Do you reckon you'll ever stop being a fan?

King Pitcos

I'll always be a fan of the older stuff, and rewatch my old DVDs fairly regularly, so in that respect I'll always be a fan.

Being a fan of the current output though, is a different matter. I did turn off entirely between mid-02 and late-04, mainly because I didn't have access to it rather than going off it. I missed the entire Brock Lesnar and Goldberg runs!

I haven't watched Smackdown for a year or so, and have gone from watching every episode of Raw to only every other one, but without feeling like I missed anything. I've stopped going to tapings and house shows. On the flip side, now that financial circumstances permit me to do so, I've taken up going to Wrestlemania the last two years and again next year. I go for the spectacle of it more than anything else.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Without the internet and youtube I may have lost interest. The internet in this day and age is perfect for fans who got into it as a kid with Warrior and Hogan went into pre-teens with Bret and Shawn and was a teenager during the nWo/Attitude era/ECW era. If you in your 20s, the internet is a gold mine. Because there was no snobbery as a child, I have fond memories of some of the shittest stuff ever and find it watchable. Kamala and Shark's debuts in WCW for example I watch occassionally and smile. Seeing the Men on a Mission vs The Smoking Gunns and shite like that. There's a million things to make you smile by typing it into a search engine. As far as modern wrestling, there will always be something that pops up. Whether its Flair retiring, Orton booting Vince, TNA signing Hogan, Bret coming back, Nexus forming, Diesel coming back, Michaels vs Undertaker, Undertaker vs Triple H, Angle vs Jarrett, Punk vs Cena or stuff like that, until the end of wrestling there will always be something that gets you into it. Granted they may fuck it up in the end, but at least its proves your buttons are still working.

So, I doubt i'll ever grow out of it. When you pop for a 50 year old man with a beard and long hair in a stripped shirt because he had his entrance music from 1996, you'll never grow out of it.

• Paid Members

Id like to say yes.

However i still catch TNA now and again, Since CM punk has been doing his thing ive watched bits of raw.

I enjoy shoots, and the kayfabe time lines and youshoots more than anything on TV.

Wrestling has not been must watch for me for way to many years now.

May be slightly off topic, but it gets my back up when some former friends who now wrestle, say once or twice a month, say they can't watch it anymore because "they are now in the business!". Give me a break. We all love it and know part of us will always demand we catch, say an episode of Raw, as often as we can.

• Paid Members

Probably not now, I think I'll always be a fan in some capacity. I had a period of about 4 years where I watched nothing, and upto Royal Rumble this year I probably only watched 1 raw and the main PPVs. I have been watching Raw and PPVs regularly since and am trying to stay on top of it. I'm also enjoying watching lots of nostalgic stuff.

I reckon if I wasn't on the UKFF so much I'd probably have stopped watching and not bothered again. UKFF saved Rasslin' for me.

Like most on here, I was a wee lad during the Hogan era and spent my teens through the Hart/Michaels era. I was 18/19 during the awesome attitude era, and I don't know if it was my age or how I was feeling at the time, but everything seemed genuinely amazing back then.

Pop culture was cool, Britain was cool (Austin Powers helping that one!), TV was awesome (TFI Friday, The Word, White Room) and Oasis we're the biggest band in the country. Liam Gallagher and the Rock had more influence on me than any teacher, friend or my parents had! WWE is the reason I am a personal trainer and shaped the way I am!

So for me it's what I grew up with. I will always follow it and buy into it. Just like I will always buy anything Noel or Liam bring out, whether it is amazing or fucking terrible, the same applies to WWE. I will always subscribe to Sky Sports because of WWE (which pains me as my Sky + hardly works and HD cuts out a lot!) and will continue to be pissed off at tight arses on here asking for streams!!!!!!!!

I don't watch any current wrestling, outside of WrestleMania every year, but I end up watching old stuff all the time on YouTube and I keep up with what's happening because of places like this.

