The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

Someone like Puma or Cuerno who speak English and work an American style would be great.

Both Ricochet and Hijo del Fantasma have had WWE try-outs in the past, and didn't get signed. That said, I can see WWE having more interest in them now after their showing on Lucha Underground. That is, if WWE are paying attention to the show.

Cheers for that. I knew about Ricochet. I mentioned after Episode 1 that it's crazy WWE didn't take him. Didn't know Cuero had a try-out. With his experience, grasp of Enlgish and physique I'd have thought he'd be right up their street.

Fantasma's try-out happened while he was still with CMLL and him doing the WWE try-out put him in the CMLL doghouse big time, which is what eventually lead to him jumping ship to AAA last year. It all worked out great for him though. He became more motivated in AAA, got in better shape, currently holds the AAA Cruiserweight title, seems to be one of AAA's top young prospects and now has the Lucha Underground thing going for him as well.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I watched the same AAA show and it was my first taste of AAA and Mexican Wrestling apart from he odd CMLL show on TWC. I was inspired to watch it by Lucha Underground. 

Surprised to see Judas Messias as a face but he impressed me more in the tag match main even than he ever did in TNA.

First time seeing Texano Jr too, I'll be honest, even though he's the main champion I had never heard of him before but I like the look of him, looks the same build as Alberto Del Rio (now known as El Patron Alberto). I'm already looking forward to what appears to be the main event of their next big show. AAA Heavyweight Championship Texano Jnr © vs El Patron Alberto.

For anyone else wanting to watch AAA's latest show here is the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2VC1rRbjOg&list=UUMA4MOXJ3L5K9jKEDyFX6LQ

Quick rundown (no spoilers)

-First match features some female luchas and some mini luchas. Not quite show what was going on and it didn't hold my interest that much

-Next match was a 6 way (I think I counted 6) and it was very enjoyable. Lots of action. Jack Evans was in the match, I've always liked him despite the hate he gets on here.

-Third match was the Psycho Clowns against 3 other guys. Hard to work out who the babyfaces were but Linus above says it was the Psycho Clowns. Didn't enjoy it much. Seemed all over the place.

-Main event was El Messias and El Patron Alberto vs the Champion Texano Jnr and a guy called Hijo del perro Aguayo. I liked all 4 luchas. I would guess these guys are usual main eventers, all 4 impressed.

First taste of AAA was good, definitely going to look out for the next show when it comes online. Thanks to pgi86 for answering my newbie lucha questions.

I echo some one else's thoughts in this thread. Lucha Underground deserves a separate thread.

I'll try and write a few notes on here of every AAA show I watch. Please forgive me if I spell the names of the luchadors wrong. Or even if I spell the word luchador wrong. I am a complete novice to AAA so it might read as ramblings of a clueless guy.

• Paid Members

The one I watched was from a few weeks ago but I'll get round to this one eventually if my life continues on its path to suburbgatory.

Really interested to read your reviews, an outsiders view on lucha is always fun.

-Main event was El Messias and El Patron Alberto vs the Champion Texano Jnr and a guy called Hijo del perro Aguayo. I liked all 4 luchas. I would guess these guys are usual main eventers, all 4 impressed.

You've guessed correctly. Throw in Myzteziz and Cibernetico and that's your top 6 AAA stars right there. La Parka (not the WCW guy, different guy) is another one who's pretty popular, though physically he's quite broken down so he doesn't get pushed as much in the main events.

One quick note to give you some extra background. While Texano may be the champion and has been the champion for over 700 days (which is not THAT big of a deal since titles in Mexico don't mean as much as they do elsewhere), Hijo del Perro Aguayo is the top heel, even though he gets cheered a lot. He used to be a legit megastar during CMLL's last boom period, with only Mistico (Myzteziz now) being a bigger star than him. While he's not as popular as he used to be he's still probably the second most over AAA star right now, behind Alberto el Patron. Myzteziz would be a very close third.

Anyway, really enjoyed reading your thoughts. Looking forward to hearing more.

Add me to the Lucha Underground fan list. Fantastic set up and it's all neatly done, sensible storyl ines great matches and generally awesome. Cant wait for the next show and it's not often I say that about wrestling these days!

Add me to the Lucha Underground fan list. Fantastic set up and it's all neatly done, sensible storyl ines great matches and generally awesome. Cant wait for the next show and it's not often I say that about wrestling these days!

They need a big name or two on their books to get some notoriety. If you believe what you read, Mysterio and Del Rio are headed there eventually. 

How has Mistico been getting on since he returned? Sounds like he's taken a step back?

He's been doing good. Maybe not great, but certainly good. He was positioned as the face of the company, but then Del Rio came in and Mistico took a step backwards. Still, he's the number two babyface, he's very over and performs well in the ring too so it's all good.

• Paid Members

Annoyingly had to wait all day for it to appear this week!

Nice street fight between Puma and Big Zeke. Zeke is pretty shit but his plodding offence fit the situation and Puma sold like a motherfucker for him. Great sympathetic babyface selling. Obvious that Puma isn't a real Lucha. Mundo's leap from the hut thing into the ring was ace and they added a dimension to the Mundo-Puma relationship with the finish.

Opener between Drago and Muertes was as good as Muertes has looked so far. Pentagon Jr. is a fucking shitarse. His standing around holding a chair waiting for Fenix to kick it in his face was hilarious.

Catrina suggesting Dario has a dark secret was proper TV drama stuff. Which one of them is his long lost son?

Archived