Is the casual fan gone from wrestling?

IANdrewDiceClay

Why? Because wrestling has been around since forever, it didnt start in 1984 with a leg drop, just because its not huge mainstream wise anymore does not mean it will die as a form of entertainment, boxing is in much worser state imo than wrestling, yet its still going, Im not saying WWE wont be out of business in 30 years, they could be, but the sport of wrestling, It will still be there, even if its on a tiny scale.

The fact you have ROH and countless other things should tell you this, as I said the market is not huge, but its there. Wrestling might not even get shown on TV anymore in 30years, but I bet live shows of some kind will still be going.

I can understand the death of WWE would perhaps translate to many people/fans the death of wrestling, but its only one part, a huge part yes, I felt that way when WCW died, I knew I would never get that product again, as I said Im not really ever expecting something on the level of WWE or WCW again.

But it hasn't been around since forever, it's been about since the late 1800's/early 1900's and for the vast majority of that time it was present as a real sport. Current wrestling, with the net pulled aside has been around for 30 odd years. That's nowhere near forever.

Yes we have roh and czw and fwa and 100's of other little feds. But how did people come to them? They came through getting into wrestling via watching it on there telly, wwe and wcw. (And smaller territorys probably which I've missed).

Wrestling as it now is, post Kayfabe dying off, does not have a huge history, it's got a few decades, it has been dying down now for the last decade. And the less people watching wwe now, the less people to get into watching it with their kids, the less people want to get into it and train to be involved, and so on and so on.

And it's really a very silly idea, why watch two blokes pretend to fight when you can watch two blokes actually fight?

I'm not saying any of this could happen in the next few years, wwe is massive, and would take decades to die out. But if it did, with no territory system, no decent sized industry outside of wwe and tna, why would it not just die out?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh you are talking about current wrestling, kind of like current music, current theatre, current books, my mistake.

why watch two blokes pretend to fight when you can watch two blokes actually fight?

Probably the same reason you watch a movie or go to current theatre, because you want to be entertained, are you only entertained by reality?

Also its more than just two blokes fighting, its about the characters, even in real life, in UFC they build each person up, so Im either going to cheer for Lesnar or hate him or cheer for the guy he is fighting.

That is why wrestling really sucks right now because their is no way near the same amount of interesting characters they had in the past.

no decent sized industry outside of wwe and tna, why would it not just die out?

So the size is small, like I keep saying, that doesnt mean it would die off, even shitarse UK companies can draw small crowds and families, theirs a market there, I cant imagine NJPW or the feds down in mexico shutting down just because WWE goes out of business, it would take something catastrophic for the world to turn its back on wrestling completely, I dunno something like the apocalypse maybe.

I can see this will go around in circles, we will just have to agree that we disagree and leave it at that.

Yeah but how could it be sustainable at that level? If there's nothing to drive the urge to train and everything else, how sustainable could it really be over here and in yank land?

Mexico and japan is different though to be fair, hadn't really factored that in properly.

Archived