"Mediocre" tag teams from yesteryear who'd rule today

tiger_rick

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The Faces of Fear would be monster of team now.

Great shout. Though I'm biased, I would've put the WCW title on Meng in 2000!

What about that WCW jobber tag team, the one with Kaos. Name completely escapes me. Both big blokes who bumped around well. I reckon they'd be decent these days.

• Paid Members

I always felt they missed the boat on the Boss Man and Perfects team in 2002. They brought back Hall, Nash, Hogan and Flair about a month after Perfect returned, so his stock diminished hugely when they came in. The tag division was dying back then. Boss Man and Perfect would have been a nice little act. A wiley veteran team never fails to get over.

EDIT: Rick, you're thinking of High Voltage.

What about that WCW jobber tag team, the one with Kaos. Name completely escapes me. Both big blokes who bumped around well. I reckon they'd be decent these days.

High Voltage by any chance?

WCW had quite a few jobber level tandems over the years from what I can remember.

EDIT

Ian beat me to it.

• Paid Members

Norton and Bagwell would get over huge now as well. A big man and a little annoying man (who could work before he got paralysed and lost a lot of his athleticism) would do wonders today. If you had the right guys of course. Nash and Eric Young had that spell where they were really entertaining in late 2009. Nash seemed to be really motivated to help Young out as well. Something like that could get over in WWE I think. Nash and Cody Rhodes in a little uppercard comedy duo would be brilliant. Nash's forte is teaming with smaller wrestlers. Shawn Michaels in the WWF, Syxx in WCW, Eric Young in TNA etc.

Norton and Bagwell would get over huge now as well. A big man and a little annoying man (who could work before he got paralysed and lost a lot of his athleticism) would do wonders today. If you had the right guys of course. Nash and Eric Young had that spell where they were really entertaining in late 2009. Nash seemed to be really motivated to help Young out as well. Something like that could get over in WWE I think. Nash and Cody Rhodes in a little uppercard comedy duo would be brilliant. Nash's forte is teaming with smaller wrestlers. Shawn Michaels in the WWF, Syxx in WCW, Eric Young in TNA etc.

Nash and Ziggler would make a cracking double act.

• Paid Members

As a youngster I truly detested the RTC, to the point where at one point they challenged the Dudley Boyz to a table match and if they lost, tables would be banned FOREVER in the WWF and the thought of that genuinely terrified me. I fucking hated Ivory after what she did to Chyna as well.

As kids, people hated the RTC and even the more adult and clued up amongst you would hate them in terms of workrate, general shitness and so on. In this post 9/11 age and with all the health and safety crackdowns and everything, they'd be absolute solid gold today. I don't think it's ever something you'd see in a main event setting, or have one of the members become a main eventer within it or anything, but a similar gimmick would be an absolute stormer. It's so tough these days for a heel to be genuinely disliked by everybody, both marks/non marks and the like, but this is one of few such scenarios where I think people portraying these roles would be absolutely impossible to like.

It would even be good for babyface midcarders with nothing better to do, the crowds would instantly get behind them and want them to beat the crap out on the censors and so on.

• Paid Members
Damm I was just about to say Power and Glory I thought their finisher ruled, I think The Headshrinkers would rule if they were built properly like they did with Umaga when he first came in.

They weren't mediocre though, were they? They were a cracking tag team. They were probably having the most fun squash matches at the time they were in the WWF as well.

The APA were an odd team, actually. Their backstage stuff is far more memorable than any matches they ever had, and they were around for a few years doing that role and only having occasional matches as well. They really provided cracking variety though as guns for hire and they never felt like they needed the tag titles either.

Archived