Not the best by far, but had a decent little "old school ECW" Vibe to it, with loads of room for improvement!

Bring on episode 2!

Archived