Claudio Castagnoli signed with WWE, it seems.

Mr Kennedy

• Paid Members
If by "good" you mean "boring" then yes the standard of wrestling of those names I mentioned is very, very good. I haven't seen Hero wrestle in many years but he's got to be better than Jinder fucking Mahal.

And hows that going to wash if he comes to television and he has to do what he's told? WWE isnt Ring of Honor. He wont get a chance to do 20 minutes worth of stolen spots from a video taped of ITV in 1983 on Raw. I've seen Tyson Kidd have tremendous matches on shows infront of 18 people pasted on the end of shoot interviews I bought from tapetraders years ago. He hasnt looked like that in WWE though, because they know their place.

Anyway, my point was if WWE has that amount of people on the show with 10 times the look Chris Hero has, why would they want to sign him? If Tyson Kidd isnt getting over, what does Chris Hero show to suggest he can? The qualities people are listing on here dont endear him to WWE television in 2011. Not like you'd see him if he signed of course :blush:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If by "good" you mean "boring" then yes the standard of wrestling of those names I mentioned is very, very good. I haven't seen Hero wrestle in many years but he's got to be better than Jinder fucking Mahal.

And hows that going to wash if he comes to television and he has to do what he's told? WWE isnt Ring of Honor. He wont get a chance to do 20 minutes worth of stolen spots from a video taped of ITV in 1983 on Raw. I've seen Tyson Kidd have tremendous matches on shows infront of 18 people pasted on the end of shoot interviews I bought from tapetraders years ago. He hasnt looked like that in WWE though, because they know their place.

Anyway, my point was if WWE has that amount of people on the show with 10 times the look Chris Hero has, why would they want to sign him? If Tyson Kidd isnt getting over, what does Chris Hero show to suggest he can? The qualities people are listing on here dont endear him to WWE television in 2011. Not like you'd see him if he signed of course :blush:

Yep, exactly what I was getting at.

Michaels might not have looked 'hard' but he was excellent at what he did. Lawler might not look 'hard' but he was brilliant on the mic and getting people to hate him enough to get people to part their money to see him get his arse kicked. Same as Flair. You have to really excel in other areas to draw when people might not initially believe in you.

Yeah, I know why those guys got over, that's why I used them as examples of 'looking hard' not really being that important.

My point was (I guess) that there are plenty of wrestlers who have had great careers (not nessesarily main event runs) based on being great at one thing; either fantastic in-ring talents, awesome talkers or whater, but there are far less who have made a career solely on "looking hard". It's a great piece of the package, but if you can't work or talk to a decent standard as well you won't be all that much use. It's the same with all the giant blokes that have passed through OVW or FCW over the years; they hope to get the 'next Big Show' but most of them have nothing at all beyond their size.

• Paid Members

I think there is a vast difference between looking hard and looking big.

Hardcore Holly looked hard. Bradhsaw and Farooq looked hard. These guys looked tough as nails, like they would kick your ass in 10 seconds and then still keep on beating the shit out of you for fun. To come across as a hard tough guy it's not just the look it's how they carry themselves.

Guys like Mason Ryan and Ezekial Jackson just look big and muscley, not hard.

• Paid Members
Anyway, my point was if WWE has that amount of people on the show with 10 times the look Chris Hero has, why would they want to sign him?

Because most of those people Vito named are charisma-less robots? It takes all sorts in wrestling, there are no specific rules. Whoever made the Punk comparison isn't far wrong. Punk doesn't have a great look, he's not massive, he doesn't look hard but he works because he talks great and wrestles great.

I haven't seen Chris Hero in years and I'm not fussed whether they sign him or not. I don't think you can dismiss him though because Vito is right, they employ people who are utter shit.

I haven't seen Chris Hero in years and I'm not fussed whether they sign him or not. I don't think you can dismiss him though because Vito is right, they employ people who are utter shit.

A few times times they've employed people who had a good reputation in the indies/development (Brent Albright, Rob Conway) and turned out to be utter shit.

