Chair shots to the head

Seratonin

I recall the incredible tag-team match between The Hardys and The Dudleyz in WWE at Royal Rumble 2000. This match to me means a lot as it was at a time I started to get into ECW and really get back into wrestling again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlGA59dCBaw

I also remembered it for the ridiculous chair shots to the head, between two tag teams, a first in WWF history at the time - tag teams were not known to take such punishment. In one way these two teams took more punishment then the main eventers.

With the death of JC Bailey due to aneurysm, and chair shots to the head considered a no-no in 2011, will the chair-shot to the head ever be used again in WWE, and will it ever reach "overload", where it's just another thing we see in a match?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recall the incredible tag-team match between The Hardys and The Dudleyz in WWE at Royal Rumble 2000. This match to me means a lot as it was at a time I started to get into ECW and really get back into wrestling again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlGA59dCBaw

I also remembered it for the ridiculous chair shots to the head, between two tag teams, a first in WWF history at the time - tag teams were not known to take such punishment. In one way these two teams took more punishment then the main eventers.

With the death of JC Bailey due to aneurysm, and chair shots to the head considered a no-no in 2011, will the chair-shot to the head ever be used again in WWE, and will it ever reach "overload", where it's just another thing we see in a match?

what I never got was how bad it was supposed to be if people put their hands up as it was alleged to make it look like a work as some idiots said. Surely in a real chair shot situation you would put your hands up though, therefore not putting your hands it makes it looks more like a work and stupidly dangerous

• Paid Members

I don't see any reason why they can't be used as a very occasional shock tactic. Remember when there was one in the HHH-Taker match at Wrestlemania? It was a genuine shock and it had impact.

Hopefully we will NEVER get to a point where they are being handed out like sweets to almost no reaction again.

• Paid Members

Triple H's chairshot to the Undertaker's hand looked 10 times better than anything Balls Mahoney's ever done to an opponent. I've never liked chairshots to the head personally, but safe shots like the Rock and Austin (who even used to or very rarely used to take shots to the head) did look great. I remember at the Royal Rumble 2000 Triple H belting Cactus Jack to the side of the 'face' (which was actually his hand) and it looked amazing. I dont see why they should ever ban the hand-up shot. They look great and there's about as much damage done to the person as if he slapped the fridge door with his palm. WWE have such great production values, surely they use enough smoke and mirrors to create the illusion.

I remember the Balls Mahoney / Masato Tanaka matches from ECW in 1998 which was, for the most part, the two of them trading ridiculously stiff chair shots to the head.

I would hope there's no need for unprotected chair shots to the head anymore, but fans also need to play their part. I have seen shows where a wrestler puts their hands up to block a chair shot or the shot is pulled by the guy delivering the blow and the audience boos or shouts 'weak!'.

I miss a time where getting battered with a chair by a 300lb man was a killer blow that put people out cold, Unless you are doing an indestructable monster gimmick and shrugging off a face like like an old overcoat, I think it should be again.

Really, what's point of twattng someone with a chair, if it's going to do as much damage as a DDT?

On the subject of unprotected head shots, surely a man in a real fight who sees a big lump of metal coming towards his head is going try to put his hands in the way.

• Paid Members
I don't see any reason why they can't be used as a very occasional shock tactic. Remember when there was one in the HHH-Taker match at Wrestlemania? It was a genuine shock and it had impact.

Hopefully we will NEVER get to a point where they are being handed out like sweets to almost no reaction again.

This is exactly what I wanted to point out. I think from time to time they will pop back up and in doing so will have more impact than they did when they were common place. I very much doubt they will ever reach the point where we see them regularly again though, nor should they.

No, the discussion really doesn't need to go beyond this either. Anyone saying Yes is an idiot.

Anyone saying there is no discussion to be had here is an idiot.

• Paid Members
This is exactly what I wanted to point out. I think from time to time they will pop back up and in doing so will have more impact than they did when they were common place. I very much doubt they will ever reach the point where we see them regularly again though, nor should they.

Anyone saying there is no discussion to be had here is an idiot.

I figured everyone would be in agreement that smashing someone in the head with a piece of metal shouldn't be brought back.

• Paid Members

Given the research done into it, and the negative PR would bring, no. And nor should it, the idea of doing it as an 'occasional shock tactic' is a bit pointless as far as I see, why risk concussion for the sake of something that doesn't really add anything significant to a match. Blows to the head just aren't worth risking for the sake of 'an occasional shock'. Especially when said shock can be achieved through other, safer methods. One severe head knock could potentially have pretty serious effects.

Given that WWE corporate is firm on clamping down with fines on performers using head chair shots now (as per the mentioned Taker/HHH shot at WM which received fines) I'd like to think that chair shots to the head are firmly ruled out through all future WWE era's

Also given their large multinational corporate nature now as an entertainment company I think they are now more and more realising that their stars are their products, and therefore (within reason) should not be exposed to such career affecting damage

• Paid Members

Even if they did get fined (what was it $5000 or something?) they probably each made something like $50,000+ for that one match.

Personally I'm in two minds, because I fucking love brutal chairshots and could watch them all day. However the nice side of my personality knows that they cause alot of damage, aren't really nessecary and carry the risk of serious injury so my answer is no. However I think the occassional hit but with the person putting their hand up is fine.

• Paid Members
Given the research done into it, and the negative PR would bring, no. And nor should it, the idea of doing it as an 'occasional shock tactic' is a bit pointless as far as I see, why risk concussion for the sake of something that doesn't really add anything significant to a match. Blows to the head just aren't worth risking for the sake of 'an occasional shock'. Especially when said shock can be achieved through other, safer methods. One severe head knock could potentially have pretty serious effects.

Read and absorb, Nowinski:-

I dont see why they should ever ban the hand-up shot. They look great and there's about as much damage done to the person as if he slapped the fridge door with his palm.

Archived