SUPER Smackdown 30/08/11

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Undoubtedly. How can the fans buy someone as a main eventer when every heel that gets the title inevitably drops it to Orton/Cena within a few months and then gets pushed back down to the midcard permeanantly.

If this was the Attitude era, after the reactions Riley was getting from his fued with Miz they would have another fued already lined up to keep him hot and raise his poularity. But these days he has done fuck all since then and now no one gives a shit about him. It's because of this that so few have managed to break through the glass ceiling.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I hate about the promos (apart from the delievery and the over acting) is the hollier than thou way his character comes across. He isnt likable in the slightest from where I'm sitting. He's a prick to Triple H, a bully to Stephanie McMahon (if it was Jerry Lawler saying that type of stuff about Mickie James, I'm sure people wouldnt class it as endearing) and his persona isnt clear whether he's a heel or face. And his character is such an oxymoron. The microphone is apparently a pipe bomb in his hand, yet his promos arent edgy in the slightest and Triple H (the man in a suit remember) is the one breaking from the norm and delivering the threats like a true rebel. Punk is supposed to be the "Voice of the voiceless", yet depending on the city he's in, he isnt as over as Randy Orton, John Cena or Triple H and to the audience they are playing to in arenas and on television probably is as over as The Miz and Alberto Del Rio. And he's been saying he's bringing change and keeps banging on about it for months now, yet not a single thing has changed due to him since his return to television. Nash is back, but thats not his doing. Del Rio is champions, but that was in spite of him. Cena is challenging for the belt again. "Dwayne" is returning very soon to blow all the angles away and knock the likes of Punk, Nash, Del Rio, The Miz and R-Truth further down the card. WWE has changed a lot in the last few months, but I remember when CM Punk was at his hottest just after MITB. WWE did a reset where they changed the champion, changed the authority figure, changed the heels and babyfaces around and did a few more things to make Raw more interesting. And the shows have been better for it. Even both brands are wrestling each other on the same show now, which is all down to the big man in the suit who occassionally carries a sledgehammer. The only person thats suffered since this has been CM Punk. His stock has fallen badly, RVD-esque. You cant blame WWE to much, because they gave him SO much freedom on the microphone. Gave him a shitload of time to get his matches and angles over. Its unprecedented how much freedom and leeway they've given him. I dont know what the fucks happened. Whatever he's selling the audience arent buying.

Which is why they should have handled it so much better after MITB. WWE is so short sighted now they will never take full advantage of a talent or an angle in the foreseeable future. Punk never was that edgey, he was simply saying things others werent and he still is in some ways. All of what came out from CM Punk int he run up to MITB was from frustration and anger and he should have returned to that after Summerslam, if not before and he had the perfect excuse to with it looking like HHH and the board just wanted to get the belt off him anyway they could. He should have gone on to cause problems and make a stand like he did before MITB. Pointless debating it though, WWE in fucking up decent angle is hardly new to us.

• Paid Members

The CM Punk thing was pretty fucked the moment he was brought back far too soon. It killed everything he was saying and stood for in the angle previously. Many here claimed they had to bring Punk back then because he was so over and that needed to be capitalized on and that it would be stupid not to (most of these people seem to now be saying how much his stock has fallen).

The original fundamentals of the angle were sound, but they've all changed now in the past month or so. The angle (or maybe Punks interpretation of it now) no longer really knows what it is and that's clear as fucking day as each show goes on. It's become somewhat of a contradiction. Punks original gripes and where all the passion stemmed from, from that brilliant first promo (and it was brilliant, not too smarky) are now lost. He hated WWEs backwards system, he went on to make tongue in cheek demands to stay, to be treated like the Cenas of the WWE, but showing that really those things didn't matter to him now, because he had a point to prove. The system had overlooked his talent, he'd positioned himself to take their precious WWE title and walk away with it to slap them in the face for allowing his talents to go to waste and the situation to come to that point. And he did just that. That made him a hero to all those who feel they're not where they should be due to politics or whatever and made him an inspiration for those people to stand up and do something about it and say fuck you i'm better than this to those people. But then he came back a week later (in similar fashion to a situation he mocked) being given all these new bells and whistles like he'd (saracastically, so we thought) demanded and it made him a bit of a sell-out. The explanation for returning so soon was alright, but didn't really cut it. By then the angle had lost so much steam. And now he's gone on to generally be smug and dickery to the guy who hired him back with all the perks. So for the most part he comes across like a whining, unappreciative brat.

Had his original motives remained in place, he'd be on the same wavelength as Miz and R-Truth currently. Around the time of the initial promo i thought there was a chance a unit was being put together of those three and possibly Christian to fight the system and oppose Cena and Orton. Which i kind of wish it was now. The babyface switch to 'i love WWE and i want to change it for the better and that's why i'm still here, because i need to be here to facilitate that change' is ok but is nothing compared to what it was early on and what it could have been. And it could have been the biggest thing since curly fries.

