UFC on FOX I discussion

PowerButchi

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They know how many fights if they go the distance will fill the timeslot provided with entrances and hype. Simple basic maths, not rocket science. Think about it.

Also they generally have 'dark matches' called prelims, so that if the show finishes early they have a few fights to fill the time with.

• Paid Members

On PPV they plan for the main event to start between 1:30 and 2:00 into the show. If the other main card fights finish before 1:30 they air undercard matches to pad it out. Once the main event is done, they air undercard matches to fill the rest of the show.

Generally about 50% of matches go the distance, though obviously that varies a lot from show to show.

On both TV and PPV, they have far more matches before the broadcast that during it, so they rarely have any problems filling space.

On Spike they are usually OK to run over a little. They'll probably be OK on Fuel/FX, but can't overrun on Fox which is why they were only scheduling two matches, and now only one as it's five rounds.

• Paid Members

Glad to see a bit of an overhaul. I mentioned a year or so ago that the UFC gets very repetitive. Any chance of them overhauling Mike Goldberg? I like him and all but he just says the same thing over and over again. Rogan does to an extent too. I reckon I could commentate on 90% of the shows myself by just spouting their phrases over and over again. If UFC was pro-wrestling, they'd get absolutely shit on for having the had same intro, commentary and formula for so long.

Hoping this will engage me in the product a little more. I've almost stopped watching over the past year because it's so samey.

Glad to see a bit of an overhaul. I mentioned a year or so ago that the UFC gets very repetitive. Any chance of them overhauling Mike Goldberg? I like him and all but he just says the same thing over and over again. Rogan does to an extent too. I reckon I could commentate on 90% of the shows myself by just spouting their phrases over and over again. If UFC was pro-wrestling, they'd get absolutely shit on for having the had same intro, commentary and formula for so long.

Hoping this will engage me in the product a little more. I've almost stopped watching over the past year because it's so samey.

"COMING UP NEXT"

Not a chance, the following people Dana will be loyal to for life.

Forrest

Bonner

Rogan

Goldberg

Liddel

They will have a job for life in some way, Rogan is more likely to leave than Goldberg as he does have his comedy thing going on. As long as Goldberg wants the commentary job he will have it, he is repetitive and I dont listen to him but he isnt as overbearing as say Michael Cole or depressing as Jim Watt, he doesnt take away from the product in any massive way.

Funny one of the reasons I have given up on WWE is because it has the same intro, formula and faces all the time. Glad UFC are overhauling a bit to aviod being stale and repetitive.

Apparently there may be some conflict with Rogan since he is doing Fear Factor for NBC and they may not want him appearing on a rival network.

I like Goldberg but he does sound like a video game commentator a lot, just repeating the same few phrases.

I'd love to see Michael Schiavello doing UFC but I can't see them wanting an Australian lead commentator.

Apparently there may be some conflict with Rogan since he is doing Fear Factor for NBC and they may not want him appearing on a rival network.

I like Goldberg but he does sound like a video game commentator a lot, just repeating the same few phrases.

I'd love to see Michael Schiavello doing UFC but I can't see them wanting an Australian lead commentator.

Whilst Fox are very keen on Gus Johnson, I cant see them having two play by play guys with Johnson and Goldberg.

If Rogan cant appear, I think we will get Kenny Florian as a replacement, I for one prefer Rogan, there is somthing very meh about Florian.

Do you just mean stop watching UFC or stop watching MMA? I don't see how you can stop watching a sport because the show is the same each time. I don't hear people giving up on watching football because they don't like the commentator on Sky or because they the graphics are pretty match the same from season to season.

• Paid Members
Do you just mean stop watching UFC or stop watching MMA? I don't see how you can stop watching a sport because the show is the same each time. I don't hear people giving up on watching football because they don't like the commentator on Sky or because they the graphics are pretty match the same from season to season.

I don't really watch MMA outside of UFC.

I wasn't just talking about the presentation being samey or suggesting that a new title sequence would pique my interest. I was talking about this new show with a massive fight interesting me.

I think the whole UFC thing is a bit samey. Not just the production and the rent-a-quote commentary but the whole format. The trash talk, the fighters, etc. It almost feels the same on every PPV. I don't feel like there are enough different characters, especially the newer fighters, they all feel the same. I'm not buying into it at the moment, haven't for the past year or so.

It's not pro wrestling though, so they don't. That's like saying you'd stop watching Premiership football because you don't like Andy Gray's commentary style.

Archived