The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

Yeah, Warrior is back after his brief hiatus and is the best way of following lucha at the moment. He puts everything up anyway. More than you'd probably be able to watch in a week. There's a lucha 80's playlist on YouTube which I'm yet to really watch but looks like it might be promising. Its also worth mentioning that luchawiki.com has a 'Top Lucha Matches of All Time' which some people might like to look at before searching for matches. I haven't really checked out the list myself, although I'm guessing the inclusion of the WWC main event as a five star match is probably a controversial choice.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Figured this was probably more relevant in here than the youtube one....

A recent CMLL match from Arena Mex,

for the CMLL World Welterweight Championship.

This one's receiving a lot of praise among lucha fans, being considered MOTYC and so on. I'm nowhere near as high on it, but I do find it interesting as it's a near-perfect example of a match which embodies both the good and bad about modern day CMLL style; Polished, spectacular, and dramatic towards the end, but awfully highspot intensive, and lacking in the general build/structure, 'feel' and charm of lucha libre as I know it. It's pretty flawed, but it's still hard to not be impressed and somewhat entertained by the slickness of it all.

I think that ultimately, if this is the pinnacle of lucha libre nowadays, then the modern day stuff definitely ain

Has anyone ever been to Mexico to see lucha live?

Surely these days the question is "Has anyone ever been to Mexico to see lucha and lived?"

From what i've heard most of the trouble in mexico is away from mexico City in places like Juarez, so going to see CMLL at Arena Mexico or Coliseo is fairly safe.

Garza and Texano have both left CMLL and joined Perros Del Mal with one more to come with Terrible or Mr Aguila looking favourites.

LA Park, Texano & and the next guy to jump vs PerroJr, Hector Garza & Damian 666 is the main event of Perros anniversary show. I'm hoping this leads to Perros invading CMLL.

Cubs Fan's write up

• 6 months later...

As I said to Richie earlier, time to bump this baby back up. In what we'll call Good Lucha Watch there's a hell of an entertaining main event to the AAA TV show from 10.06.2012 featuring LA Park, Dr Wagner Jr, El Hijo Del Perro Aguayo, Cibernetico and Chessman battling it out in a 5 way elimination match for the AAA Latin American championship. Perhaps what's most surprising is the amount of actual wrestling we get in it, something you don't always see a lot of in AAA main events, and LA Park's still got it. There's bums on show and run ins and it's just all aroudn fun. Probably my favourite AAA match of the year actually. I'd have put it in the Match of the Year thread but there's a pretty mental bookign decision towards the end (which I won't spoil) which sucks pretty much all the atmosphere out of the match. Still worth checking out.

Surely these days the question is "Has anyone ever been to Mexico to see lucha and lived?"

Update: Went to Mexico City in May, went to Arena Mexico three times and I am still alive!

Update: Went to Mexico City in May, went to Arena Mexico three times and I am still alive!

Excelent stuff man, it's something I always wanted to do. I'm not into current lucha as much as I once was though, so doubt it'll ever happen.

Not sure if that post further up the page was particularly good advice all the same, particularly with Arena Coliseo, which is supposed to be in a right dodgy area.

Did you do a diary or ever post thoughts on the trip or anything like that?

And is the tecnico section polar bear still there? :D

Excelent stuff man, it's something I always wanted to do. I'm not into current lucha as much as I once was though, so doubt it'll ever happen.

Not sure if that post further up the page was particularly good advice all the same, particularly with Arena Coliseo, which is supposed to be in a right dodgy area.

Did you do a diary or ever post thoughts on the trip or anything like that?

And is the tecnico section polar bear still there? :D

Didn't see the polar bear but the tecnico band was in full effect...

I went w/ Oliver Hurley who is writing a piece on the trip in the next issue of Power Slam *plug*

We didn't actually see a card at Arena Coliseo - they switched the card to Arena Mexico as they had a title match scheduled. But we did go to Coliseo in the daytime but it is near Garibaldi Square which can be dodgy at night.

• Moderators

Powerslam are going to cover Lucha? Well, fuck me. Fin Martin might actually watch some of it, seeing as he doesn't seem to watch any other wrestling, and might even enjoy it.

He won't though. He'll complain that Black Terry and Villano III are too old.

Archived