I've just previewed this post and seen Vanny Dammers has made similar points and agree. Shortsightedness and hotshot booking is such a fucking detriment to the product and i'm disappointed by how many fans seem to encourage it. Wrestling fans are so fucking inpatient.

• Paid Members

Yeah. As much as a clown Bryan Alvarez is, he mentioned a really good point the other day:

He said CM Punk wants to change WWE for the better, but doesnt do anything to actually do that. If they were behind his character, they could have had a match where Punk wrestled The Miz or someone and if he won the match the wrestlers from Smackdown would be able to wrestle on Raw. That way he could say he changed something for the better in the WWE. But instead they just said "Smackdown wrestlers are now on Raw". Triple H looks like the one doing the changing for the better (as he even mentioned on Smackdown when he'd approved his music and new t-shirt because he had the power to).

Had his original motives remained in place, he'd be on the same wavelength as Miz and R-Truth currently.

I'm still enjoying CM Punk, but I find the timing very odd. Unless it's all part of a bigger picture, it's weird to have a storyline about a conspiracy against Punk and, at the same time, a storyline where paranoid Miz and R-Truth theorise a conspiracy protecting the main eventers including Punk. Then you've got Christian on the other show going on about "unseen forces" protecting Randy Orton.

Cm punk has unfortunatly, become 'cool edgy guy no 39' to turn into the wwe's latest happy clappy douche bag of a babyface. That throwing up segment was beyond cringeworthy, and he's about as over as santino marrella.

So pretty damn over then?

• Paid Members
So pretty damn over then?

There's Randy Orton over and then there's Santino over. Santino's over but nobody is kicking off if he's not on Raw or Smackdown this week. Not saying thats the thing with Punk, I'm just saying Santino is over because of stuff that you wouldnt really miss if they were gone.

Reading the last few pages of this has given me hope that maybe there is going to be an interesting swerve/angle in the near future, some NWO/Corporation type thing that really shakes everything up (which may already have started with the brand split temporarily ending)

Can't agree enough with the knocking of Punk and/or the booking, before during and after MITB I was getting home from work to see my Dad (who only watches normally if I have it on) watching Raw to see what was going to happen next and he said the other day he's not interested anymore because Punk just seems like a knob now, I can definitely see a lot of casual fans thinking the same, personally I went off him when he said "Pipebomb" on Raw, just thought it was a really up his own arse thing to say

The Rock and Austin characters were both bell-ends of the highest order, though, and people went mental for them. Different times, though, I suppose. And everyone could relate to wanting to give their boss a hiding and drinking beer. I suppose Punk's failure to do much number-wise is down to there not being all that many people who relate to "lol wrestling sux now they r pushing Cena too much. Remember ice cream bars and Jack Tunney?"

Isn't the CM Punk storyline a bit like the Matt Hardy storyline from a few years back? When Hardy returned t ofeud wit hEdge, it could never be everything everyone wanted it to be. Because the whole heat of it was down to it being real, but once Matt Hardy showed up on WWE television it reminded you that what you were watching wasn't real and the heat couldn't carry on. That's the issue with worked shoots, especially ones where someone leaves the company. The Punk storyline would have always crapped out once he returned to the company. There's nothing you can do about it.

The Rock and Austin characters were both bell-ends of the highest order, though, and people went mental for them. Different times, though, I suppose. And everyone could relate to wanting to give their boss a hiding and drinking beer. I suppose Punk's failure to do much number-wise is down to there not being all that many people who relate to "lol wrestling sux now they r pushing Cena too much. Remember ice cream bars and Jack Tunney?"

I think the main problem with Punk is he doesn't see to care about anything (in terms of his character), before MITB he hated Cena because he got all the money and stardom that Punk deserved he himself deserved as he's better than Cena, then he beat Cena and fucked off, then he came back when Cena won the "other" belt, so far so good

In the build up to Summerslam he wanted to be the Undisputed champion, went and beat Cena then was twatted by Big Kev then lost the belt to Del Rio, Punk should be really pissed off at Nash right?

Nope, all his promos with Nash so far seem to be jokey things where he just makes wisecracks and insider references at Nash even though he should be wanting to absolutely twat Nash for costing him the belt which symbolised the fact that he was best in the world (which is apparently his entire motivation for being in WWE)

I hate to hark back to the Attitude era but can you imagine Austin (who Punk was being compared to only a few weeks ago) losing the title due to interference and then spending the next few weeks making jokes about the person who cost them the belt? No it'd be a brawl every week on Raw then a match at the next PPV where he tries to get revenge

To finally get to the point, Punk should be wanting to kill Nash for costing him the belt (which the fans could easily get behind) but he just seems to wander around on Raw waiting for an excuse to make a joke or mention Stephanie

Archived