Who is more BORING than McGillicutty & Otunga?

SK8_WAR

On what planet were Furnas and La Fon boring?

In a world where you need a "gimmick" and "charisma" to get over.

Booker T clarified this on Smackdown in response to Michael Cole;

Kelly Kelly did her "wiping my arse on your face" gimmick and Cole said "What the hell was that?"

Booker's answer...

"It's called CHARISMA, Cole"

So there you have it. If Doug Furnas had added "face to arse wiping" as a move, they'd have not been boring.

(Or maybe, they could have booked Furnas/LaFon better)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Is there a way they could have been booked and pushed other than "Pure Wrestlers" which is pretty much an albatross around the neck in this day and age anyway? How could they have been booked better than beating all comers in a bit of a streak, and being positioned as major international superstars as they were for the first 3 months or so of their stint? Yeah, they had very good matches aesthetically, but was there a reason to ever care? Did they ever show anything themselves to even show the potential to be interesting? There was no place for a team like Furnas and LaFon in the world of 1997 WWF. Things were getting edgy and exciting, and then you get these two dull personalities who didn't show any reason to give a shit about them be they heel or face. In their first appearance they are put over the over Tag Team Champions cleanly at Survivor Series, and it still didn't inspire any real reaction from the crowd. In the WWF they entered, they were anything but interesting. They just weren't cut out for mainstream US wrestling.

A few teams that were as or more boring than McGillitunga.....

The Dicks

The DOA

Gymini

Bashams

The New Midnight Express (Holly & Gunn)

Deuce & Domino

No way were Lo Down worse, if only for the fact that at one point they were decked out in turbans and assorted Tiger Ali Singh attire. And of course the powerplex variation.

The Bashams were sound. They had a couple of cracking themes too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8-sb-2yCbY

2005-2006 was full of shite teams. Heart Throbs, Mexicools, Teachers Pets and a few that were already mentioned.

The Bev's were pretty bland at the time but I always have fond memories on their battles with the steiners.

It was around this time that Mike Enos also worked under a mask in various jobber tag teams against the Steiners as he was one of the only people willing to take the Frankensteiner. Not sure where I got that from but I remember it being said somewhere back then. Maybe Powerslam.

Is there a way they could have been booked and pushed other than "Pure Wrestlers" which is pretty much an albatross around the neck in this day and age anyway? Yeah, they had very good matches aesthetically, but was there a reason to ever care? Did they ever show anything themselves to even show the potential to be interesting? There was no place for a team like Furnas and LaFon in the world of 1997 WWF. Things were getting edgy and exciting, and then you get these two dull personalities who didn't show any reason to give a shit about them be they heel or face. In their first appearance they are put over the over Tag Team Champions cleanly at Survivor Series, and it still didn't inspire any real reaction from the crowd. In the WWF they entered, they were anything but interesting.

I'm sure they were brought in almost solely to have great matches with Davy & Owen who had nobody to work with.

I thought they looked really great in that first Survivors match, they certainly got over with me and my mate who watched it at the time.

I think the problem was that the WWF seemed to change their minds very quickly, and began pushing dissension between Davy & Owen, which became their focus, rather than building towards the supposed "great matches" the two teams might have.

Wasn't he once in a really boring team with Val Venis? And another with William Regal? And (possibly) another with 'Garrison' Cade?

They all belong in this thread.

I liked them two tagging together although admittedly it was more because VV had his his awesome Chief Morley gimmick going at the time.

I actually enjoyed The Basham brothers as well, especially when they were hanging around JBL in his "poor man's Evolution" stable.

i've been turning over TNA at the moment whenever gunner/crimson/devon are on my screen.

bj whitmer when he wasnt interacting with jimmy jacobs in roh or bleeding in the czw/roh feud. also adam pierce.

wwe in 2004 seemed to debut a new big man each week; while several went on to become better performers or get better, at the time it made wwe a massive turn-off.

• Moderators
I'm sure they were brought in almost solely to have great matches with Davy & Owen who had nobody to work with.

I thought they looked really great in that first Survivors match, they certainly got over with me and my mate who watched it at the time.

I think the problem was that the WWF seemed to change their minds very quickly, and began pushing dissension between Davy & Owen, which became their focus, rather than building towards the supposed "great matches" the two teams might have.

Just a heads up, I edited my previous to add this

How could they have been booked better than beating all comers in a bit of a streak, and being positioned as major international superstars as they were for the first 3 months or so of their stint?

I wouldn't know if they were hired solely to have matches with Davey and Owen, and they were kept around for a bit after that.

They may have got over with you. but they didn't with me, and listening to the crowds they didn't with them either. Didn't after their heel turn either. But why weren't they boring? How can they have been booked better than they were? They were giving a winning streak, brought in as International stars of some importance, and given plenty of time in the ring to do their impressive flashy offence to get over. They got given a fine chance, and the fact they are boring put paid to that. They were even farmed to ECW, probably in order to liven up a bit or something, were brought back and were still dull as dishwater.

• Paid Members

The thing is when you send two guys out there as a tag team, don't bother giving them a gimmick, storyline or any microphone time...how exactly are they supposed to show personality?

I always found Big Bossman & Albert to be a pretty fucking boring tag team.

Archived