Looney Tunes

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Brilliant. Completely not how I imagined it, but that's been bugging me since I was tiny. Love the music when he grabs him and it's as if some sort of boss level has been completed or some kind of momentous event has happened. Nice touch with the signs too.

When you think about it, in some ways Road Runner was completely different from the other Looney Tunes. It was basically exactly the same concept every cartoon and yet still managed to be great every time. The only thing close to it was Sylvester & Tweety, but even those cartoons varied a lot more than Road Runner.

Yet you look at Daffy Duck in comparison, and almost all his cartoons were completely unique in idea.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I was always a massive fan of Foghorn Leghorn due to his uncanny resemblance in personality to my grandfather. He was like the biggest arsehole of the Loony Toons roster but still managed to be loved.

Sylvester is great too.

• Paid Members
I was always a massive fan of Foghorn Leghorn due to his uncanny resemblance in personality to my grandfather. He was like the biggest arsehole of the Loony Toons roster but still managed to be loved.

Sylvester is great too.

Was your grandfather Fred Elliott? I said I said I said I said.

Favourite Looney Tunes here include Marvin The Martian, Sylvester, Yosemite Sam, The Mynah Bird ( though not sure if that was Merry Melodies), Taz

Cant stand Grandma at all though

Been a long time since I watched any, got some of the early DVD's the Looney Toon Allstars, and they are pretty good if limited in selection as well as the Space Toons video to tie in with Space Jam

I miss Rolf Harris Cartoon Time on the Beeb and Stay Tuned

I'm a massive Loony Tunes fan. My personal favourites are Marvin The Martian and Elmer Fudd, with Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny just trailing behind.

I have two favourite episodes. The first is the episode "Rabbit Fire" that features the brilliant Rabbit Season/Duck Season bit and i also love "What's Opera Doc?" which if you haven't seen i strongly recommend you search for it on youtube.

That episode actually turned me into a fan of Wagner(the composer obviously not that twat from The X-Factor) and now i can't hear "Ride Of The Valkyries" without singing "kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit"

I must admit i do on odd occasions use quotes from Loony Tunes, usually "Of course you realise this means war" and "Oh you've made me very angry, very angry indeed" but there was one fantastic time a few years ago on bonfire night, we were lighting fireworks and when one failed to go off i did say "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom." I don't think i stopped smiling for about a week.

• Paid Members
Question about Road Runner and ol' Wile: When I was a lad my father used to tell me about one episode whereby Road Runner WAS actually caught. Obviously he'd later escape, but I was wondering if such a fabled episode exists?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRzcCbjQ_5I...feature=related

I used to love Looney Tunes, not sure how long I could sit and watch now. But I will always smile when I hear "I twort I twore a puddy tat. I did, I did tee a puddy tat!" or "Scweewy Wabbit!"

The most perfect short ever.

There's a massive coffee table book (possibly called That's All, Folks) with double A3 sized pictures of some of the Warners cartoon backgrounds. Absolutely stunning in every way. The book itself is chock full of stories about how the studio operated, but there's a better book by Leonard Maltin called 'Of Mice and Magic' which covers all the Golden Age studios up til the early seventies or so. Well worth tracking down.

While I'm at it, the Pink Panther box set is worth getting. Wildly inconsistent cartoons - some of them are incredibly generic and bland, but some of them are perfectly timed with ingenious gags. And some are just incredibly surreal - I'll have to dig it out, but there's one where the Panther falls into a hole and it's just insane pop art styled gags for several minutes, like a drug trip I dreamed about when I was on a drug trip.

• Paid Members
The most perfect short ever.

There's a massive coffee table book (possibly called That's All, Folks) with double A3 sized pictures of some of the Warners cartoon backgrounds. Absolutely stunning in every way. The book itself is chock full of stories about how the studio operated, but there's a better book by Leonard Maltin called 'Of Mice and Magic' which covers all the Golden Age studios up til the early seventies or so. Well worth tracking down.

While I'm at it, the Pink Panther box set is worth getting. Wildly inconsistent cartoons - some of them are incredibly generic and bland, but some of them are perfectly timed with ingenious gags. And some are just incredibly surreal - I'll have to dig it out, but there's one where the Panther falls into a hole and it's just insane pop art styled gags for several minutes, like a drug trip I dreamed about when I was on a drug trip.

Yep, Duck Amuck is incredible, even more so for its time. It must have seemed just so mindblowing back in the day when it was released.

As for the Pink Panther, I haven't seen it in absolutely years and when I was a kid I preferred the Ant & The Aardvark in it, but I think I'm going to have to investigate this because my memories of an surreality in that are pretty hazy.

As for the Pink Panther, I haven't seen it in absolutely years and when I was a kid I preferred the Ant & The Aardvark in it, but I think I'm going to have to investigate this because my memories of an surreality in that are pretty hazy.

Ignore the canned laughter (the DVD doesn't have it IIRC) and just enjoy the absolute motherfucking insanity. I like to think that the sixty-odd year old Friz Freleng saw all those kids today eating acid, took some to see what the deal was, and this cartoon was the result.

• Paid Members

I was obsessed with Looney Tunes when I was a kid and still love the shit out of them. Duck Amuck is insanely creative for it's time and still to this day. I loved pretty much all the character except Pepe Le Pew and Speedy Gonzalez. But whenever you put Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam or Bugs/Daffy & Elmer Fudd it's garantueed comedic gold. One of my favorite Looney Tunes is "One Froggy Day" which doesn't include any of the main characters put is a work or art.

I was never a huge Tom & Jerry fan but there is alot of good shit there. Any episode with the the little yellow duckling who keeps tyring to kill himself while Jerry has to save him is a must see. My favorite Tom & Jerry is the one that ends with them both being dumped by their respective girlfriends and decided to commit suicide together by sitting on a train track and the episode ends just as the train starts to approach.

Archived