Memories of E-Feds

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
I was never into it back in the day. How did it actually work, on a basic level?

Basically it consisted of a webmaster (Or a team of them) acting as something of a fantasy booker for a role-playing wrestling company. For instance, in a WWE efed, the webmaster would probably be Vince McMahon and would thus role play as that character in addition to making the matches and doing the write-ups for them.

After that, people sign up as different characters and start role playing as them, i.e you would sign up as The Rock and then write out promos about your opponents for the upcoming show. This would be done in pictures and some other HTML business like changing fonts, adding music and so on. It wasn't actually limited to real wrestlers either, a number of them embraced entirely made up characters (I.e Butch's example), sometimes feds were mixed with people playing real wrestlers and entirely made up creations.

That's it, basically. It doesn't sound like much but it was all good fun back in the day, aside from some aforementioned sissys who couldn't handle being booked to take a loss after working tirelessly to write a 1,000 word essay.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was never into it back in the day. How did it actually work, on a basic level?

Basically it consisted of a webmaster (Or a team of them) acting as something of a fantasy booker for a role-playing wrestling company. For instance, in a WWE efed, the webmaster would probably be Vince McMahon and would thus role play as that character in addition to making the matches and doing the write-ups for them.

After that, people sign up as different characters and start role playing as them, i.e you would sign up as The Rock and then write out promos about your opponents for the upcoming show. This would be done in pictures and some other HTML business like changing fonts, adding music and so on. It wasn't actually limited to real wrestlers either, a number of them embraced entirely made up characters (I.e Butch's example), sometimes feds were mixed with people playing real wrestlers and entirely made up creations.

That's it, basically. It doesn't sound like much but it was all good fun back in the day, aside from some aforementioned sissys who couldn't handle being booked to take a loss after working tirelessly to write a 1,000 word essay.

Thanks. Sounds quite interesting. I wish I'd given it a crack when I was younger. I feel like getting into it in my 30s would be a little odd.

• Paid Members
Thanks. Sounds quite interesting. I wish I'd given it a crack when I was younger. I feel like getting into it in my 30s would be a little odd.

It does seem like a young man's game in fairness, I think most people got interested in them when they first started using the web on a regular basis, i.e when they first got MSN and AOL and that's how many of the feds were put together, either on MSN pages or through AOL message boards and the like. Like I said though, I enjoyed my little stint last year as JBL, it really got my creative juices flowing by writing about something I enjoyed and it really helped out on that character writing assignment I was doing.

Talking of made up characters, I once joined a fed ran by a former UKFF'er and AOL message board fella who had taken over a fed from someone else. I signed up as the Norfolk Enhancer, a man hailing from Norfolk who was hell-bent on trying to Enhance the rest of the world by preaching about Stephen Fry's superior intellect, Delia's superior cooking, our superior farming industry, Colmans Mustard, Norwich City and all sorts of daft things like that. Mainly, I'd just preach to the fans about how poor their lives had been, how poor the efed company had been and how I was going to enhance everything and do things the Norfolk way. It worked a treat actually, until I was booked to lose to someone called Jessie in a Colmans on a pole match. I'm not sure what offended me more, the fact that I lost the match to a clearly inferior female counterpart or that I was booked to lose to a bulldog onto a loose tub of mustard for the pin.

• Paid Members

I was never big into them, but I do recall my friend Dan (RIP, DDD) was using a New Jack inspired character (weirdly called B-Boy, before either of us knew who he was), and he spoofed NJ's sale of his one phonecall in jail by selling a call on ebay, and actually getting someone to pay.

• Paid Members

I was pretty active on an efed between '03 and '05 when I was at uni and had the time to kill. I was their hardcore champion briefly, then tv champion rubbing shoulders with the main eventers, then shortly after dropping the tv title to an up n comer embarked on an 18 month run with their world title. I do occasionally write a promo when the booker thinks about reviving the fed, but it never seems to happen.

I miss having the time to do it properly, used to spend hours on that there fed. Well, when I wasnt masturbating over photos Swedish girls were sending me of themselves over Yahoo Messager, in return for photos of my knob.

I got a 2.1. The system works.

I was pretty active on an efed between '03 and '05 when I was at uni and had the time to kill.

I got a 2.1. The system works.

This. Doing a theatre arts degree I now wish the creativity of the backstory and promos I used to write religiously in time for whatever the deadline was, I had channeled into writing plays and screenplays. I too got a 2:1 but then again I did stop efedding in my last two years of Uni so maybe I am just stupid.

• Paid Members
I too got a 2:1 but then again I did stop efedding in my last two years of Uni so maybe I am just stupid.

WOAH THERE. 2.1 is fine. 2.2 is a drinker's degree, 2.1 is just fine. The only two people in my circle that got 1sts were a girl that spent all her time in the library and had no social life at all, and a lad that literally did his tutor favours for better marks. Like, the kind of favours Tommy Rich was meant to have done for his title reign.

Stupid. The nerve.

Archived