Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

So after Tickmaster's usual shitfuckery, I've got ambulant disabled seats up in the nosebleeds for Saturday evening, and regular seats in fair territory for the Sunday.

I've tried to clarify if the ambulant seats are on the same level as disableds, apparently that's the case (I had to wait 15min on the phone to get through to the stadium directly). Has anyone here been to the Olympic that can verify this?

Was on the site at 10 and got nothing, kept trying during the day but the only tickets that appeared where the £200 above ones.

Now they say it's sold out for pre registered tickets and now need to try my luck in the general sale, no indication how many where set aside for pre registered sale and how many are left for general sale.

Real shambles today and then seeing the prices on trying he secondary market and the sheer amount of tickets on there is just disgraceful.

Hopefully I can get some some on Thursday or I'll just have to hope that the tout prices begin to drop the closer to the games we get.

5 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

Hopefully I can get some some on Thursday or I'll just have to hope that the tout prices begin to drop the closer to the games we get.

Hoping they do a TayTay/Ed Sheeran and cancel the touted tickets and resist them, but can't see that happening.

5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Hope you managed to, I got fuck all.  Within the hour they were on the secondary market as well.  IM FUMMIN BABES

No I had no luck

I was on at 10 once again and I actually had some £60 tickets appear after 10 mins or so, I pressed the submit button to take me to the payment page and got an error message and I was booted back out again.

When I retried again all I could get was the £130 tickets and I can't afford that this side of Christmas.

I'll just have to wait for any team returns to go on sell or as I said hope the secondary market prices drops closer to the games.

Really disapointed at the whole ticket process 

• Paid Members

Away from the wonderful world of Ticketmaster being useless, some interesting trades/signings over the past few weeks.

Corbin to the Nats was something I wasn't expecting, but fits perfectly with their strategy of packing the rotation. I still don't think it's necessarily the area they needed to spunk $150 million  dollars, but it'll certainly be cracking to watch a front three of Scherzer, Strasberg and Corbin, even if four is an increasingly dross Tanner Rourke.

Eovaldi back with the Red Sox. He's probably increased his value by $25 million based on post season and I'm still not entirely comfortable with a four year commitment to a guy whose arm seems liable to fall off every other day. Still, ensures we retain a formidable rotation for another year until Porcello/Sale hit free agency.

Yankees picking up Paxton is a good fit (especially with Grandpa CC signing for another year). Still isn't enough though and I would be shocked if they don't pick up another front line arm, whether that be Happ or another guy they can slot in 2/3 in the rotation. 

Also, the signing 93 year old Robinson Cano, irrespective of whether they are doing it to get Diaz, is the most Mets signing ever. 

Most interesting acquisition so far is Goldschmidt to the Cards. Seriously underrated player and probably one of the top 3 in the NL over the past few years. I think they overpaid considering the prospects package they put together to get him for one year, but wouldn't be shocked to see them reach the NLCS/World Series if they can get an arm or two.

Edited by Gus Mears

• 3 months later...

So, anyone been watching spring training? As usual, I've been watching the Blue Jays, and I expect a thoroughly shit year this year. The one small piece of silver lining for me is the upcoming emergence of the wonderfully named Vladimir Guerrero Jnr. I'm really hoping he can make an impact.

39 minutes ago, David said:

So, anyone been watching spring training? As usual, I've been watching the Blue Jays, and I expect a thoroughly shit year this year. The one small piece of silver lining for me is the upcoming emergence of the wonderfully named Vladimir Guerrero Jnr. I'm really hoping he can make an impact.

There was an excellent article on him in a Sports Illustrated a friend bought me back from the states last year, seems a wonderful prospect 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/05/24/vladimir-guerrero-jr-toronto-blue-jays

• Paid Members

If Spring Training is anything to go by the Cards will fall even further down the pecking order. Only 2 games under 500, but most of those losses were convincing and many were shutouts.

It was one thing to not get caught up in the Harper circus, it was another to categorically rule yourself out and show no interest in the one area the hottest teams were fighting over. Yadi is back from injury (surprise), Carp may start the year injured (surprise), Waino will be done after this year and so may Carp. Goldschmidt may be the one bright spot on offense and our downfall will probably be the bullpen running out of fuel again.

Mo should have left with Mattheny, that's the Shit Hill I'm Dying On for this sport.

Edited by seph

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested, MLB.TV is $59.99 (half price) for the remainder of the season if you buy it before the 21st.  White Sox were Shite Sox for the start of the season but are getting better as the season progresses.  Red Sox look like a different team this year.

• Paid Members

I struggle to see us winning the division this year. The Yankees have ridiculous depth and I see it being Red Sox vs Rays for a Wild Card berth.Still enjoying the season though. Chavis coming up has been wonderful to watch although the challenge is when pitchers figure him out and need to make adjustments. Rafael Devers has done just that and it's brilliant to see Franklin the Turtle showing real plate discipline for the first time.

Watched last night agains the Astros and it was monumentally frustrating. You're not going to have many better chances to beat the Astros with a legit ace on the mound in Cole and we left 1000000000000000000000000 people on base.

Watching a lot of NL East action this year as well, which on paper is the most competitive division going. Surprised by how poor the Nats have been so far. Losing Harper and replacing him with another gun pitcher probably wasn't the smartest when you already have Scherzer and Strasburg as a one two punch, but I still have hopes they turn it around.

• 4 weeks later...

White Sox hit .500! OK, they then lost to the Yankees last night to knock it back down, but they're doing so much better than I thought.

Also, my other half decided that she may never get another chance to see the Red Sox, so she went on Twickets and found two tickets behind the bullpen for the Sunday game that were selling at 22% below face value.  Once fees were added it made it up to face value.  Going to drive down from Manchester in the morning and back after the game, make a whole "Road trip to the ballgame" experience of it all.