Money in the Bank buyrate in

iamtheman

WWE MONEY IN THE BANK BUYRATE UP BIGTIME THANKS TO CM PUNK VS. JOHN CENA

by Mike Johnson @ 6:25 PM on 8/25/2011

The 2011 WWE Money in the Bank PPV garnered over 265,000 worldwide buys, according to WWE's latest performance indicators released to stockholders.

This buyrate would be up over 100,000 buys from the debut Money in the Bank PPV, which drew 165,00 buys worldwide.

That pretty much tells the tale that the CM Punk angle leading into the PPV and his challenge of John Cena certainly turned heads and made people part with their money. This buyrate was the company's best of the year outside of Wrestlemania and the Royal Rumble.

how much more would this be if we had to buy it as well?

still a good sign though

• Paid Members

Dave Meltzer's report on it:

If you read the web site, the buys for Money in the Bank were 185,000 and domestic were 132,000.

The 276,000 number includes about 70,000 buys because they estimated low on Mania. Mania actually did considerably better than they thought as of a few weeks ago.

If you go to the web site and look at buys from the quarter not including late buys from the previous quarter, the numbers for both worldwide and domestic are right there.

Let me know when the corrections are made from the people reporting that didn't know how to read the tables after how many years.

The number was actually up 13%, less than the 20% Vince and the company expected.

Last year's show also didn't air in the U.K. on PPV but there was a strong domestic increase as well as an overseas decrease.

So the number was a little down from Vince's estimate a few weeks ago.

Good or bad depends on your point of view. It was good in that it's better than any B show is going to do the reset of the year, but slightly less than Elimination Chamber (worldwide less than Extreme Rules but that's not fair because Extreme Rules includes U.K.). For those who thought it was going to do this huge B show number like One Night Stand because of all the Internet talk, well, then not so good. Compared to company projections, then a little low.

• Moderators
That Slammiversary PPV drew 7,500 fans. Which is a talent in itself, if you think about it. There's no excuse to be drawing 7,500 with the talent they have. It'll all change at Bound For Glory, though. I predict the Sting vs Hogan match will gain at least 600,000 buys.

Well, sexy Eric said the changing of the Monday Nitro set to include that Foxes head masquerading as a WCW Logo in April '99 would draw an 8 rating. So I've got faith in him.

• Paid Members

You guys are mongs. The key to the 8 rating was the WCW Nitro Grill. As we all know 95% of wrestling fans are onanistic fat cunts, so having an advert every 10 minutes with Kimberley Page eating a Hulkburger with her lovelys out was a sure winner.

• Paid Members

I'd say the Summerslam buyrate will be a good indicator of the angle's performance following the critical success of the first match and mixed reaction to following developments...

Will it though? Summer Slam is the 2nd biggest PPV of the year, by all accounts its number should be high anyway.

Going by RAW's rating which was a 2.97 it seems like things are going cold.

Maybe the old timers are right about CM Punk.

Well, yeah, Summerslam normally does better than average, but you can still compare it to last year (and the years before that) to see if there is improvement.

TV ratings won't turn around in a matter of weeks. WWF had to put out a consistently great product for months (from mid 1997 into 1998) before the ratings started to climb and they took over from WCW again.

PPV is a better way to tell really, as it shows how impressed your regular fans are (if more of them than normal pay to see the PPVs). That will lead to more people hearing about the "great product WWE are putting on" and general viewership hopefully rising.

• Moderators

I'll be nice to Raw and point out that The Bears played The Giants on Monday night. That's the #3 and #1 markets according to something DA MELTZ said the other day. It's only gonna get worse though I reckon. More and more people have been watching Monday Night Football over the last couple of years, and to be honest I don't think Punk's big enough to stem that flow. I don't think anyone is. I reckon it might even be down to a 2.5 by Christmas. Nothing to do with the quality of the shows either.

• Paid Members

Its different in 2011. WCW had the momentum in 1997, so WWF had to regain the trust in its audience to take them away from Nitro. WWE has an audience that they usually get with big angles. I'm not talking about a 4.0 or anything like that, but if they put the machine behind an angle in this era, they expect a certain increase. Like when Bret Hart came back, the ratings did well for his first two appearances and they they'd seen enough. Or the Nexus angle, before the people got fed up of it. But the ratings have actually dwindled. You have to be disappointed with how the numbers have came out compared to the quality they are putting out. Its fucking worrying actually. With all the TV time they've invested in the angle. You'd think they'd have brought some of those fans back. The Rock did, so it proves people will watch if enough buzz is put out. The football season has started now. Some are predicting WWE could be in for their worst viewership on Monday Nights in years and years.

EDIT: Butch got in there before me :(. I agree with him though. I wouldnt be surprised if WWE really starts throwing shit against the wall to see if they can at least level out their ratings to stop them dropping lower than they expect now their are some big games coming up.

Archived