The Ultimate Fighter Season 14 - Bisping vs Mayhem Thread *SPOILERS*

wandshogun09

Bisping vs Mayhem  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For all the hype about Bisping striking he got rocked by Rivera (who is powerful but limited standing), dropped by Kang and Wanderlai almost finished him as well.

That fearful Bisping striking power that worried Chris Leben so much that he just dropped his hands and let Bisping hit him...

That is why I said the "hype" behind Bisping's striking. I agree he isnt that powerful and I dont think he is as good as others have made him out to be technically, he gets hit too often and dropped.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i definately feel people are underselling Mayhem in this fight. He's had such an incosistent career so it's always been kind of hard to place him within the rankings. He's bounced between promotions and always fought fighters of varying quality. I think the UFC move is the best thing that he could have done, he'll finally get that steady flow of fights against top opposition.

The jury's still out but i wouldn't be surprised if Miller proves himself to be one of the best in the division in the next couple of years.

• Paid Members
That fearful Bisping striking power that worried Chris Leben so much that he just dropped his hands and let Bisping hit him...

and went on to lose the fight.

Against GSP, Sheilds had no need to do this
meh, all that proves is he was never in danger, which he wasn't as GSP just jabbed him in the face repeatedly.

I'm not disputing the basic point of Mayhem being underrated whatsoever, just to be clear.

i definately feel people are underselling Mayhem in this fight.

You think so? I was thinking the same about Bisping. All I've heard about him over the past few years is how he's not as good as he's made out to be.

Aside from his KO against Dan Henderson, he's pretty much never really been dominated in a fight, has he? He lost on points in a highly contentious fight with Wanderlei. A fight that I thought Bisping had won initially, and he lost via split decision against Rashad at 205lbs.

I think Bisping takes this fight via decision. He's surely due a title shot if he wins this one?

i definately feel people are underselling Mayhem in this fight.

You think so? I was thinking the same about Bisping. All I've heard about him over the past few years is how he's not as good as he's made out to be.

Aside from his KO against Dan Henderson, he's pretty much never really been dominated in a fight, has he? He lost on points in a highly contentious fight with Wanderlei. A fight that I thought Bisping had won initially, and he lost via split decision against Rashad at 205lbs.

I think Bisping takes this fight via decision. He's surely due a title shot if he wins this one?

I doubt he will get a title shot even if he wins, the winner of Sonnen/Stann is next up I think.

If Bisping wins, he will probably face the winner of Cung Le and Vitor Belfort for a shot. Bisping is a strange one to rate, some say he is legitimate top 5 material, whilst some will say he is lucky to scrape the top 15-20.

I would say some sell Bisping short due to personally not caring for him, but he isnt as underated as Mayhem. Yes Bisping hasnt looked that bad in his defeats but he hasnt looked that good in some of his victories, recent wins over Rivera and Kang involved him taking too many shots, I will let him of for not finishing Dan Miller but the Akiyama fight was another where he got tagged too often, didnt finish and the fight was a lot closer than it should have been for a high quality Middleweight.

The UFC would ideally want to do Bisping vs Silva, as it would raise the profile over here, but I dont think it will happen if he gets past Mayhem which I doubt he will, he still would have to face a Belfort, Le or Sonnen to get a title shot I think, and I doubt he beats any of them to be honest.

• Paid Members

To be fair though, no-one's claiming Bisping's some powerful striker. He seemed to have a bit more power at 205 imo but 185 is clearly a better weight class for him. I deffo agree he gets hit way too much and still circles the wrong way even after Hendo almost killed him. He's not Anderson Silva on the feet clearly but he's deffo a good striker.

He lost on points in a highly contentious fight with Wanderlei. A fight that I thought Bisping had won initially, and he lost via split decision against Rashad at 205lbs.

I take it you saw sense on the result of the Wanderlei fight after a second viewing ;)

Wand beat Bisping pretty clearly to me. I know I'm gonna be accused of being biased but I can certainly admit when Wand loses decisions, the Liddell and Franklin fights being examples I have no argument with. This Bisping decision was spot on though imo. 29-28 with Bisping only taking the first round for me. I never got why Bisping or anyone else could genuinely argue that decision. I had Wand outstriking him in rounds 2 and 3, not to mention Wand nearly tapped him in round 2 and almost knocked the shit out of him at the end of round 3.

• Paid Members
I doubt he will get a title shot even if he wins, the winner of Sonnen/Stann is next up I think.

If Bisping wins, he will probably face the winner of Cung Le and Vitor Belfort for a shot. Bisping is a strange one to rate, some say he is legitimate top 5 material, whilst some will say he is lucky to scrape the top 15-20.

I would say some sell Bisping short due to personally not caring for him, but he isnt as underated as Mayhem. Yes Bisping hasnt looked that bad in his defeats but he hasnt looked that good in some of his victories, recent wins over Rivera and Kang involved him taking too many shots, I will let him of for not finishing Dan Miller but the Akiyama fight was another where he got tagged too often, didnt finish and the fight was a lot closer than it should have been for a high quality Middleweight.

The UFC would ideally want to do Bisping vs Silva, as it would raise the profile over here, but I dont think it will happen if he gets past Mayhem which I doubt he will, he still would have to face a Belfort, Le or Sonnen to get a title shot I think, and I doubt he beats any of them to be honest.

Yeah it's gonna be the Sonnen/Stann winner next surely. Silva/Sonnen 2 would be huge with how the first went and you know they wanna give Action Man a shot at the belt.

If Bisping beats Mayhem then a fight with the winner of Belfort/Le makes sense. Wouldn't be surprised if they matched him with Demian Maia (if he beats Santiago) or Rousimar Palhares.

I've got a feeling they'll do something like this

Winner of Bisping/Mayhem vs Maia or Palhares

Winner of Belfort/Le vs Winner of Leben/Munoz

If Bisping and Belfort came through winning their fights they'd probably just go with whoever wins most impressively as the next challenger.

The preview shown during fight night last night made me stupidly excited for this season. Looks like some pure carnage is about to take place!

Agreed, it looks (dare I say it) the most entertaining season yet both in terms of fights and in house drama.

I noticed during the donkeys in the gym part that Bisping must have switched the 'Team Mayhem' sign on the door, as it said 'Team Gay-Men'. :laugh:

• Paid Members

it's kinda weird how a couple of seasons ago everyone complained that there was too much drama in the house, and that it was giving the sport a bad rep....now they've had a quieter couple of seasons everyone's hoping the madness kicks off again.

Last night's preview did make it look really good, but my favourite bit was Bisping being outraged after Mayhem sprayed water into his face, despite the fact Bisping did exactly the same thing to get a rise out of Dan Henderson when they were opposing coaches. "What the fuck did you do that for?!"

Archived