GPW: "Night Of The Brave" Nov 4th, Rose Club Wigan

Mr. Noble

Results

El Ligero def Bruce Sheila in 3 seconds (match restarts)

El Ligero def Bruce Sheila in 5 seconds (match restarts)

El Ligero def Bruce Sheila in 10 seconds (match restarts)

El Ligero def Bruce Sheila in 5 mins

April Davids def Jenny Sjodin in 7:35

Grand Pro Wrestling British Championship Match

Jack Gallagher def Zack Sabre Jr in 15:30

Danny Hope drew the raffle but left before the end of the raffle segment when Sam Shaw pointed out that Zack Diamond was in the next match.

In the Torneo Cibernetico

Zack Diamond was ruled unable to participate when he was assaulted by DANNY HOPE. Hope then replaced Diamond in the match.

Hope was later eliminated via countout when Diamond returned and chased him from ringside after he superkicked DDL.

Chris Echo was pinned by Cyanide

Bubblegum was pinned by RJM

RJM was pinned by Jiggy Walker

Dave Rayne was pinned by Martin Kirby

Jiggy Walker was pinned by Martin Kirby

Cyanide was pinned by Joey Hayes

Cameron Kraze was disqualified for slapping the ref

(Mike Fitzgerald took over the officiating for the duration after Kraze ko'ed the ref)

Martin Kirby was pinned by Dirk Feelgood (fast count)

Joey Hayes was eliminated by submission by Dirk Feelgood (ref's decision)

DDL pinned Dirk Feelgood

Winner and sole survivor: Grand Pro Heavyweight Champion "Dangerous" Damon Leigh in 40:00

Ste "Bin" Mann def Jason Logan to win the NWRL in 10:25

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyable night out I thought.

Bruce/Ligero could have been a pretty solid match. Little less comedy, more wrestling. But not a bad match for what it was.

I was impressed with the woman's match, some great spots and some stiff shots!

I think Jack/Zack stole the show, that was a given. Shame that type match is somewhat of an acquired taste. CACC style/submission stuff is never going to get the crowd reaction it deserves unless you're in Japan or have a room full of real wrestling fans. You're average fan expects entertainment over technicality, I think they got that in the Torneo and Logan/Binman.

Torneo was good, my first experience of it, and it seemed to work well for something I thought would be rather hectic.

Binman/Logan was what it was expected to be, a great entertainer which the crowd got into.

Quick results...

El Ligero beat Bruce Sheila four times. Yep, four times. Bruce was pinned in less than four seconds on three occasions and demanded the match be restarted as he wasn't ready. Eventually the match went a bit longer and Ligero pinned him with a top rope splash.

April Davids beat Jenny Sjodin in an brutally stiff match. Hard strikes and nasty looking suplexes aplenty but the finish was a fairly basic pinning move. April's running Yakuza kick to the corner is astounding given her relatively diminutive stature.

Jack Gallagher pinned Zack Sabre Jr in an astonishing pure wrestling match. Hard to do this justice but it was as fluid and convincing a bout as I've ever seen. Not to the taste of many of the kids in attendence. They worked so hard that Jack was sweating after the match. I didn't think he could.

After the break came the raffle drawn by Danny Hope. He didn't seem pleased at being left off the card but made a good show of it.

Then came the Torneo Cybernetico. Danny Hope ran out and attacked Zack Diamond's ankle, clearly miffed that he'd not been booked in similar fashion on return from injury. He then declared that he was taking Zack's place but did nothing to help his team mates barring a brief Mil-Anfield Connection staredown. It came down to DDL and Dirk after all kinds of action and the Masterplan's pocket ref. DDL pinned Dirk after Mike was taken out and an alternate alternate ref made the three count.

Heresy came out saying that he couldn't find Kastor LeVay anywhere. Cue a video of Kastor being abducted from his car while doing the weekly shop (!). For those wondering, yes he had bags for life. Even monsters can look after the planet. The abductor was Voodoo. He then shut LeVay in a coffin and revealed that this was Heresy's greatest fear. Zombies came out with a casket and Voodoo challenge Heresy to free LeVay from it. He took out the zombies and, would you believe, it was Voodoo inside the casket. He flatted Heresy and challenged him to a casket match at the December show.

The main event was the North West Rookie League final. Ste 'Bin' Mann pinned Jason Logan with a top rope splash to win the league. Crowd was red hot throughout. After the match the locker room came out to applaud Bin Mann's efforts and we found out that his prize for winning the league was a shot at Jack Gallagher's British Championship in December.

Busy, fun show.

The Danny Hope elimination was cheap though. Considering the Torneo rules before he got back in the ring had been pretty much "Texas Tornado" tag rules all of a sudden he can get counted out despite RJM his tag partner being in the ring. Hope hadn't even tagged in previously. Luckily it didn't effect the match too much for me.

God you gotta love when hour and a half runs somehow manage to turn into three hour epic journeys. I have the M62 traffic and my Sat Nav getting us lost within half a mile of the venue and then us managing to somehow get to the venue from the opposite direction.

Opener was good fun. I thought with all the quick victories, it may end up being left at that to get the crowd chuckling and warmed up, but they did end up having a quick inoffensive match to the start the show off with.

