Shows with a HOFer in every match

JNLister

• Paid Members

Again. Important point to make.

Everyone knows he will be in at some point. EVERYONE. It's really not in question. It's just a case that he hasn't gone in yet.

It works in a couple of ways - people are on a ballot, which is a pretty long list. If their vote rises above a certain threshold, they're in. If it falls below a certain threshold, they're out. Sting, if memory serves, has been a strong contender for ages. Jericho was generally a weaker contender, but the timing of the vote happened at a point when he dramatically upped his game. I think the same thing happened with Edge.

For a while, it just hasn't been Sting's year - not whether there's any question of if he goes in or not eventually.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aside from a few C shows in the mid 80s, a couple of months run with Savage, and one PPV against Sting, Jake never main evented shows, not even B shows. It's very hard for somebody in that position, no matter how well-known, to get in.

Is that the sort of thing that's taken in to consideration when they vote for names to be inducted then? How does the voting system work then?

If it's based on main event status then somebody like Goldberg does need to be inducted for all the money he drew. What about Savage? I'm fairly sure I didn't see his name on the list? Does being a legend (like Jake) not necessarily gauarantee a place in the HOF?

• Paid Members

Savage was put in the year the hall was created, which was done without a vote. Official criteria is:

To be eligible, a performer must have reached their 35th birthday and completed ten years since their debut as a full-time performer, or someone who has been a full-time pro wrestler for at least 15 years.

The basic criteria for the Hall of Fame is a combination of drawing power, being a great in-ring performer as well as having historical significance in a positive manner. A candidate should have something to offer in all three categories, or be someone so strong in one or two of those categories that they deserve inclusion.

Longevity should be a prime consideration rather than a hot two or three year run, unless someone is so significant as a trend-setter in the business, or valuable to the industry, that they should be included. However, just longevity, without being either a long-term main eventer, a top draw and/or top caliber worker should be seen as relatively meaningless.

How is Jake Roberts not in the HOF? Just as surprised by the lack of Sting. What about Goldberg not being on there? He's one of those names that would divide oppinion, he was arguably one of the biggest draws during arguably the greatest ever period for wrestling so whilst he may not have been the greatest worker his impact defianetly should be recognised. Thats the thing with stuff like this, it's always down to people's oppinions and interpretations or politics.

For what its worth, I think Goldberg is a great wrestler. Which I doubt many people will agree with. Admittedly he's only really great when booked in a very specific manner, but he more than excels at what he's good at. I love Eddie's wrestling and think he was one of the greats but if he had been booked he way Goldberg had been booked when he was at his most popular he more than likely wouldn't have been able to pull it off. Just as Goldberg couldn't have pulled off what Eddie had pulled off. There's very few workers who are good at anything, most need to be booked in the right way to look great. Goldberg was booked very well in a very hot period, but he really ran with what they gave him. There's many others who would have flunked it. Wrestling's about variety. Certainly American wrestling is. People forget that sometimes. You don't have to be able to go twenty minutes to be a great wrestler. Although having said all this I wouldn't put Goldberg in a Hall of Fame. I don't think he has the longevity really.

And I don't think the argument that 'Sting will go in there one day' is valid really. I mean, I should bloody hope he will but it still means that Jericho has gone in there before him. Which is silly. Doesn't mean a damn in the long run of course, but there's no way Jericho deserved to be in there now on what he's done when Sting isn't in there yet. It again comes to the problem of inducting wrestlers who arn't currently active, which is bollocks really. Well its all bollocks, all Hall of Fames are, they don't matter a damn. Legends arn't the ones that have their names printed in a Hall of Fame in a newslatter, there the names that older people in the family discuss with younger ones. The names people remember. That's more valid. But ultimately if you're trying to make your Hall of Fame look credible, especially a wrestling one, than putting people in when their currently active, when they've just returned or when they've just passed away ruins that completely.

Archived