I think if there comes a time when I no longer spend any time on the internet, then I'll probably stop being a wrestling fan completely.

• Paid Members

I'll probably always follow it in some way or another, although I don't always watch it these days. Before the CM Punk promo I actually stopped watching RAW completely for a spell before that compelled me to check it out again. Now it's back to the bore for that show. I've generally preferred Smackdown over the years, but that's pretty stale right now aside from a few stand out characters. There's not really been a gripping long term story arc in se time on that show. It needs a new GM, the life breathed into the show when Vickie took over from Teddy Long was ridiculous. Now it's same old, with the same old.

But yeah, even when I don't watch RAW or Smackdown, I read the spoilers. Same with Impact, although I haven't really enjoyed that for years.

Nah. I already grew out of it at the appropriate age when I was about 14, but Austin, Rock and the nWo hooked me back in time for my late teens. Like Ian said, the chances are there'll always be something going on in wrestling that interests me, and even if it got to the stage where there wasn't, I'd still stick on the Attitude era DVDs from time to time. If I was ever going to properly transfer my enthusiasm for wrestling to MMA as seems to be the popular option these days, it would have happened by now.

I might not always be at the stage where I can be arsed to debate it online, but I think purplemonkey made a good point about how it connects you to your youth and how much fun it can be when taken in that spirit. Men never grow out of shit 80s action films, no matter how silly and dated they might seem today, and I think it's similar with wrestling.

• Paid Members

I stopped watching around late 2003 (after spending a good chunk of my life watching it) and pretty much didn't bother with it bar the 2004 Royal Rumble and a couple of Wrestlemanias (plus the odd Sting match in TNA). I'd occasionally buy Power Slam during this time too. Wrestling stopped being fun for the first time ever and I was getting well fed up of Triple H being 'the guy'. When he started smacking Goldberg about like a bitch I was done. I imagine like a lot of people, when WWE started fucking about with their favourite WCW stars they felt alienated from WWE and their obvious egotism.

I watched my first Raw in ages when I heard Chris Jericho was back. That Raw show was rubbish and his comeback wasn't all that, so I didn't bother following up next week. It wasn't until I was bored one day and decided to randomly download the Royal Rumble, what a show it was. MSG, a white hot Jeff Hardy (a teenage/childhood hero) vs Randy Orton and John Cenas surprise return. The show was so good I decided to tune into Raw and to my surprise Raw was good. I think I picked the perfect time to get back into it, as looking back wrestling was on a role during that time. WWE put on so many great PPVs that year and TNA still had some life in the product back then, the Joe v Angle match at Lockdown made me a fan and TNA was better than Raw most weeks, I thought.

Sadly, I'm a bit more jaded now after a few years of watching. I think a lot of that has to do with the internet. When I was getting back into it, I'd download the show and that was that, but when you post on forums you tend to over analyse things and start taking the fun out of it. I've also come to the realization that TNA and WWE will probably never be as 'hot' or be as good as they should be, everything is rushed and the people in power are old and out of touch.

I doubt I'll stop watching for four years though. As Ian said, they always give you a little hope for a month and that pulls you back in.

I can honestly say I will never stop loving or watching wrestling. It has been such a huge part of my life since I was around 5 years old and has provided me with so many great memories and moments throughout the years. I am now 28, married and have my own pad with the hubby and the first thing I made sure we did was to get Sky installed and Sky Sports ordered!

Back in the day my brother and I watched EVERYTHING! Even the highlights shows we were such huge fans nowadays I Sky plus them all but we mainly stick to watching RAW and the PPV's with the occasional Vintage Smackdown and TNA show thrown in. Time these days having a lot to do with it. I love watching all the old dvds too and IMO there is nothing quite like WWE live and I still dream of the day I am able to attend Wrestlemania.

For me being a huge Shawn Michaels fan it isn't the same without him but I am still entertained by the show every week whether it be the good or the bad!

Archived