My Best Film: Stanley Kubrick

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Haven't seen Killer's Kiss, but I might have to give it a go. According to Wiki he done pretty much everything on that movie- director, producer, screenplay, writer, editor, cinematography. He must've been fucking knackered.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a self confessed Kubrick fanboy.

Delighted to see Paths Of Glory getting the love it deserves, it is an incredible film, as are all of his. With regard to Full Metal Jacket,I always see it as a mirror to A Clockwork Orange. A Clockwork Orange has a first half of anarchy and a second half of dehumanisation. Full Metal Jacket has it the other way round. Visually, Barry Lyndon is stunning. The way things open like a postcard and slowly zooms in is still jaw dropping to this very day. 2001 the same, didn't Neil Armstong say something along the lines of we went to the moon but Kubrick got there first. Remember that, 2001 was made before we landed on the moon!

I think PT Anderson is the heir to the throne, as he says "We are all the sons of Kubrick". There Will Be Blood is a Kubrick film, the symmetry of the shots is straight outta Kubrick.

As for his best film, I can't choose. I really can't.

• Paid Members
Delighted to see Paths Of Glory getting the love it deserves, it is an incredible film

Would you say it's the best war film you've ever seen? I was thinking about this last night and I'm not sure I can think of anything that tops it, for me.

• Paid Members
Delighted to see Paths Of Glory getting the love it deserves, it is an incredible film

Would you say it's the best war film you've ever seen? I was thinking about this last night and I'm not sure I can think of anything that tops it, for me.

I'd say its certainly up there, along with Cross Of Iron, Grand Illusion and All Quiet On The Western Front

Jeez, now that's another difficult one! I rather pretentiously say that great war films are not about war but the people who fight the war. Paths of Glory is hard to top but chokeout's suggestion of Cross Of Iron is up there.

Will have to get back to you on this one!

• Paid Members

Jeez, now that's another difficult one! I rather pretentiously say that great war films are not about war but the people who fight the war. Paths of Glory is hard to top but chokeout's suggestion of Cross Of Iron is up there.

Will have to get back to you on this one!

I'm pretty sure you'll love Grand illusion (if you've not already seen it). Theres a rumor that when Germany invaded France they actually attempted to seize the negatives because of its portrayal of the German army during WW1

• Paid Members

Disgracefully I have never seen any of those. Pathetic. That said, the only one that I've seen that I think rivals Paths Of Glory is Apocalypse Now, but it's so very different in almost every way that it's not really a fair comparison.

I tend to like the more offbeat war films like Ice Cold In Alex, which I think many people wouldn't regard as a war film at all.

Archived