Survivor Series! Never Before... Never Again!

BritFan

• Paid Members
It already sold out last week 90 minutes after going on sale, didn't it? I could've sworn WWE has been saying this.

I wasn't sure if they had quite gone on sale yet. I do remember they plugged that it was upcoming recently but I don't remember them mentioning actual sales figures, but it might well have been in a divas match or some other drivel that I fast forwarded through

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Its an odd time. Raw's rating on Monday was the lowest its been since 1997, the PPV numbers are down, merchandise is lower than last year and the attendance is down as well. Yet they've sold out MSG months in advance for the first time in a long, long time. The audience is there if there is something worth watching. With The Rock's return and Foley about to come back, you get a sense change is on its way. I cant wait for this Sunday. Cant remember a time when I've been looking forward to PPV's and not been interest in the television. For such shite buildups I'm desperate to see the results. Its so odd.

Actually, a Foley, Rock, Cena and a few others on a team would probably do some decent business on PPV. A multi-man match is probably the best your going to hope for with Foley these days, now they've stopped the blood and barbed wire spots.

• Paid Members
But business is in the toilet just now

Is it? I thought they were making millions in profit?

Yeah but that's thanks to them aggressively cutting costs, rather than the consumer buying their stuff. They're cutting pyro out of Raw now, that's how bad things are getting.

They're getting some of their worst numbers since WCW was winning and it's only going to get worse. However The Rock is their one true draw.

I just got a right semi. Fucking great poster, and I'm well excited. This show is on Mrs NEWM and mine's first wedding anniversary, and after she saw Raw live in Orlando on our honeymoon last year, she has taken more than a passing interest in the actions of John Cena, particularly around the Mania build up this year. She's Cena all the way at Mania, but she breathes air so loves The Rock, she'll be glad they're friends for the night. I won't tell her that it probably won't end well.

Yeah but that's thanks to them aggressively cutting costs, rather than the consumer buying their stuff.

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean business is 'in the toilet'.

However you wanna slice it, they are still a very profitable company.

Actually, I may have to take that back - just seen this on pwinsider.com.....

WWE has taken out a $200 million line of credit with JP Morgan Chase Bank, so as Vince McMahon said a few months ago, they are willing to go into debt spending which they have avoided doing. This isn't as bad as some will make it. UFC financed itself through debt in a similar fashion. They claimed they are doing it both because interest rates are so low now, which they are, and also to help finance their new television network.

• Paid Members
Yeah but that's thanks to them aggressively cutting costs, rather than the consumer buying their stuff.

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean business is 'in the toilet'.

However you wanna slice it, they are still a very profitable company.

It is, but by the standards the stock holders and the people running it are used to, its pretty bad at the minute. All areas of business are down from last year. Its a bad time at the minute. It might still be very profitable, but the business is very cold at the minute. The uppercard down are all just there. They arent thriving. They just seem to be there. Dolf Ziggler, Jack Swagger, Morrison and the Miz arent in stronger position compared to last year.

And damage limitation time has already started. Nash is back, Foley's coming back, The Rock's back, I'll be surprised if Hogan isnt back, The Undertaker will be back for WrestleMania. Its like 2002 again.

EDIT: That sounds like I'm complaining with the last paragraph. I'm really not. I just wish MVP and Batista would come back.

• Paid Members

Put this in the comments thread by accident. The pop when Rock comes out at MSG will be absolutely mental. It'll probably seem louder than Wrestlemania because of the more intimate atmosphere. Foley shouldn't get a bad reception either.

I didn't realise ratings were down so much, hopefully it's not the sign of a full on-decline for them.

It is, but by the standards the stock holders and the people running it are used to, its pretty bad at the minute. All areas of business are down from last year. Its a bad time at the minute. It might still be very profitable, but the business is very cold at the minute. The uppercard down are all just there. They arent thriving. They just seem to be there. Dolf Ziggler, Jack Swagger, Morrison and the Miz arent in stronger position compared to last year.

They have been very smart over the last decade in their constant international expansion, but there is probably only so far they can go with that. They must have sold their TV shows to pretty much every interested country out there by now. The domestic business has been quite weak for a while.

• Paid Members

For me, I can enjoy wrestling even if business is down. Its when they mess about and change direction because business is down like they've done about a million times since June that does my head in. Punk was the top man on Raw, then Triple H took up most of the TV time as the new commissioner type guy, then the brand extention ended with no fan fare, now it looks like they are doing a feud ending match between HHH and Punk on Sunday even though its just started. Its been like a more structured version of Impact recently. Things happen then they dont, then they are forgotten. I just hope things start flowing a bit more.

• Paid Members
For me, I can enjoy wrestling even if business is down. Its when they mess about and change direction because business is down like they've done about a million times since June that does my head in. Punk was the top man on Raw, then Triple H took up most of the TV time as the new commissioner type guy, then the brand extention ended with no fan fare, now it looks like they are doing a feud ending match between HHH and Punk on Sunday even though its just started. Its been like a more structured version of Impact recently. Things happen then they dont, then they are forgotten. I just hope things start flowing a bit more.

I agree with you, although one of the biggest disadvantages with a cold product is rubbish crowds. Wrestling can be such a chore to sit threw when the crowd can't be arsed. Raw had nearly a month of programming where they had quiet crowds, thankfully they visited "bizarro world" this week.

"Never Before. Never Again" is a great tagline as well. It's actually as good as "First Time, Last Time, Only Time" for LT at Wrestlemania XI, but that whole thing often got said as one breathless single word by Todd or Vince doing the hard sell for the PPV, so extra points there.

Archived