this week wwe vintage

Flash

• Paid Members

I was watching a Edge vs Tommy Dreamer match earlier with Lawler, JR, Tazz and Joey Styles doing the commentary over it. Nobody is paying any attention to the match. I have no idea why Styles and Tazz thought it would be a good idea to try and outwit Lawler. Styles says "if you want sports entertainment watch the Leprechaun they put with Finlay on Smackdown". And Lawler questions what they are talking but by saying "Leprechaun on Smackdown?". They again say "yeah, if you'd watch the product you'd know there's a Leprechaun on Smackdown". Lawler replies with "But Tazz: your the Leprechaun on Smackdown!". Everytime Tazz and Styles crack a joke, Lawler easy as piss zings them with one back. Tazz cracks an "old man" joke, and Lawler just said to Tazz "there's been a call came in from Florida, your last remaining fan just died". When he's motivated and believes in what he's saying, I think Lawlers as good as anyone on the mic ever. He's so fucking quick.

• Paid Members
I was watching a Edge vs Tommy Dreamer match earlier with Lawler, JR, Tazz and Joey Styles doing the commentary over it. Nobody is paying any attention to the match. I have no idea why Styles and Tazz thought it would be a good idea to try and outwit Lawler. Styles says "if you want sports entertainment watch the Leprechaun they put with Finlay on Smackdown". And Lawler questions what they are talking but by saying "Leprechaun on Smackdown?". They again say "yeah, if you'd watch the product you'd know there's a Leprechaun on Smackdown". Lawler replies with "But Tazz: your the Leprechaun on Smackdown!". Everytime Tazz and Styles crack a joke, Lawler easy as piss zings them with one back. Tazz cracks an "old man" joke, and Lawler just said to Tazz "there's been a call came in from Florida, your last remaining fan just died". When he's motivated and believes in what he's saying, I think Lawlers as good as anyone on the mic ever. He's so fucking quick.

Completely. I remember that exchange perfectly, actually, and I remember thinking at the time that it was the wrestling commentary equivalent of Barcelona v Newport County. He absolutely run rings round them. I still miss the days of Lawler's on-screen cartoons at the end of a match.

I vastly preferred heel Lawler on commentary, and I don't think the dynamic of WWE or indeed TNA commentary has ever really worked well with two "face" commentators. Having a Ventura or Lawler putting the heel's point of view over was part of what made you hate heels. Don West's brief heel commentator run was like a breath of fresh air.

• Paid Members

I've never really paid much attention to Lawler but after that goldust video on the previous page, I'm beginning to think I should. The flaming fag promo was brilliant and it's a shame he's nearly a shell of his former self.

Are there any Lawler matches/promos you guys could recommend? Ta.

• Paid Members

I've just started working through a best of Lawler set I bought on here many moons ago. Some of the early promos are just amazing.

When he's motivated and in the mood he was second to so few.

I've never really paid much attention to Lawler but after that goldust video on the previous page, I'm beginning to think I should. The flaming fag promo was brilliant and it's a shame he's nearly a shell of his former self.

Are there any Lawler matches/promos you guys could recommend? Ta.

Check this great angle that leads into Ric Flair vs. Jerry Lawler -

• Paid Members
I remember him calling Goldust a "queer", at least. What other stuff was he getting away with? "Honky" Tonk Man doesn't count.

The 'queer' one was a take-off of the gay pride slogan in the US - 'we're here, we're queer, get used to it'. So when Goldust debuted, Lawler used the line 'Goldust's here, he may be queer, so get used to it...because he's going to be your next intercontinental champion' (or something like that).

It actually wasn't bad. Far worse was Ultimate Warrior's feud with Goldust, where he called him a freak and led the crowd in chants of 'faggot' at an In Your House. Mind you, Goldust was playing up to it as well, telling the audience to stop chanting or he'd kiss every one of them.

Archived