A few times times they've employed people who had a good reputation in the indies/development (Brent Albright, Rob Conway) and turned out to be utter shit.

dont forget Chris Harris!

• Paid Members
Because most of those people Vito named are charisma-less robots? It takes all sorts in wrestling, there are no specific rules. Whoever made the Punk comparison isn't far wrong. Punk doesn't have a great look, he's not massive, he doesn't look hard but he works because he talks great and wrestles great.

I'm pointing out a point to the people who are listing the "he can wrestle world of sport style" and "he doesnt wear a Superman shirt anymore", that it makes very little difference because his job in WWE is to do what he's told by the road agents and television writers. I think his point was complete bullshit because in most cases the people he mentioned are just doing what they are told. And you never mentioned my point that Tyson Kid is probably a better worker than most of the Ring of Honor lot and has a better physique than a lot of them, but doesnt get the chance to get over with his in ring ability because he is alien to what a television character should be. Tyson Kidd's brilliant in the world people are judging Chris Hero as being a good worker. Swap Hero and Kidd around and you'll probably get the same results.

Also, CM Punk completely has a great look. What does being massive have to do with it? Whats your idea of a great look? He appeals to a section of the audience who see him as someone who looks cool. If he looked like Gene Snitskey, would he be half as over as he is? I doubt it. His looks compliments his attitude and delievery on the mic.

It's not about knowing a million WOS-influenced holds or funky-fresh Japanese moves, it's about how good you are at getting your character over with an audience. I mean, it's pretty tough to dismiss the "WWE style" when John Cena is single handedly carrying the entire company on his back, isn't it? What's Tyson Kidd's agenda? Does he even have a character? The point I'm making is that too many people on the WWE roster have no purpose and the audience have literally no reason to care about them, Chris Hero is a well traveled veteran with great in-ring skills and promo ability but whether he becomes the next Ted DiBiase or the next CM Punk depends solely on his ability to make people care.

It's not about knowing a million WOS-influenced holds or funky-fresh Japanese moves, it's about how good you are at getting your character over with an audience. I mean, it's pretty tough to dismiss the "WWE style" when John Cena is single handedly carrying the entire company on his back, isn't it? What's Tyson Kidd's agenda? Does he even have a character? The point I'm making is that too many people on the WWE roster have no purpose and the audience have literally no reason to care about them, Chris Hero is a well traveled veteran with great in-ring skills and promo ability but whether he becomes the next Ted DiBiase or the next CM Punk depends solely on his ability to make people care.

and the conversation has come to its peak.... well done, Vito, you honestly could not be any more correct.

• Paid Members
Chris Hero is a well traveled veteran with great in-ring skills and promo ability but whether he becomes the next Ted DiBiase or the next CM Punk depends solely on his ability to make people care.

How do you work that out then? He can only make that crowd care if he is seen as being able to carry it by the people running the promotion. People gave a shit about Kofi Kingstone around Survivor Series 2009, then they pulled the plug. People cared about MVP, then they buried him. Daniel Bryan was getting chants in arenas throughout the country when he was "fired". CM Punk was making strides on Smackdown then the Undertaker destroyed him. Wade Barrett was super over. Where is he now? To say its soley down to him to make the people care is completely untrue. Your fate lies in the hands of the people running the promotion to a massive degree.

Which again is my argument to the contrary of the people you mentioned earlier. There are plenty of people on the roster who could be 100 times more over than what they are, but arent given the chance to.

Is SJK's new gimmick in FCW being a woofter?

:laugh: I haven't heard the word 'woofter' in years! Awesome.

Courtesy of pwinsider.com.....

As noted before, WWE has signed former Ring of Honor star Claudio Castagnoli to a developmental deal and he is now working as Antonio Cesaro in FCW.

This has led to speculation about the status of Claudio's partner Chris Hero. Word is that Hero is still going through the long process of signing a contract. Claudio happened to finish his paperwork and medical clearance ahead of Hero, so he's began working for WWE already.

Hero is still on WWE's radar, just going through the signing process. His debut in FCW will most likely happen soon, unless something comes up.

Archived