Do you reckon you'll ever stop being a fan?

King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Like many have said earlier, i'm more of a retro fan who watches old PPV shows and downloads old episodes of TNT etc.

I dip in and out of watching it at the moment, so if Raw or Smackdown happens to be on I might watch it, but not really bothered if I miss it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I don't think I'll ever stop being a fan of wrestling I'm finding it incredibly difficult to care about anything that's happening in the WWE or TNA anymore. I recently found myself watching Raw for no other reason than to see what CM Punk would say and then fast-forwarding through all of the matches because I had absolutely no interest in them, on the other hand I watch some of the matches on Impact and skip past the talking because I don't really care about the storylines. I watch old episodes of Raw and Nitro and although the storylines and matches were sometimes a little bit dodgy the shows never failed to be entertaining. I love watching episodes of ECW Hardcore TV and the ECW PPV's because it proves that a limited budget can be overcome by creative thinking and smart booking, and I think that maybe that's my problem with WWE and TNA; I've been watching wrestling for as long as I can remember and I've pretty much seen it all. Nobody's doing anything daring or attempting to take wrestling in an exciting new direction, there's no innovation or creativity, it's just the same stories recycled endlessly and I believe that people watch it because they have no choice or because they're hoping it'll get better... it's like driving a car with a dodgy engine and hoping it'll sort itself out.

I probably post like someone who hates wrestling but in actuality I love wrestling more than anything else, I've seen wrestling be innovative and exciting and it pisses me off when a company like the WWE, who are the industry standard and have all of the wealth and tools at their disposal to be the best promotion in the world bar-none, putting out boring and predictable programming every week. The WWE have literally no excuse to be putting out bad television because we all know that they can be absolutely fucking amazing when they feel like it, if the problem is bad writing (which it is) why not just hire some new writers, God forbid they actually get some people on the creative team that like wrestling.

• Paid Members

Yes. I probably have stopped being a fan. I still like wrestling and sometimes watch it and do go on this forum, but being a fan suggests some form of commitment, enthusiasm and support. I've got none of those for modern pro wrestling.

It's not so much that Ill stop being a fan as that Ill stop being a avid "follow it by the letter" fan. I used to love wrestling every week on SKY! Watching every friday night for RAW when the action was decent and the storylines made you have to see the next week. It's insane how back in 19989 I couldnt miss a week - even being stroppy when we couldnt leave holiday early so i didnt miss it! I remember going away in 1998 when it was the highway to hell and it was the week that they had that Hell in a Cell cage and all hell broke loose on RAW. I was broken hearted that I had missed a good looking RAW for a week on holiday!

Coming back to today. I watch WM and RR. I catch the very very very rare RAW and never watch SD. I have very little interest in the characters because they are pushed and de-pushed so quickly that I cant keep up and the matches are so formulaic that it's like painting by numbers. The fact that they are pushing the same, tired acts for years with no change in character or direction is really becoming difficult.

Thing is when they are good they are AWESOME. WWE are the best entertainment company in the world bar NONE but thats their problem. They are an ENTERTAINMENT company not a wrestling company. I want it to go back to the good old days where commentators acted like it was about the titles and the purse and the prestige.. that it was a real sporting event and so much was at stake. I miss the days where the commentators acted like it was real and talked about the strategy used by wrestlers in their matches. OOOOOOOO what does that sound like? MMA...UFC.... They stole everything WWE did and is doing it better! They are making a killing off what WRESTLING CREATED!

Sorry I digress. These, amongst other reasons are probably the main issues and reasons why 'll always be a "on the edge" fan and not a fully time lover of wrestling anymore. Nothing grabs my attention enough to make an effort. I am not technology minded so streaming/downloading etc shows is a no no plus I hate watching wrestling on the computer.

On a side note ill never escape wrestling because I train and want to learn everything possible. I want to watch to get better and even if I never get on a show I want to be able to better myself at my hobby.

Aside from WM, Royal Rumble and Summerslam, I don't watch any wrestling now.

When I was a kid and it was all about Hogan and Warrior, my life pretty much revolved around WWF and then I went through a phase of watching every Raw and Smackdown in my late teens, towards the turn of the millennium.

But right now, and bearing in mind I'm now 28 and married, unless it's one of the above big shows, I just don't have any interest and I'd much rather watch something like Preston vs Exeter in League 1.

Archived