Who is more BORING than McGillicutty & Otunga?

SK8_WAR

does the current crop of, or at least majority of, divas come as assumed. i think punk summed it up on commentary a few months back when eve was wearing ugg boots and he said that is exactly how he feels about her. i swear i went a good two months thinking eve and rosa were the same person.

EDIT: also ted dibiasie. bores me to tears, looks just like a custom-wrestler and has been completely overshadowed by cody as the true success of their team from 2009. he even managed to make maryse, one of their most charismatic women, suffer through association for a year.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a heads up, I edited my previous to add this

I wouldn't know if they were hired solely to have matches with Davey and Owen, and they were kept around for a bit after that.

They may have got over with you. but they didn't with me, and listening to the crowds they didn't with them either. Didn't after their heel turn either. But why weren't they boring? How can they have been booked better than they were? They were giving a winning streak, brought in as International stars of some importance, and given plenty of time in the ring to do their impressive flashy offence to get over. They got given a fine chance, and the fact they are boring put paid to that. They were even farmed to ECW, probably in order to liven up a bit or something, were brought back and were still dull as dishwater.

It started quite well for them, but after their first Tag Title shot (which they won by DQ) they didn't get a re-match, then they were injured in a car crash (am I remembering correctly that it also had Sid and perhaps Scorpio in the car??) and missed months of TV.

When they returned they were heels, I think.

I'm not saying they were super entertaining or hugely mis-used, but I was certainly expecting more. To be fair, outside of Davy & Owen the tag scene was utter shit, so they'd be hard pressed to impress wrestling dross like The Godwinns and DOA.

They had no more or less charisma/character than McGillitunga do anyway, and they were much more fun to watch in the ring.

• Moderators

They started heeling in April of '97 and had a few tussles with LOD. Then the car crash in June or so, then a stint in ECW, then back to WWF for Survivor Series that year for a few dull months. DOA weren't really about the same time as them. In early 97 the tag scene wasn't too bad anyroads. Davey and Owen, Headbangers, LOD, New Blackjacks. Not too awful. At least McGillicutty wears a do-rag, I can't think of anything interesting about Furnas and LaFon. Even when I was 13 or so I knew what they were doing in the ring was very good and all that, but I didn't care. I had no reason to care. They didn't give me one. They bored me senseless. WWF wasn't the place for them, and in that world they were as must-see as lard.

• Paid Members

At the time, I'd be siding with Dirty Eddie. I really likes Furnas and LaFon. I liked the way they wrestled, I thought they looked great and I bought them as "International superstars".

Now, I'd agree with Butch. They didn't get over one little bit. They were dull in that environment and the crowd didn't buy them at all. i don't know what else the WWF could have done at the time to make them more interesting. had they given them some stupid gimmick to get them over, there would have been criticism from the same people who'd consider them under-utilised.

Have we forgotten about the Heavenly Bodies?

The New Midnight Express that popped up were so boring it defies logic.

And as someone already mentioned the Teacher's Pets that followed Michelle McCool around were beyond dreadful.

Heavenly Bodies were far from boring. I'll give you the other two although the only thing I remember of The Teachers Pets is a surprisingly good tag match with Paul London & Brian Kendrick.

Boring tag teams off the top of my head:

Kenzo Suzuki & Rene Dupree

Lance Storm & William Regal (and Lance Storm & Sean Morley)

Truth Commission

Los Boricuas (particularly the B-squad of Jose & Jesus)

Mideon & Viscera

Right to Censor (although that was sort of the idea)

• Paid Members

Someone posted that awesome video of the reaction to La Resistance winning the tag titles which somehow clouded by judgement of them. They were the drizzling shits. Not as bad as The Heartthrobs, Dicks, etc but still pretty awful.

If there's a fight over the Heavenly Bodies, I'll be on the side that fights for .... boring!

I always hated The Quebecers too. Raven was alright but the actual tag team was shit. I am quite fond of Oulette looking back but at the time, I thought they were dire.

• Paid Members

There's an article from a 1996 edition of Power Slam about Furnas and Kroffat signing with WWF. They brought them in because one was a junior heavyweight Canadian (like Owen) and the other was top worker built like a brick shit house (like Davey Boy). It was a perfect pairing, because the tag scene was dead at the time and only Owen and Davey were doing much in it. And it was the era of WCW and ECW, were fans wanted good wrestling with their gimmicks. They really didnt do a whole lot in the WWF to be fair. The nail in their coffin was when they brought back the Legion of Doom as the top tag team. LOD were the establishment and Doug and Dan got thrown to the scrap heap, because WWF had no time pissing about with anyone who wasnt already gimmicked up. I think they worked more TV dates for ECW that WWF that year. They were hardly ever seen on PPV's. They sounded like two Dean Malenko's on the mic as well.

• Moderators

Were Doug Furnas under WWF contract when he spent the first half of 1998 in ECW anyone know? He were on "Team WWF" with Lance Wright, Droz and Brakus, so I'm guessing so.

And The Heavenly Bodies were superb, for the record.

• Moderators

Furnas was showing off in front of the Hart lads, as he put his tail between his legs and came back to work the next night. Probably even didn't get a bigger payoff like Foley as well. Lost to Glen Kulka on the Tuesday after it as well.

• Paid Members
And The Heavenly Bodies were superb, for the record.

Yep, wish they had been around longer.

I loved the Quebecers as well, I thought they were absolutely ace. Their Quebec Rules match with the Steiners is one of my all time favourites.

• Paid Members

I liked the Bashams. They were fun in The Cabinet, decent in rung and had great music.

I'll echo The Major Brother shout. There wasn't much point to them. The Heart throbs didn't really get the chance to be anything but mundane until that infamous web show either.

Archived