Raw (Sept 13th)

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Meltzer had some interesting stuff to say on his recent show (he went on about it for ages, so I won't give all the details). According to him, WWE went out of there way to make Punk look bad. It certainly makes sense, given how disjointed and awkward that final segment was. Punk was also toothless compared to previous weeks, Meltzer gave a long list of comebacks that Punk should have used. One of the obvious ones was Triple H being the bitch of Shawn Michaels to get a head, also the amount of opportunities Triple H got despite the fans not taking to him. All insider rubbish, but both men were at it, so why not?! Again the story is WWE had some agenda against people thinking WWE is the land of the steroid freak and took it out on Punk, apparently.

Also Triple H's no selling of Punk's schtick says it all really (I'm glad it's not me that just noticed).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meltzer had some interesting stuff to say on his recent show (he went on about it for ages, so I won't give all the details). According to him, WWE went out of there way to make Punk look bad. It certainly makes sense, given how disjointed and awkward that final segment was. Punk was also toothless compared to previous weeks, Meltzer gave a long list of comebacks that Punk should have used. One of the obvious ones was Triple H being the bitch of Shawn Michaels to get a head, also the amount of opportunities Triple H got despite the fans not taking to him. All insider rubbish, but both men were at it, so why not?! Again the story is WWE had some agenda against people thinking WWE is the land of the steroid freak and took it out on Punk, apparently.

Also Triple H's no selling of Punk's schtick says it all really (I'm glad it's not me that just noticed).

So Dave Meltzer is now listing suggestions of his own that would improve a segment? What a Monday mornin quarterback.

Y'know, I see people complain all the time when people suggest "when it's good it's CM Punk, but when it's bad it's the writers". And fair enough. But it seems the same thing is happening here but in reverse. Suddenly Punk's completely responsible for the shockingly poor booking in this program. I agree that it's been weak, but I don't really see how that's Punk's fault. If it's universally agreed that they want him to play this smarky insider, they should be giving him a list of potent things he can say or making it clear that he has free reign. That obviously hasn't been the case. If they want him to take off as a super face, they shouldn't have booked him against a super-over legend working as a face. If they want him to be a heel, they should have him behaving like one. The whole thing reeks of ridiculous indecision and I don't think that's something you can blame the performer for. Could he have been better? Yes. But with such a lack of obvious direction I think it's a tough ask. The program has been a shambles and I think it's because they genuinely don't know what they want to do with Punk yet or see how he fits. Crucifying the guy for flailing while left in the wind seems a little harsh.

• Paid Members
Punk went out of his way to make himself look bad as well.

Oh no doubt. Just WWE set him up to fail was Meltzer's point. Plus, as was pointed out earlier, you had Triple H trying his best to bury the Punk character.

So Dave Meltzer is now listing suggestions of his own that would improve a segment? What a Monday mornin quarterback.

No. He was just firing back at some of the rubbish Triple H came out with, about smaller guys getting the same opportunities etc. My point was Punk could have used the stuff Meltzer was using, but he oddly didn't.

• Paid Members
but I don't really see how that's Punk's fault.

His delivery is poor, his manerisms when he isnt talking is annoying and he isnt carrying himself like a star. He had MUCH worse material than this when he was on Smackdown and came off a lot better. You cant blame it all on the material. Triple H's material is also very poor and his facial expressions, timing of when to get angry and the way his off-mic antics are perfect. Looking back, the promo with Vince McMahon wasnt the most clever thing in the world (shoot style promos rarely are), but he pulled it off 50 times better than he currently is. The difference between June and September is incredible.

If that's the case then WWE really are complete fucking idiots. After Punk's first couple of 'shoot style' promos there was so much buzz around what was going to happen, it was mental. Punk got a huge wave of momentum and popularity for about a month, but they've really killed a lot of that off now.

His character has changed from a guy who'd had enough and was talking without fear to try and improve Wrestling, to a whiney little prick who doesn't seem to know what he wants.

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but for once I didn't think they'd fuck this up. They might still swing this around to being great again, but i'm starting to seriously doubt it.

A lot of people seem to be saying things to the effect of "Stupid CM Punk is burying himself on TV" and "Mr shitty ratings just got owned by Triple H", but surely all that is because the booking has gone that way? They clearly aren't just doing whatever the fuck they want in their segments each week, someone is booking Punk to act like a heelish, gutless prick, instead of the stand-up, fight-the-system rebel he seemed to be 6 weeks ago.

There were valid answers and comebacks to most of Triple H's claims during that last segment, and Punk didn't mention any of them.

But what I struggle to believe is that Punk's promo wasn't his own. It just didn't sound like something that would be done by a writer, it was way too all over the place and basically the complete opposite of how promos normally sound.

Plus I thought HHH was spot-on with his stuff on smaller guys supposedly being passed over in favour of muscle men, that is such an incredibly outdated arguement, especially in the last few years and sounded like Punk had just read a post on here from one of the Vince is evil lot.

I'm wondering how Triple H and Punk will get on in the ring on Sunday - I'm glad it's a no DQ and I hope they go down the road of battles like Rock/Austin at X7 and like Trips' last match with Taker, just take it all over the shop. I hope we don't see Evolution Trips. Unless Flair and Batista show up.

I wish I hadn't of said I'm not gonna moan about Raw anymore, last week. There's quite alot I'd like to get off my chest about this week's :glare: Since I will only mention positives now, I thought the crowd were the best any have been on WWE TV for a few weeks. They died off after the first promo though, but who could blame the poor buggers. I liked the way they reacted to Bret, who I thought was alright (promo wise). That's about it though I think.

A lot of people seem to be saying things to the effect of "Stupid CM Punk is burying himself on TV" and "Mr shitty ratings just got owned by Triple H", but surely all that is because the booking has gone that way?

Surely any compliments heaped on Punk in June and July are unwarranted as well then, because that was just the booking going that way as well.

They clearly aren't just doing whatever the fuck they want in their segments each week

It seems like they are. As someone said above, the whole thing has seemed way too unfocused for anyone to write it. That's been the problem with the last few weeks for me, he's had too much free reign. Punk's just going out there and having ad-libbed insider arguments that haven't got anything to do with anything. That bit last night felt to me like the plan was to improvise up until whatever point (either the HHH rant or the real names mention) then the mics would get cut, then the cheap shot.

I found myself rooting for HHHA more than CM Punk in that last promo, to be honest. His counterpoints to all of Punks comments were spot on, although Punk could have mentioned how Cena did have the WWE juggernaut strapped to his arse to get where he is, and he didn't but, whatever.....

I flicked through Raw this week. Nothing seemed to really grab me. Bret Hart 20 years ago vs Alberto Del Rio today would have piqued my interest but sadly now we know all Bret can do, at most, is punch and apply the Sharpshooter.

The only real complaint I had about the face off, is that it happened at all. I've seen these two talking to each other so much over the last few weeks. Enough already! That's why I liked the end when it got physical. That's whats been lackling. Punk has lost a ton of momentum since Summerslam. It's hard to say how he delivers his material or how he should be acting because I have no fucking clue as to what he is suppose to be. If I were to guess it will result in him being a babyface against the evil wwe corporation and he will run through various challenges against them on the way to Mania. A pretty basic rerun of Austin v McMahon. But I could be totally wrong. WWE.com has the first 2 graphics on the main page relating to Punk laying out HHH and then a "who turned the mikes off?" page. So I'm going to hope it's part of a much bigger grand plan. If anything I thought HHH was redundant in what he was saying last night but he did impress me when he went into "money" mode. It's a different style to Punk.

Archived