Mediumship

CuckedByMenry

• Paid Members

I feel like a tit. The dream thing is such a simple explanation which is what I always argue when my mom's on about stuff like this. There's always a simple explanation. It makes so much sense I can't believe I didn't think of it.

I'm gonna wait till someone brings it up and right when they're telling me how it proves this and that and I can't argue it I'll hit them with the Dr Loki theory and put this shit to bed once and for all :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
You lost me at this point in the argument. Aside from the fact that kids are fucking bullshitters they're also an incredibly imaginative bunch.

haha yeah fair dues but i wasn't necessarily arguing it, just throwing it out there. Like I said I've always been skeptical of stuff like this and I was always looking for a reason not to believe it. Loki's given me that reason now and it's likely it was just a dream I thought was real but at that age couldn't seperate it.

By that comment I just meant at that age I wouldn't even think of making up ghost stories because I'd never heard of such a thing.

And I'm neither a bullshitter or imaginitive I'll have you know

• Paid Members

Derek Acorah now seems to be giving a different story about how he met Sam, his spiritual guide.

Here's the absolutely insane story he's giving now:-

http://derekacorah.com/sam

But I'm sure that a few years ago I remember him spinning a tale about having some kind of fugue and Sam coming to him during that, 'giving' him his powers.

He really is the gift that keeps on giving.

I believe in Ghosts but not mediums, there just so full of shit. Don't really want to go into detail but a member of my family was told lots of things by a medium and swallowed the whole lot hook, line and sinker even though it wasn't possible for any of this to be true nor was there any proof of it being true. That member of my family is a stupid twat that is pretty much ostracized cause they believed a stranger who claimed a ghost told them something over their own flesh and blood. Mediums are usually ugly cunts with fat arses that are desperate for attention or grey haired old twats who think they are important.

• Paid Members
The fact that there's an industry based on conning money out of people who are grieving just reminds me that, as a species, we're basically cunts.

This.

The ones who truly believe they have "the gift" are delusional and perhaps deserve pity, those who go on TV and talk to ghosts in haunted houses fall under the same category of harmless bullshit as horoscope writers and Mystic Meg, but the ones who exploit the bereaved and making a living from pissing on the memory of their real loved ones are absolutely despicable people who deserve to be exposed and humiliated.

I don't think exploiting people's grief should be passed off as entertainment, and I don't believe "comforting" people by pretending to talk to their dead relatives is healthy at all. Deluding yourself and essentially pretending not only that your loved one isn't really dead but that you can pay some person to talk to them is no way to grieve.

The Penn and Teller: Bullshit episode on the subject of psychics and mediums is pretty good by the way.

I'd strongly recommend this book to anyone that is interested in mediums or psychics etc. It's the best book on cold reading with some transcripts of "readings", digressions on non-magical uses and applications. Very interesting little read. The author is ahem an interesting character although much liked apparently by people that seem to know him.

Are you him or something?

Nope - just that some of his website comes across as brash and bombastic about the benefits of applied cold reading. Which strikes me as weird for a skeptic. But on the other hand he's a magician. Anyhow it seems from the internet many in the magic community like him and some don't so perhaps he's a marmite sort of person.

Anyhow - great article on the subject in the Guardian today following Sally Morgan getting caught hot reading in Ireland.

• Moderators
Are you him or something?

Nope - just that some of his website comes across as brash and bombastic about the benefits of applied cold reading. Which strikes me as weird for a skeptic. But on the other hand he's a magician. Anyhow it seems from the internet many in the magic community like him and some don't so perhaps he's a marmite sort of person.

Anyhow - great article on the subject in the Guardian today following Sally Morgan getting caught hot reading in Ireland.

Haha, this is amazing. Hearing the feeders through an open window!

Won't make a shred of difference to her believers though. The blind denial of hardened believers is an apt topic, given the way the Fortean thread's gone of late.

• Paid Members

Heard an amazing exchange on local radio last night between a "psychic" and someone who believed that she herself had powers.

Medium: I'm getting the impression that your spirit guide is a Chinese man? (They'd previously discussed the woman's patronising appreciation of Ancient Chinese cultures)

Rube: No, he's actually a Native American.

Medium: I believe that this Chinese man has taken over from your previous spirit guide.

Rube: Great!

I can only imagine what caused the Native American to be relieved of his duties, but it certainly seems a shame that the once proud man has been looked over in favour of a new kid on the block. Hopefully he won't turn to ghost drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived