Raw (Sept 13th)

d-d-d-dAz

Everyone behind the HHH/Punk booking needs to take blame. It makes absolutely no sense now.

How are we expected to support a guy who is whining about being held back when as HHH quite rightly said, he's actually had quite a decent WWE career. Yes, there have been times when he's floundered, but he's had a FAR better career than ANYONE thought he would have in WWE. If you'd told any of the ROH crowd that he'd had a few World Titles behind him, MITBs, PPV main events etc, they'd think you were having a fucking laugh. Everyone, regardless of being supportive, thought WWE would shit all over CM Punk and THEY HAVEN'T. So Punk's whiny little bitchfest about himself fails completely because it's not actually true. Some of the other shit he says .. perhaps he has a point .. but when the focus is on him, it just doesn't work on that level.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Punk was on the right lines when he was moaning about not being promoted enough (and he still isn't really), but yes since signing a new contract it seems his bosses have just given him nonsensical stuff to moan about in the script. John Cena should find himself lucky he's in another feud now and not entangled in this mess.

Surely any compliments heaped on Punk in June and July are unwarranted as well then, because that was just the booking going that way as well.

I'm not saying Punk has been perfect, I didn't care for the jokey stuff much either, but the difference is that on those first few shows (where Punk was brilliant on the mic) he was booked against Cena who was the perfect foil for his character. Since then, he's been put up against Nash, who was in a tweener role for a while, getting nostalgia pops, and Triple H, who is being treated as a Legendary Face. It's hard to tell whether Punk is supposed to be a heel or a face, when Triple H is playing mr Nice and Punk is being told to go out there and be a cock to his face. Thats the booking putting the Punk character in a difficult situation, making it difficult to get a clear reaction from the fans.

when trips was saying about punk not getting a reaction up to now, wasnt that because he was doing such a great job as one of their most consistent heel acts for the last 2 years? he was going up against fan faves like rey so off course the majority of the crowd wasnt going to be cheering him the moment he came out. sure the smarky towns like toronto and philly cheered him like they do for internet faves or cool heels, but on occasion when he broke away from full-on heel mode and did some more light-hearted things (like the "whats-up" at the rumble when he had r-truth in the corner), he got a good face pop.

• Paid Members

Yeah HHH's argument was bullshit. Punk was one of the msot over heel Champions they had in years after his fued with Jeff Hardy but they had him drop it to the Undertaker within what seemed like minutes.

And what's the fucking point of putting together a sweet video package for Zack Ryder last week and then this week not even have him on the show.

The overall booking direction of this fucking company makes no goddamn sense.

• Paid Members

Last week on Raw he played the Heyman to Lawler's Brock and got a pin after Lawler did all the work. They seem to be bowing to the internet and putting him on TV, but Ryder doesnt do much worth of note really. He's just there sometimes. Its not like he's Santino. When Santino was doing the comic relief segments at least you knew what you were getting. Ryder's role's still unclear (if he has one).

• Paid Members
He did. Why that happened when they could have fed anyone to Henry (Trent Barreta, Santino, Tyler Reks) is beyond me.

Some people like Zack Ryder. He doesnt do anything nasty to anyone and he stands out a bit. So Henry killing him meant something. If he squashed Trent Barreta or Tyler Reks, who's going to care?

You make a good point Ian. I just can't see the value in putting him on the TV shows more just to be a doofus and get twatted. The people who wanted him on TV surely can't have wanted him on there for this shit?

I would rather see a Ryder/Hawkins reunion tbh. Hawkins is palling around with deadweight Tyler Reks and Ryder by himself is becoming annoying.

I'm not saying Punk has been perfect, I didn't care for the jokey stuff much either, but the difference is that on those first few shows (where Punk was brilliant on the mic) he was booked against Cena who was the perfect foil for his character. Since then, he's been put up against Nash, who was in a tweener role for a while, getting nostalgia pops, and Triple H, who is being treated as a Legendary Face. It's hard to tell whether Punk is supposed to be a heel or a face, when Triple H is playing mr Nice and Punk is being told to go out there and be a cock to his face. Thats the booking putting the Punk character in a difficult situation, making it difficult to get a clear reaction from the fans.

But Punk's stuff is meant to transcend traditional face/heel boundaries. It did when he was feuding with Cena. Triple H, as the WWE establishment (not to mention the "he was jobbing to Warrior til he shagged Steph lolz" factor), should be the perfect foil for CM Punk's character as well. Though the booking and focus of it all has gone to shit and it was always going to be difficult to get clear reactions from fans or coherently build to a match, there's no excuse for Punk to be so uninteresting and ineffective on a promo-by-promo basis. Miz and R-Truth routinely perform shit material really well. Punk himself has done so on numerous occasions, largely due to his ability to ad-lib as he is on record as saying he doesn't work from scripts. But at the moment, there's not enough direction and too much freedom to talk about shite that doesn't matter... And somehow, it's not amounting to interesting television anymore.

I reckon WWE got excited and thought CM Punk, Kevin Nash and Triple H could sell a match on fake shoot promos alone and get everyone talking about WWE without the writers bothering to come up with stuff.

Sorry if this has already been said, but this was proof if proof was needed that Nash has been a bit of scapegoat for some of the criticisms levied at parts of the Punk/HHH segments in the last few weeks, because that last night was fucking dogshit. About as far a departure away from Punk's initial promo, the Vince contract negotiation segment and the good live Smackdown verbals from last week as possible.

I'm still interested in the match, but if the story was spluttering beforehand, it well and truly clapped out last night. Fuck me, that was an absolute horror. If this was 2003, I'd be bloody convinced this was all one smart burial from HHH.

Thing is, they could deliver on Sunday. Cena proved that Punk can be carried to a big time main event match, but we'll see if Triple H's has it in him (or wants to do so) too. Fuck knows where they go after this, but Nash better be on one side and we best have some pretty crystal clear baddies and goodies again, because it's a bloody mess at the moment.

Blah show for the most part I thought, but love the two new teams and have high hopes for the match at the PPV. Love Truth and Miz but would love more for Air Boom to have a bastard massive reign, so would rather this be their first really big statement win as a tag team.

Archived