Ten years ago today ... (appreciation thread surprise!~)

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

It's a shame that most folk who've only really been watching in the last ten years or so will remember Kronik for being one half of an absolute fucking travesty of a match with Undertaker and Kane (A match that, at the time, I didn't think was too bad at all, and was delighted that the pro-wwf guys were still holding tag team gold. Oh to be 11 again.) and because Clark became another statistic in the list of dead wrestlers. It's a shame because he was an entertaining cat. That photo with KISS is pretty boss.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good article. Being that 2001 was the year I got in to wrestling, I didn't know that Bryan Adams had such a history under variations of the name 'Crush.' Its just as well that you wrote this small biography up of him, because as you said, that tag match at Unforgiven was appalling and would have been the only thing I would have known about him had it not been for you.

Stevie Richards did a nice job in his role I thought. He looked charged! Interesting little fact, Stevie ended up inheriting Kronik's theme song and used it for some years when he was still signed to the WWE.

• Paid Members

I have actually always had a soft spot for Japanese Crush. When i first saw King Of The Ring 1994 it was the first time i saw him chilling in the locker room with fellow compatriots Yoko and Fuji. Never saw much of him from there so he was always a mysterious character that i only discovered again thanks to you tube.

• Paid Members

When I was a kid I fucking loved Crush. Watching him annihilate Shawn with simple stuff - dropkick, powerslam, Military press, legdrop, tilt a whirl backbreaker - was great fun. I managed to connvince myself of two things as an eleven-year-old -

(1) Crush could slam Yokozuna, and in fact would slam Yokozuna and pin him to the WWF title as soon as that bastard Tunney woke up to Crush's awesomeness and gave him his shot ;

(2) A babyface vs babyface match between Crush and Tatanka would be amazing.

Shows what I knew.

When I was a kid I fucking loved Crush. Watching him annihilate Shawn with simple stuff - dropkick, powerslam, Military press, legdrop, tilt a whirl backbreaker - was great fun. I managed to connvince myself of two things as an eleven-year-old -

(1) Crush could slam Yokozuna, and in fact would slam Yokozuna and pin him to the WWF title as soon as that bastard Tunney woke up to Crush's awesomeness and gave him his shot ;

(2) A babyface vs babyface match between Crush and Tatanka would be amazing.

Shows what I knew.

Crush and Tatanka did end up facing off a few times after he turned and from my memory, the matches were still pretty good. They had a straight KOTR qualifier, and also a fun lumberjack match on RAW with a big time feel, which may also have been a KOTR qualifier rematch iirc. That Yoko match which caused the turn wasn't bad either. Of all the guys on the roster, i would have preferred him to have a go at Yoko on the Intrepid and at Summerslam, but really I wanted the Warrior to return.

Crush was great in the first half of the 90s, everybody seemed to like him. I didn't really see the need to turn him at that time when he had barely a year in the colourful 'Kona' run. Funny how when he did turn he suddenly became a martial arts master just because he was associated with a couple of Japanese guys.

The shit he got from the internet in general was way over the top imo. It was only really in WCW that he completely turned to crap, but that was only a year or two of an otherwise good career spanning a decade or so - and it's not like he was alone. I've often said that he was awful as tattooed head jailbird, but browsing through a lot of odd stuff on youtube and dailymotion, i'm finding there's still some half decent, or at least innoffensive, matches scattered around from that spell around 96/97.

Good thread this btw.

Despite most people attributing it to nWo era Hogan, I believe Hawaiian-with-blonde-highlights-era Crush was first to use the term "brah" regularly in promos. He says it a few times in the "Cold Crush" song that was mentioned too.

Archived