going into business for themselves

• Paid Members

Wrestlings a work, though. You only as skilled as the road agent wants you to be. Someone of Regal's level shouldnt have been wrestling with Goldberg in that manner, especially with all the time they were investing in Goldberg as this killing machine. Goldberg wasnt as skilled as Regal. Thats obvious to anyone. It wasnt a case of Regal throwing him about in a shoot. It was a case of Goldberg being told by the veteran the wrong advice in the ring infront of the audience he's trying to get over infront of. Regal's job was to hit the mat and do his job. Not try and get cute with someone the promotion was trying to hide the obvious flaws of. If that had happened to Batista before WrestleMania there'd have been hell on as well. If Shelton Benjamin took it upon himself to say "follow my lead" in a match on Raw with Batista and outwrestled him and made him look like shit and then did the job, Batista would have looked like a prick. I like Regal and everything but Regal was a nobody. He shouldnt have been getting all that shit in against Goldberg. He wasnt "shooting" on Goldberg. He did moves to make Goldberg look weak and for him to get himself over, which isnt the objective.

• Paid Members

I'm gonna be the first to bring up

This always sticks with me because it was the first time I'd see shooting in a match on TV. Saturn goes into "Want to kick the fuck out of you mode" with his kick and fall at 12 seconds, Like a real fight situation where the nervous adrenalin is pumping and you wanna hit out recklessly. Absolutely seething at that moment.

Not even seeing Bell getting dumped on his skull was enough for Pez, he had to mince him into the steps too.

• Paid Members
Wrestlings a work, though. You only as skilled as the road agent wants you to be. Someone of Regal's level shouldnt have been wrestling with Goldberg in that manner, especially with all the time they were investing in Goldberg as this killing machine. Goldberg wasnt as skilled as Regal. Thats obvious to anyone. It wasnt a case of Regal throwing him about in a shoot. It was a case of Goldberg being told by the veteran the wrong advice in the ring infront of the audience he's trying to get over infront of. Regal's job was to hit the mat and do his job. Not try and get cute with someone the promotion was trying to hide the obvious flaws of. If that had happened to Batista before WrestleMania there'd have been hell on as well. If Shelton Benjamin took it upon himself to say "follow my lead" in a match on Raw with Batista and outwrestled him and made him look like shit and then did the job, Batista would have looked like a prick. I like Regal and everything but Regal was a nobody. He shouldnt have been getting all that shit in against Goldberg. He wasnt "shooting" on Goldberg. He did moves to make Goldberg look weak and for him to get himself over, which isnt the objective.

Matches weren't laid out like that in WCW (Jerico mentions it in his book) The agent just gave them the finish and any storyline and the wrestlers pretty much did whatever they wanted. Not read Regals book for a while but from what I remember Regal was asked to go out and give him a competitive 6 minute match then lose At the time he was mainly wrestling 3 minute matches and just didnt know how to take the moves Regal was trying to do. Theres a PWI link about what happened here

• Paid Members

Here's one I just happened across:-

The 'fun' starts at just after 8:30. The Leatherface who breaks kayfabe here used to be Corporal Kircher in WWF. No idea why he shot like this, but he got fired for it.

• Paid Members
Matches weren't laid out like that in WCW (Jerico mentions it in his book)

Who said anything about "laying the match out". Goldberg was killing everyone in 3 minutes. Regal isnt stupid. He was bait for a green superstar. He knew his role and decided against it. The fact Goldberg obviously didnt have a clue what he was doing showed how mental it was to try stuff out with him on a live edition of Nitro. He should have told Goldberg what he had planned (everyone in wrestling plans at least a few things out), before hand. Everyone in wrestling new how limited Goldberg was at that stage and everyone since the turn of the 20th century knows that you dont expose a next big thing when your trying to hide his weaknesses. Also Regal was off his tits for most of that period.

• Paid Members
Who said anything about "laying the match out". Goldberg was killing everyone in 3 minutes. Regal isnt stupid. He was bait for a green superstar. He knew his role and decided against it. The fact Goldberg obviously didnt have a clue what he was doing showed how mental it was to try stuff out with him on a live edition of Nitro. Everyone in wrestling new how limited Goldberg was at that stage and everyone since the turn of the 20th century knows that you dont expose a next big thing when your trying to hide his weaknesses.

Am I the only one who thought Goldberg came out of it quite well, though? I thought he handled it reasonably well. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, it's been a while since I've seen it.

• Paid Members

I thought he did. Plenty of people (Sting against Hogan at Starrcade, Diesel against Shawn Michaels at WM11, Matt Morgan against everyone) have looked fucking lost in there with a superior worker who's goal it is to get over by comparison. I'd have just been glad I wasnt wrestling Rick Steiner.

Archived