The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

That's probably one of the more actually lucha (well, AAA Lucha) things they do to be honest. Although there it tends to be in six or eight people matches and often involving exoticos and minis too.

I'm surprised underground hasn't run with an exotico character really. Cassandro always seems to pick up a lot of media attention, you'd think they'd want to bring him in or at least try and introduce another exotico. I suppose AAA's current exotico star, Pimpi, has probably slowed down too much for them to be interested.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Mamba would be a great fit. She can go in the ring and has a great look.

I'm only uneasy with man-woman stuff when it's imbalanced. But lucha has a great thing of making the top women the equal of the mid-card men. Sexy Star against Big Ryck? Squash. Sexy Star against Pentagon Jr? Competitive match. Makes sense.

• Paid Members

There was a super-fun match with Mamba and Pasion Kristal on opposite sides the other week. Mamba looked really good against Faby Apache. I suspect they might see more in her than you think :)

Brilliant brilliant show again. Building stories as they do, better than anyone else around. Pentagon and Sexy isn't over, both looked great in the match and both are so over. Alberto and Mundo should be a great match that is slowly being built up. The main event was greatly done as usual and constant great action. Great storyline twist and a perfect ending.

Brilliant brilliant show again. Building stories as they do, better than anyone else around. Pentagon and Sexy isn't over, both looked great in the match and both are so over. Alberto and Mundo should be a great match that is slowly being built up. The main event was greatly done as usual and constant great action. Great storyline twist and a perfect ending.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Pentagon and Sexy Star is not over and both came out of the match looking good. You know, somewhere down the line those two are going to be squaring off again. Similarly, it's just little things with Alberto and Mundo, you know Mundo is only going to take so much before questions are asked. And the main event, wow. Story telling at its finest. Everything just slotted together brilliantly in the end. The look on Dario's face after the 'final' is brilliant as well.

One other thing, Melissa's change in tone when introducing Sexy Star and Pentagon was brilliant. Not just that but her cheering for Sexy Star and the fact she sold the injury. Not just in the first match but note she is favouring the leg throughout the show. Simple things like that are priceless. Some brilliant moments in the show.

Edit: Just noticed Angelico's tweet as well. @RealIvelisse @LuchaElRey @MDoggMattCross neither of you have said thank you yet btw...buuuut your welcome!

• Paid Members

Wow what a show! Amazing stuff all round. Lucha Underground is just on a whole other level from everything else right now. The presentation, the characters, the action and the simply brilliant booking. This year Lucha Underground has reminded me why I love wrestling. And next week we have Prince Puma vs Drago, I have no idea what's going to happen and I love it.

One thing I particularly love about Lucha Underground is how y'know WWE likes to present itself as having larger than life colorful characters but most of them are just boring guys in pants who all look the same? Everyone on Lucha Underground has a specific look and they all look like they just jumped out of a comic book or a crazy cartoon.

Even fucking Matt Striker was good on this show. I kid, I actually like the commentary for the most part. Especially Vampiro, he seems cool and his passion really comes across. They better fucking not have JR on it next year as rumored.

• Paid Members

They might not have anyone on it next year. Its 50/50 whether its going to return. Its well and truly up in the air. It'd be a crying shame if they dont do a second season, but I have no idea what they can do to make money on it.

Its by far the best wrestling on telly. The NXT specials kill Lucha Underground for actual wrestling, but NXT doesnt compare in terms of a weekly show. There's a load of red flags that say there's going to be no second series after this, which would be massively disappointing news.

• Paid Members

They might not have anyone on it next year. Its 50/50 whether its going to return. Its well and truly up in the air. It'd be a crying shame if they dont do a second season, but I have no idea what they can do to make money on it.

Its by far the best wrestling on telly. The NXT specials kill Lucha Underground for actual wrestling, but NXT doesnt compare in terms of a weekly show. There's a load of red flags that say there's going to be no second series after this, which would be massively disappointing news.

Even though the ratings aren't great it's still one of the highest rated shows on El Rey I believe. Also El Rey isn't yet available in most US homes as far as I'm aware. But like you say it could go either way.

Really in an ideal world this would have taken TNA's slot on Spike.

• Paid Members

They've paid $15.6 million in production costs for the first season of Lucha Underground. And the viewership on El Rey did like 70,000 last week or something. The red flags are that they've put off the time they originally set to shoot the second season and they've cancelled any plans for house shows. And running house shows and merchandising the shit out of the wrestlers was the whole plan on how to actually regain some funds. It all comes down to if El Rey are willing to lose loads of money doing a second season of a show they could get the same viewership for if they put Enter the Dragon on in its timeslot. Its weird, because Lucha Underground is a hit. But its a hit with a Spanish speaking audience who watch it on another channel and its a hit with the likes of us who watch it online. Few watch it on El Rey.

Its such a fucking good show as well. Its like revamped a lot of peoples interests in wrestling because its so different from WWE, Impact and ROH. The people who watch it get that 1996 thrill when you discovered all these new wrestlers and new faces. If this gets cancelled, it just fucking shite. I'd be gutted. Its the only show I watch weekly anymore.

I watched the first episode way back when, then kinda got distracted and missed the next couple of episodes and never bothered to pick it back up again despite hearing so many great things. Thought I'd watch this weeks episode to finally see what the hype was, and fucking hell what a show I've been missing! I'm now gonna spend the next month or so going back and watching every episode in full. Bloody brilliant stuff! That dive this week was proper mental, not yelled 'HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!' that loud at a high spot in a good couple of years! Must've rewatched it about 8 times before I actually got round to watching the rest of the match.

Archived