Thread Save: William Regal Appreciation Thread

tom

• Paid Members
It's amazed me how Regal's managed to have one of the best and one of the worst entrance themes of the past 10 years.

One of the Best (And I hope he'd use it again now as he's kind of a face, well at least in nxt world, but I'm not sure if it counts)

And possibly one of the worst themes ever.

His 'Darth Vader' theme made up for the shite one though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvqoJi5mngM...feature=related

Loves it!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His time as goodwill ambassador was very much underrated too. There's some great stuff from that time, mostly involving promos, colour commentary, and particularly his mini-feud with Al Snow over the European title. His reaction when Al came out as Dracula with a pic of Eddie Munster was especially class. His patter was great, always getting in the british slang words and phrases.

I also loved all his 'power of the punch' phase which was a little more serious, and well, everybody loved Commissioner Regal. Offhand, I always remember him and Tajiri taking the piss out of Kanyons speech, but there were dozens of skits just as funny as that.

As somebody else mentioned, those 'disgusted' faces he pulled just cracked you up and could make a match. There was the Mideon one mentioned, but also with Rikishi's stinkface, the asskissing, and when he drank the piss.

Of course, his in-ring work has always been top notch, no matter what the gimmick. A lot of people used to criticise his style as being incompatible in the WWF/E, but i couldn't understand it; To me, all it did was add a bit of variety. He's one of the best wrestlers around, and probably the funniest character of the last decade or more.

• Paid Members
His time as goodwill ambassador was very much underrated too. There's some great stuff from that time, mostly involving promos, colour commentary, and particularly his mini-feud with Al Snow over the European title. His reaction when Al came out as Dracula with a pic of Eddie Munster was especially class. His patter was great, always getting in the british slang words and phrases.

A personal favourite of mine is when Al Snow comes out at Greece (or should that be Grease?!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1HXZoiAzbk

I loved the 'He's a maaaaaan' entrance theme. Loved singing along with it, and when I got the Anthology for Christmas back in '02, that was the first song I played. It was and still is absolutely hilarious. And the chequered flanel vest and generic woodsman get up was great too. Regal can do anything. He can be comedic, and I can imagine him being quite a laugh and someone fun to travel with, or he can be serious and evil. I remember when Burchill debuted, Regal was on commentary and he called Scotty 2 hotty a dancing poof. Then when Tazz asked what that was he said "he's a bloody mincer" I laughed for ages at that simple phrase. I love how he can use his old skool wrestling style in with the crazy American style and it looks great, but then again I love actual wrestling so I would I suppose. Either way I've always enhjoyed Regals matches. His match with X-pac at Survivr Series '98 I loved, although if X-pac walked out instead of carrying on like he was given the opportunity to, why didn't Regal advance in the tournament? I also loved his feud with Y2J. Brilliantly put together to create a great feud

• Moderators
Hey, what was wrong with his Britrock 5th tune?

It was two of my least favourite things there is in an entrance theme. It was generic as you like, and it really didn't suit him at all. It's the kind of thing I can imagine Jim Powers running out to waving at everyone.

Well your ears are broken. I'd mock you but it's not very PC.

A good theme should tell you something about the character. That theme doesn't. Italsosounds awful in arenas or on tv

What? It screams 'Classy baddy', plus it stands out from most of rubbish the punt out.

No chance, it sounds like dirge. He's not had any better than when he was goodwill ambasador

Archived