The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

• Paid Members

It'll probably be like the article they did on Japanese wrestling in the early 2000s. Where 90% of the article is dedicated to how shit WWE is compared to it. "Ever saw John Cena do the moves of Aerostar?", "You think CM Punk can cut a promo? You haven't seen Lizmark work the mic then" etc.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very skinny. The immediate plus is that it might lead to him being able to afford a meal once in a while. Other than that he mainly just busts out flashy moves every now and then. I'm pretty sure they could have put anyone in the role and it'd still flop but we'll see. They made the announcement just as he got eliminated from a tournament, mainly because he didn't get enough fan votes which doesn't suggest he's setting Mexico alight. He's not great, or ready for a top push yet but the top rudos might be able to cover that for long enough while he busts out the odd some spectacular dives.

This is mainly for Ian but word has it the TripleMania main event just got a whole lot less interesting. If the news reports are right than neither Angle nor Jarrett are making an appearance. Instead we're looking at a four way for the title, Perro, LA Park, El Mesias and Cibernetico. I can't see that being a drawing match really. Jarrett vs. Park is the one they were building up for it, so I assume they found out Jarrett couldn't do it and that's where Angle came into the mix and then Angle wanted stupid money again. I'm somewhat surprised that they're thinking of adding Cibernetico to the match, he's a big name but he has also spent most of the past year in the middle of the card. I do wonder whether they could bring Sting back and replace Cibernetico with him. He wrestled in AAA last year against El Mesias and after the match turned on TNA and showed respect towards Mesias so there's some history there and they're obviously not opposed to paying however much he's asking for. Sting against Perros del Mal could be fun and who wouldn't want to see Park and Sting square off? Hopefully this all leads to AAA telling TNA to fuck off but I doubt it.

Fuck. Park vs Angle was a proper dream match for me as well.

It would have been great, I'd have preferred to have seen Jarrett vs. Park (because of the build up) but there's no doubting the Angle vs. Park match would have been great fun to watch.

Its a shame as I would really like to follow AAA but I find it impossible without knowing what storylines are on and having to judge who the rudos and technos are based on just crowd noise.

I think once you get used to who the wrestlers are it will become altogether more obvious. I started loosely following Dragon Gate in the build ups to the shows they did over here, and my technique was to just look at the card, work out who was who until I recognised everyone, and became familiar with

A while back (I think about 2009) a fan was doing English commentary over the top of the shows to explain what was going on. I haven't really watched all of them but what I did see wasn't great. But I think that's because he was more doing a tutorial on what was going on than following the action. Or at least trying too. With AAA you'd want a two man team anyway I suppose, and they'd have to be willing to crack jokes at the product while calling it.

Its a shame as I would really like to follow AAA but I find it impossible without knowing what storylines are on and having to judge who the rudos and technos are based on just crowd noise.

That's not much good in Mexico because there's rudo fans too. Perros are now (I suppose by default if TNA have fucked off) the main rudos in AAA and they get cheered. LA Park was getting cheered to kingdom come when he was a rudo. In CMLL all you've really got left (at Arena Mex shows anyway) are rudo fans.

I suppose it might be a tad more difficult getting started with Mexican stuff with all of the multi man tag bouts and a lot of people wearing masks.

The masks help I think. All them blasted Mexicans look the same otherwise. In all honesty I think the masks make it easier to tell who's who because most of them are pretty varied.

The technico / rudos thing should become obvious pretty quickly too, just by the kind of moves and mannerisms exhibited by the various wrestlers.

Probably true for CMLL, not sure it works with AAA so well. The technicos will use the same tactics as the rudos.

The real problem with AAA is that they have quite a chunk of storyline to get your head around and chances are you're going to see different people each week. I think that throws people. LA Park's the top star but he rarely appears on the shows. Your best bit is to check out the luchablog where thecubsfan will put up all the cards and results of AAA, CMLL, IWRG and whatever else. The names in green are the technicos and the names in red are the rudos. He also puts the technicos first and the rudos last. That'll soon give you an idea of who's on what side. And because he posts the taping results he's ahead of what's on the shows which helps for the first few weeks because you know what's happening before you watch. To a certain extent the plus with the rudo/technico divide is that you're not completely expected to get behind the good guys as you would elsewhere. I know that sounds silly but you the product is tailored, to some extent, for you to route for whoever the hell you want, which I think kinda helps. Like if rudo Perro decided to take the sword he won for the King of Kings tournament and decapitate the technico Jack Evans I'd be behind him all the way. But really you do have to make the effort with it, there's no other way of getting into it really, and at times (especially with AAA) you just have to embrace the moments where you don't know what the fuck is going on. I'd imagine quite a lot of Spanish speakers don't know what's going on half the time.

With TNA now pulling Abyss from a AAA TV taping it dawned on me that the man who AAA should be trying to get as a replacement for Jarrett and Angle and as the top TNA representative is Bully Way. All he'd need is a series of promos added to the shows, maybe one live appearance and I think you could get fans chomping at the bit to see him against LA Park. It still wouldn't be a big match for TripleMania but it'd probably be a heck of a lot of fun.

Archived