The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

• Paid Members

The full match. The incident is from 6:15 onwards:

Man, that's even more scary in a way. It's hard to see properly with the wobbly camera but it just looks like a bog standard dropkick which you see wrestlers do thousands of times. Must've just landed awkwardly on the rope and jarred his neck badly. Seems to be a total freak accident that probably wouldn't happen again if they did that spot 500 times. Poor bloke. Poor Rey as well. He's going to be haunted by this.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did they not intervene? Did they just think he was knocked out?

The bit where Konnan tries shoving him looks like he thinks Perro is knocked out and he's trying to wake him up. I guess when the guy isn't conscious to say somethings happened and what has happened and when its a completely freak accident occurring with such a common place spot it makes reacting to it more difficult.

• Paid Members

What a horrible tragedy that is. Looks so innocuous, I assume that everybody in and around the ring just thought he'd been knocked out, which would explain the concern shown but also the lack of urgency. What an awful thing for those guys to have to live with.

• Paid Members

Problem with wrestling is that it depends on people acting Injuried really well, which is probrably why it took so long to realise something was up. Real tragedy.

Awful tragedy. Total freak accident and nobody is to blame. Feel sorry for all involved, very easy in hindsight to say why didnt somebody do something quicker but as Thunderplex points out wrestling is all about pretending to be hurt. 

RIP Perro

• Moderators

Why did they not intervene? Did they just think he was knocked out?

The bit where Konnan tries shoving him looks like he thinks Perro is knocked out and he's trying to wake him up. I guess when the guy isn't conscious to say somethings happened and what has happened and when its a completely freak accident occurring with such a common place spot it makes reacting to it more difficult.

Yeah. I was thinking, if he wasn't dead already then he being shaken about would have snapped it for sure. 

It looks like the double boot in the corner just before actually hit harder then the set up for the 619. I can imagine it was hard to tell initially that something was wrong as he fell perfectly across the middle rope, and the only time a wrestler falls across the middle rope in general is when Mysterio is setting up for his finisher ........ as others have said, a completely freak accident and a very tragic outcome. It's the kind of thing that we as wrestling fans all know can happen but pray never does.

According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the promotion is working on a major show that will be booked as “their version of WrestleMania” which will be called Ultimo Lucha. There are few details at this point, but I was told by one source they are still discussing all options, and that while actual pay-per-view isn’t happening at this point, it may end up being a two-hour or even three-hour show on El Rey.

Ultimo Lucha will take place at some point in early August.

Archived