Thread Save: William Regal Appreciation Thread

tom

Could people please link to the themes they are talking about. I have no idea what order he used what music.

Thanks

(Obviously, don't need a link to the "Real Man's Man" music)

They are linked at the top of the last page (the one u posted on)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's not nearly enough love for his WCW run as Lord Steven. I still think his 28/5/94 WCW Saturday Night match against Larry Zbyszko is one of the best in the company. There's also a really great pure rough and rugged match with Windham from 17/4/93.

His series with Christian was awesome, great matches with Yoshi when he first came in and some super stiff awesome-ness with Goldust. At the start of this year he gave Harry Smith the best match I've seen him have on Superstars, it was a great example of veteran Regal.

My favourite thing at the minute though is how much he creams over Dean Ambrose in FCW. Love his commentary.

• Paid Members

There was big love for him in 1994/95. The initial Triple H hatred came from everyone saying Regal was doing the same (and his original) gimmick but 10 times better. I've always loved Regal. Even when he was a Real Man's Man, he raised a smile.

Anyone remember the period where he was hated by the internet? Even Power Slam would call him the "Bumbling Brit" and stuff like that. People were giving him shite about how he was Triple H's mate and thats the only reason he was still in work and stuff.

• Paid Members
I'll tell you where Regal was brilliant. Throughout his run with Eugene, it was largely a comedy role but when the Evolution angle was introduced he was amazing. He suddenly got pushed into being protective of Eugene and he switched to a more serious role absolutely effortlessly.

Yes.

Regal really changed it up in the ring following his return from injury in 2004, fantastic brutal matches against London and Kendrick in 2006, great feuds with Noble, Punk and Christian in 2008/09/10, and a fantastic run on Superstars last year brutalising various random people in different matches...

Oh yes. I loved his matches with London on Smackdown. Short, swift and brutal. Knee-tremblers~!

Regal is, for me far and away the most consistent comic performer WWE have ever had.

There was big love for him in 1994/95. The initial Triple H hatred came from everyone saying Regal was doing the same (and his original) gimmick but 10 times better. I've always loved Regal. Even when he was a Real Man's Man, he raised a smile.

Anyone remember the period where he was hated by the internet? Even Power Slam would call him the "Bumbling Brit" and stuff like that. People were giving him shite about how he was Triple H's mate and thats the only reason he was still in work and stuff.

I do sort of remember this. Think it was around WM 17-18 time and he had had a few bad matches with the likes of RVD ns Y2J. I've bough PS from issue 1 and SOW before that and anyone who is influenced by what Fin Martin says is fairy niave anyway. Regal does have an awkward style compared to alot of the wf/e brawlers and that style does not suit everyone. However, Regal on his day in the ring or on the mic is world class. On the mic he's in my top 5 of all time for a variety of reasons.

The thing that would make regal the best mic man in the business of all time is if he started mentioning prisonercell block h charachters in his cmmentary.

Is that you Jeff?

William Regal is my favourite wrestler, and when I first started watching wrestling in 2000 thanks to Heat on Channel 4, he was the first guy I really liked. I loved the comedy stuff in 2001 - the Dutchess of Queensbury, drinking the "besmirched tea" and Kamala in his office at WrestleMania. After his return from illness in 2004, he seemed to be a new man in terms of in-ring work too, and had some amazing matches with Benoit amongst others. I loved his run on ECW and his short-lived team with Dave Taylor as well.

Oh, and he just tweeted this - "Let's trend #ZachsdivvyshowgetsmorepeoplewatchitwhenRegalison"

• Paid Members

I've never been a big fan of his ring work. Even when I went through my "workrate wanker" phase, I still found him boring. I have the same dislike for Finlay. I like some of what he's done but only a small proportion. He really needs to be in with someone I really like for me to take an interest.

Outside the ring, he's absolutely brilliant. One of the best actors you'll ever see in wrestling. His delivery, timing and facial expressions are amazing. I watched the links Gladstone posted on Friday and thought the stuff with Eaton was absolute gold. That Hogan interview is one of the best ever skits too. Wouldn't make me want to watch them wrestle though.

Archived