The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

Last few years Triplemania has been shat on hasn't it. Actually looks like it should have at least 1 good match with the Ladder match, all 3 guys wrestling in GFW. The mask vs mask seems interesting purely because of the stipulation. Also got Rosemary, Lashley, Moose, Jarrett and another GFW tag team taking part.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ultima Lucha Tres starts next week & is spread over 4 weeks, including a 2 hour final episode if it follows the previous years. Just a quick question, Ivelisse challenged Katrina to a match at Ultima Lucha on the first episode of season 3, could just be my memory but is there a storyline reason she hasn't been about on recent episodes or did she get injured?,

In maybe my favorite piece of wrestling related news I've ever read, CAGE and Melissa Santos are having a baby. Delightful!

On the flip side, unless they are going to do a really weird impregnation storyline involving Cage, Fenix or Marty she probably won't be on any potential season 4. She's WRESTLING next (this) week though.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I don't use Netflix so no idea buddy.

The first part of Ultimo Lucha Tres was mostly taken up by Killshot v Dante Fox and man it was brutal. It's not often I see bloody matches these days so this was tough to watch in parts. And I couldn't help but feel during it that they were doing far too much for a bout that was basically 2nd on a card of about 10 matches. I guess that's why they split it into 4 parts!

• Paid Members

LU has had loads of absolutely fucking crazy matches but Killshot/Dante was not only the craziest but the craziest by a wide margin.  That's how brutal and insane it was. A true awesome spectacle. One of the nuttiest matches ever.

Also props to Famous B for that ridiculous throw off the middle of the steps to the floor. What a show.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Mr.Showtime said:

Watching the last part of Lucha Tres now. *That* thing Jeremiah Crane does to Cage in the three-way is the single most disgusting thing I've watched in wrestling. Yuck yuck yuck. "You sick fuck" chants were spot on...

Yes. Absolutely, yes. 

The end of the show, though....Cliffhanger!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've watched the first two parts of Ultima Lucha Tres in the last couple of days.

As brutal as the Killshot vs Dante Fox match was, it's the Hair vs Mask match that I really loved. So much drama. Just right up my street, the best thing Marty the Moth has done in his entire LU run and a satisfying payoff for everything. 

Bring on the rest!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Recently listened to a podcast with the Lucha Underground executive producer who raised some interesting points:

- season 4 will have a reduced budget so they are doing less episodes. Approximately 20.

- they should air in April/May 2018.

- several wrestlers have asked for their releases which LU will happily negotiate.

- it's unlikely they will be able to afford big names like Rey Mysterio for s4.

- there may be a reduction in vignettes. Or at least on location vignettes. 

- they will now allow LU wrestlers on other TV shows like ROH and Impact. 

- Internet reports of the shows budget (800k a taping) are much higher than the reality. And as the show has gone on longer they've found methods of getting more production bang for their buck.

- LU is a TV show, not a wrestling promotion. MGM pay them a certain amount to produce a TV show and that's it. The typical methods of generating revenue in wrestling do not apply to LU.

- their boss at MGM loves the show and wants to keep making it. MGM make hundreds of shows each year and don't really even notice LU that much. LU has a high budget in comparison to your average wrestling promotion but in comparison to your average TV production is on the low end. 

An interesting listen and definitely eye opening in how LU is run.

I wonder how, and how much revenue the merchandise department generates, and where the money goes. Additionally would the TV studio have had anything to do with the few house shows they've done. You couldn't really say that those shows were much of an advert for the show because it didn't showcase the selling point which is the storylines/vignettes and the way they are done. I'm assuming the shows were budgeted by the advertisers who were involved. I seem to remember a mobile phone company being heavily involved and maybe one of the beer companies.

Nothing too revealing in that interview that I wouldn't have already assumed though. What I want to know is, when the show ends at some point, will they allow someone to purchase the rights and take it on so that it CAN be monetized traditionally?

Buy 'The Temple', Billy Corgan.

Archived