The Other Sports Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Thought we needed one of these. More than anything it will be interesting to see what diverse tastes people might have round here for some sports that don't often get discussed, if at all.

I have to say I've become a huge beach soccer fan after seeing lots of it on bet365, and I think they need to be seriously considering adding it to the Olympics, at least as an exhibition sport, and dumping football altogether as it really does not need to be in the Olympics at all.

Also, Usain Bolt will definitely piss the 100m in the World Championships next month now that Asafa Powell has pulled out as well as Tyson Gay.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/14662426.stm

• Moderators

I'd like to see Futsal in the olympics. Anything but the Football they have now. I'm a fan of beach sports in general. I used to love watching the French Beach Soccer team on Eurosport (Cantona and Papin? Fucking right!) and I really used to enjoy the XXXX Beach Cricket masters thing. And Beach Volleyball is wonderful, of course.

• Paid Members
And Beach Volleyball is wonderful, of course.

yes it is

beach-volley19.jpg

when the Olympics is on I always tune in for all the throwing events too. Discus, javelin, shotput the lot. There's something really entertaining for me about watching a 20 stone woman with 24 inch pythons and no neck launching shit into the air.

• Paid Members

^ Always loved the javelin since I was a kid. It's a shame there is so little athletics on terrestrial TV these days, I used to love the shared coverage ITV and Channel 4 used to do on a Friday night.

I'd like to see Futsal in the olympics. Anything but the Football they have now. I'm a fan of beach sports in general. I used to love watching the French Beach Soccer team on Eurosport (Cantona and Papin? Fucking right!) and I really used to enjoy the XXXX Beach Cricket masters thing. And Beach Volleyball is wonderful, of course.

I haven't seen as much futsal but it's apparently becoming huge in South America. It's the kind of sport they should be encouraging in the Olympics, really.

• Moderators

I honestly don't know anyone that enjoys sport and doesn't like the Javelin. I was well into it as a child with Steve Backley being real World Class, and Mick Hill probably being top 5 as well. It's like in the early 1990's when in Colin Jackson and Tony Jarrett we had the World's top 2 110m hurdlers.

To be honest, I'm not nearly as much into Athletics as I was in the 90's though. I don't know if it's a case of being obsessed with any and every sport as a Child (even watching Basketball, and you'd never catch me doing that now) or what, but I went from knowing who Steve Smith and Kate Staples were to not even being to name more than one British 100m sprinter these days, which is amazing as I can still reel off our strongest 4x400m relay team from the mid-late 90s. Whereas now I wouldn't know my Ato Boldon from my Pato Banton.

• Paid Members
I honestly don't know anyone that enjoys sport and doesn't like the Javelin. I was well into it as a child with Steve Backley being real World Class, and Mick Hill probably being top 5 as well. It's like in the early 1990's when in Colin Jackson and Tony Jarrett we had the World's top 2 110m hurdlers.

To be honest, I'm not nearly as much into Athletics as I was in the 90's though. I don't know if it's a case of being obsessed with any and every sport as a Child (even watching Basketball, and you'd never catch me doing that now) or what, but I went from knowing who Steve Smith and Kate Staples were to not even being to name more than one British 100m sprinter these days, which is amazing as I can still reel off our strongest 4x400m relay team from the mid-late 90s. Whereas now I wouldn't know my Ato Boldon from my Pato Banton.

I think it's because athletics isn't nearly as visible as it used to be. I know they show a lot on Sky and Eurosport these days, but I never know when it's on whereas when I was a younger it would always be on on a Friday evening. It was a real tradition.

I bet you remember the Fastest Sock In Europe, Brian Whittle, don't you Butch?

• Paid Members

Nice. Any fans of extreme sports such as skateboarding (Street or Vert), BMX or Inline? I tend to watch whatever is being shown ESPN. They usually have the X-Games and Dew Cup Tour on there.

We could do with a thread like this. Well done.

A little bit, but not as much as I remember a Roger Black (who seemed ancient) or a Jamie Baulch.

I always used to dread Baulch in the relay; had no idea how to judge a race and would inevitably always set off far to fast and falter in the latter stages. Can't believe that someone else on here remembers the shoeless wonder Brian Whittle! Whilst we're on about the 4x400m relay, the 91 Worlds is a fantastic race with Black, Redmond, Regis and Akabusi leading the charge for GB. Regis was bought into the team and ran a great leg, before Akabusi just shadowed World Champion Antonio Pettigrew before overtaking and outkicking him in the final 100 metres.

Kate Staples went on to have a brief stint as Zodiac in Gladiators, and I always liked the Welsh lass Catherine Murphy, although she was primarily a relay runner. Perry Shakes-Drayton is one of the up and coming Brits to keep your eyes on, and I am guessing that our best chance of a non-relay Gold at the Worlds will be with David Greene in the 400 hurdles.

• Paid Members
I honestly don't know anyone that enjoys sport and doesn't like the Javelin. I was well into it as a child with Steve Backley being real World Class, and Mick Hill probably being top 5 as well.

Was all about Jan Zelezny for me. Not that i wasnt a patriot, but that motherfucker could THROW.

• Paid Members

You'll be wanting to watch Celeb Come Dine With Me next week, featuring Fatima Whitbread, Dalton Grant, Zola Budd and Kriss Akabussi. Not a joke.

Olympic Kabaddi would be good.

There's a "Street Cricket" being pushed in Bristol now, though it's actually done in a sports hall. Normal rules but it's six a side and 20 balls an innings. You get fours and sixes by hitting the far wall. Hitting the side or back walls gets you a bonus run on top of whatever you actually run.

• Paid Members
There's a "Street Cricket" being pushed in Bristol now, though it's actually done in a sports hall. Normal rules but it's six a side and 20 balls an innings. You get fours and sixes by hitting the far wall. Hitting the side or back walls gets you a bonus run on top of whatever you actually run.

They've pinched that idea from me and my next door neighbours when we used to play cricket in the back garden. You're out caught off the wall with one hand as well. Or if you hit it into that bloke's garden who has the rottweiler.

• Moderators

Olympic Kabaddi would make my day. Although while on the theme of Old Channel 4 Saturday Morning Sports They Should Have In The Olympics, I have no desire to see Real Tennis with Prince Edward make a return.

They've pinched that idea from me and my next door neighbours when we used to play cricket in the back garden. You're out caught off the wall with one hand as well. Or if you hit it into that bloke's garden who has the rottweiler.

Do they reckon they use the "We've lost the ball, come and help us look for it" foolproof run-out strategy?

I used to like watching Hand Ball in the early mid 1990's when it was on Eurosport all the time. Not sure why it never caught on over here as is fast paced and a bloody great spectacle

As for not knowing Athletics peeps. I miss the Golden League meetings being shown on Itv were cracking viewing

Archived