Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

Mariners also sent cash with Ichiro to New York. The Seattle press are viewing it as a good deal. He's not what he was, it saves the humiliation of him not getting a new contract and takes away the temptation of re-signing him. It's also a massive salary dump, which is what a team that are 16 games back and looking to next season were bound to do.

• 7 months later...

Anyone keeping tabs on Spring training results? I'm quietly confident that my team (Blue Jays) can make a run for the post-season this year. We've put together a hell of a roster in my opinion, and although that brings more pressure it should make things exciting this season.

• Paid Members

I never knew this thread existed. Great!

I'm looking to get into Baseball but my knowledge of the game is made up of Norm Macdonald and Artie Lange stories about the incomparable Bob Uecker. Any podcasts/journalists/blogs etc you can recommend to help me a long?

I never knew this thread existed. Great!

I'm looking to get into Baseball but my knowledge of the game is made up of Norm Macdonald and Artie Lange stories about the incomparable Bob Uecker. Any podcasts/journalists/blogs etc you can recommend to help me a long?

As far as podcasts go, you have the usual daily/weekly radio shows on the likes of ESPN, and you'll more than likely find shows that are specific to certain teams. What team do you follow? Or are you just going to follow the league in general?

Again, my knowledge isn't great, so right now I'm just looking to follow the league and learn the game a bit, then I'll pick a team when something clicks.

My advice then would be to have a look at MLB.com and check out some videos and articles to get yourself up to speed, browse through the podcasts on iTunes and pick something from a reputable source like ESPN, and either sort yourself out with MLB.tv through your Xbox/Playstation, or watch games on ESPN.

You can check out some of the basics of the rules if you're not all that clued up here, plus I'm sure regulars in this thread will answer any questions you have.

Ta. Any other recommendations are much appreciated.

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I'd highly recommend joining a fantasy baseball league of some sort. I can't tell you how much it helped me learn about the game in my first year as a fan. I was lucky in that I started in a league with friends who knew I was a complete newbie to the sport, but it gave me a feel for so many things that might otherwise have taken much longer. You learn about the numbers/stats aspect of the sport, you very quickly learn what players are good or bad, and - I believe at least - you develop a much broader knowledge of the game than you do if you just pick one team and follow them (it can be easy to get sucked into paying attention to only your team's division/league in that case).

Obviously you want to watch as much as you can, but playing fantasy is an amazing supplement. It really keeps you locked in while you're still learning.

This message board has a place where you can find leagues or you can join random public ones on sites like Yahoo!. If you explain your situation you might get lucky with a bunch of nice people who will help you out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The season starts Monday, and somewhat perplexingly even at only one game above .500 pre-season record the Cards are the #6 team in the country according to CBS. With former butt-monkeys the Nationals at #1.

I've done some betting for a change -

• Paid Members
Out of interest which stadiums are considered to have the best atmospheres? Are there any ballparks that get bouncing and raucous or is it all quite tame with cheering at the appropriate points only?

[partisan one-stadium opinion] Aside from the odd drunk it really doesn't get to a football-level frenzy unless it's the playoffs, but on good plays the crowd at Busch gets pretty lively. The stadium prompts for the fans are really off-putting but they do their job unless things are going bad. It's certainly far from tame though, and as the game flow does change a lot more than you'd think the feel changes with it.

Miami is considered to be the biggest graveyard in the Majors though.

Miami is considered to be the biggest graveyard in the Majors though.

The Rogers Center isn't far behind, simply due to the fact that it holds 50,000 fans and usually has the roof closed. Baseball isn't really the kind of sport that sees a lively crowd. Most games last around 3 hours, so you'll notice that the crowd tend to become active at key points in the game, such as a pitching duel or a home run.