Enjoyed the womens match, it was good. Shame the crowd wasn't really with it but both Jenny and April really worked hard. Seems weird I get to see them in an epic in front of a dead crowd but then wished for just that *little* bit more here, but for a second match on the card and re-introduction to womens wrestling for GPW, it's a good start. I really hope to see Jenny and April get more bookings at shows I can attend as I think both are incredibly talented and great wrestlers.

With two individuals the talent of Jack vs Zack, the potential of an amazing match and a true UK MOTYC is there. It just wasn't to be on this night, as it was a first encounter and all that left plenty more for what appears to be a teased rematch. Some absolutely fantastic on the mat grappling and limbwork as both worked towards their own armbar variation submissions. A very solid and enjoyable encounter. But the crowd wasn't really there, and this did all seem to be building up to something bigger down the line - At least I truly hope so. This probably was my MOTN and was a really good match..... But they have a really *great* match in them.

Wasn't as into the Torneo as I'd hoped to be. Teasing Hope's turn and reasoning for attacking Diamond specifically was set up nicely, but any surprise was removed when they only happened within minutes of each other. Understandably a very storyline and character driven match and it all worked out in the end even if there were a few niggles - Hope being counted out when it was lucha rules so as soon as he leaves the ring, the next man is eligible, but there was no real work around to Diamond being the cause of Hope's elimination without him physically getting his hands on him and the numbered tags being forgotten slightly after mass brawls and the like.

The coffin segment was fun. The Voodoo video with the Dexter-esque kidnapping and then Saw inspired "game" was really fun and very well done.

I'll be honest, seeing this show main evented with rookies gave me apprehension. But Bin Man is insanely over, they had a decent match for two wrestlers at their level, and the loyal fans loved it which is the main thing.

I don't know what it is, but I still feel like I'm yet to see GPW at their best. There's a lot of talent and potential there, but I have never felt blown away or get caught up in the love that a fair few people I know feel for GPW. The two matches I came to see were good and definitely worth the

Fuckingggggggggggggg hell ya do realise this is gpw not fucking dragongate with their ''lets clap every fucking move and give a fucking headlock a standing ovation'' right?? Last night was the first time zack sabre jr had been in gpw and ya know what it was fucking good now ive no idea where the fuck you were sitting but i saw the crowd last night and they fucking enjoyed it just cos it wasnt on the level of benoit angle from the royal rumble 2003 or whatever doesn't mean there was a dead crowd for it! fucking smarks and their ~workrate~

i actually enjoyed the whole show that match between those 2 though was pretty fucking good to watch and just makes jack (who ive never been a fan of) look pretty fucking good..or at least it does till bin mann takes the title off him.

Danny hopes a heel YES!! YES!! YESS!! finally he gets to be charismatic and entertaining again rather than bland and uninspiring ... totally brilliant angle taking diamond out and then taking his spot there even though no one wanted him in there it really stacked the odds against team ddl just hope this leands to a MIL-ANFIELD reunion at some point. oh and the heel ref what a genius

bin mann vs logan getting the main event spot..usually ya think ahh 2 rookies main eventing arrrgh..not this time those 2 fucking deservered that spot its been a bit of brilliant booking that nwrl made a lot of trainees look good and somehow had ste becoming this huge fan favorite and the match was good loved the bit where a brawl happened was good to see everyone piling in.

the voodoo segment is ace too it means we get heresy back wrestling i really want that casket match to be the main event it HAS to be.

womens match was good april looks decent hopefully more coming

bruce needs to defend those beers every mont be a good comedy gimmick that.

and the ring didnt break YES!!..wonder what storyline the wwes gonna nick now...

Not every crowd is Dragon Gate, but I happen to know the difference between a lively crowd and one sat on their hands. The atmosphere in the last two matches were great, because the audience had a connection to the wrestlers and storylines had been built up. It was a shame that such crowd reaction wasn't spread evenly throughout the show, and I can appreciate that the two matches in question would have things going against them in the perception of the fans eyes (womens matches being more than "diva" affairs, technical encounters that have to be absorbed before they can engross you) but both matches kicked up gears towards the finishing runs and both were built up really well, but, for me, I would have loved the crowd to get a little bit more into it. They were hard sells, but it is undoubtable that both matches were really good affairs that would be appreciated more for any rematches.

Glad for Heresy being back and he should be in a main event? Ooooookay then.....

EDITED: Because yeah I wanted to say more and try and put across my point more against the "fucking smarks and workrate LOLZ" retort.

the crowd wasn't sat on there hands..i distinctly heard people clapping for zack and whats more were they sat on their hands when jack slapped him across the face? were they fuck!

Behave yourself coby have i said heresy should be in the main event forever no..just the casket match cos its A FUCKING CASKET MATCH.

Great to hear all the praise for the Womens match. Two very talented female wrestlers.

Crazy to think April fractured her foot/ankle just one month ago. Tough, tough woman.

She seemed fine hitting that 5ft+ high Yakuza Kick in the corner to Jenny! Stiff as anything!

Great to hear all the praise for the Womens match. Two very talented female wrestlers.

Crazy to think April fractured her foot/ankle just one month ago. Tough, tough woman.

She seemed fine hitting that 5ft+ high Yakuza Kick in the corner to Jenny! Stiff as anything!

Yes shes one tough lady :thumbsup:

Archived