Todd Grisham leaves WWE

xear

Always thought he was good as the B show presenter. Saying that his alternative commentary on the Chris Benoit DVD was shit

To be fair though that was when he just started with the company. Surely it takes a while for someone who doesn't know anything about wrestling beforehand (I presume) to get familiar with the business.

I think Steph hired him. She likes anyone with a smiley face and dimples her.

• Paid Members

I liked Grish, shame to see him go, at least he was a normal guy that made the wrestlers look like larger than life characters, the commentary teams are a fucking shambles at the moment, Cole trying to get himself over, Jim Ross being a fucking tired zombie that's continuously humiliated, The King just comes out with the same tired shit over and over again and Booker is just an old black nutcase chatting shit.

Not a fan of The Grish, but I have enjoyed him and Regal on NXT this season. The commentators in general are pretty poor at the moment, so I'll give a run-down of what I think of them:

Michael Cole : I think he's awesome (as a character) but his whole obnoxious act can really detract from certain matches at times. If the commentator doesn't sound interested, then why should I?

Jim Ross : Fuck off. I loved J.R. back in the day, but it's like he's been lobotomised in Vince's labratory since he's come back.

Jerry Lawler : Lawler's been so stale on commentary for ages. He does have the odd good line to be fair to him, but it's a bit sad when a 60+ year old man is the voice that audiences are meant to identify with.

Booker T : Book is terrible, but in an entertaining way. And he comes across as enthusiastic so that's a postive.

Josh Matthews : Probably the best overall commentator in WWE at the moment. Who would have thunk that one?

William Regal : Still early days for him I guess. I thought he was really ropey at the start of NXT but he's improved loads as he's gone on. I can't see him commentating beyond 'B' shows though. I can't imagine his unenthusiastic manner would go down as well on a live episode of Raw.

Scott Stanford : I don't watch Superstars that frequently so I can't really say much about him calling matches. He's got a late 1990s/early 2000s WCW quality to him. Which to me is a good thing.

William Regal : Still early days for him I guess. I thought he was really ropey at the start of NXT but he's improved loads as he's gone on. I can't see him commentating beyond 'B' shows though. I can't imagine his unenthusiastic manner would go down as well on a live episode of Raw.

I don't think that it's he's unenthusiastic. He's just very softly spoken and mumbles a lot in reality, which he admits to. He's said the whole transition to commentary has been one of the hardest things he's ever done and that he's usually bricking it throughout the broadcast. Can't say I blame him - it must be really difficult to stay on the ball, especially if you've got some fucker backstage talking in your ear while you're trying to retain your train of thought. He still stumbles over his words and often sounds nervous, but as you say he's really improved over the weeks. You could barely hear him when he first started on NXT, but you can really tell he's becoming more confident and comfortable, and is clearly making a conscious effort to speak more coherently, as he does when he's as his in-ring persona.

You're right that at this stage, he probably wouldn't go down well as a commentator on one of the bigger shows. One of the biggest and best bits of his commentary (and when he sounds most comfortable) is when he's treating us to his very 'British' sense of humour, which is great for people who 'get it' but unfortunately seems to go right over the heads of most of the American audience. If he was bumped up to Raw or Smackdown, they'd probably tell him either to drastically tone it down or stop it totally, which would probably regress his development somewhat.

That said, he couldn't do any worse than Booker T at this point.

And boo to Grisham going. He was a funny dude. Really liked his work.

• Paid Members

I met Grisham on one of the Wrestlemania travel package things, seemed a cool guy. Chatting to fans waiting to queue for the wrestlers for hours must be a challenge..

• Paid Members

i like grish mostly because he is a huge football fan. ive seen some of his tv football work and he has a relatively good knowledge of the game. always used to mention it too when he could on commentary

• Paid Members
i like grish mostly because he is a huge football fan. ive seen some of his tv football work and he has a relatively good knowledge of the game. always used to mention it too when he could on commentary

Football as in OUR football (or soccer, if you like) or American football?

Archived