Sitcom Ideas

Halitosis Romantic

I have three, but not really devloped them beyond sketching out plot.

1) Strangely already mentioned, but a 'zany' sitcomebased in a Jobcentre, strange clientel and even more odd staff. Think half an hour of "Paulines Pens"

2) Based around a manic celebrity agent who hit rock bottom, went to jail, and is trying to rebuild his life with help of of his only client: a stoned Bobby Ball

3) More of a movie idea, and a shame that part of it was kinda used by the Hangover 2 (I came up with this 3 years ago). Bloke gets dumped by his girlfriend, has a dream about an Asian beauty, decides to go to Thailand to follow his dream and find his true love, along with two of his co - workers... one of whom is wanted by the police who end up following them out there.

• Paid Members
A Game of Two Halfs (spelling will become clear in a second) - about two football referees (one fat, one thin) living together. The only real bits Id like to see is a) them taking the wrong uniform to a game and b)practising running backwards on a treadmill

Nicked off of Sean Lock!

Mine's called Prison Rules, about a football team who are all arrested and put in the same prison. That's as far as I've got.

Nicked off of Sean Lock!

Mine's called Prison Rules, about a football team who are all arrested and put in the same prison. That's as far as I've got.

its actually partly nicked off my mate at work, so he could have nicked it off Sean Lock. I havent heard it in any of his stand-up though.

Does you football sitcom features guest spots by Joey Barton and Craig Bellamy?

I decided to run with it, but I don't think the waking mind does these concepts as well. My two ideas so far are:

- Episode 5 would be entitled "Pilot", and would show the events of the pilot, which is a parody of a pilot - different actors for some roles, actors in other roles and with other motivations. Also, a less oppressive atmosphere, as this is just the pilot, and not the existential hell that the characters have become trapped in.

- One of the episodes would proceed with the usual banality, but at the 16 minute mark, a female character would slap one of the guys for being 'fresh', but the slap would messily decapitate the guy. The rest of the episode would be horrible pandemonium and panic, breaking down into screaming and people rushing hither and thither... which would the title of the episode.

I quite like both of these things, and they could work set to pretty much any backdrop you decided upon. Good stuff.

• Paid Members
Me and my mate actually started writing a sitcom called Sitcom, which was to be a mockumentary style affair shot without a laughter track, following the lives of two aspiring sitcom writers who have been commissioned to write a series for the BBC. We follow their struggles to come up with ideas, frequent arguments and eventually they settle on trying to write a (hardly groundbreaking) show revolving around the on-off relationship between two of their best friends, and a never ending cycle of cameo characters. In the end the BBC reject the script the two have written, but air the documentary they have filmed of the writing process anyway.

So me and my mate were sat around night after night over cups of tea/coffee, trying to write a sitcom about two lads writing a sitcom. After the first few arguments about character development/episode synopsi/dialogue... it started writing itself. We might finish it one day.

I quite like this idea, kind of like Adapatation meets The Office. Sort of. Anyway, i like it.

I've always thought the Clerks premise easily lent itself to being a TV sitcom series.

• Paid Members
its actually partly nicked off my mate at work, so he could have nicked it off Sean Lock. I havent heard it in any of his stand-up though.

Does you football sitcom features guest spots by Joey Barton and Craig Bellamy?

He said it on a panel show, I can't remember what one though. Actually it might have been his Room 101 appearance. Your mate definitely nicked it, right down to the backwards treadmills.

I'm think having guest appearances would detract from the (already paper thin) satirical element of the show. It should be a cross between Porridge and A Prince Among Men, and that's going to be tough to pull off, because one of them is piss weak.

EDIT: Almost certain the Sean Lock thing was on Soccer AM, but it's been removed of youtube. Arses.

Maybe something about a mature student. I wouldn't base it entirely on campus, but his status as someone who's something of an anomaly in all his peer groups should be emphasised - whether it be the younger students at university, the lecturers, or just his mates with full-time jobs.

In terms of tone, I'd go somewhere between Teachers and Curb Your Enthusiasm - like Teachers, I'd want it to be completely irreverent and debunk all the popular cliches of university life, and like Curb, I'd want his 'anomaly' status to be broadly based on the inherent ridiculousness of everyone around him.

Having you been following me around at Uni?

That's not (to quote Alan Partridge) an "idea for a show...", that's MY LIFE!!

Archived