Rick Rude Appreciation thread

IANdrewDiceClay

I crossed paths with Rick a few times--including being at that War Games in Jacksonville FL--and he was always very cool. First met in the back at one of the Joel Goodhart extravaganzas in Philly, where Rick took center stage on the floor in the back and was telling great stories. Actually, fairly humble --especially for a badass that looked like that and was so great at the cocky gimmick--and was not trying to be one of those center-of-attention guys, just was doing what the boys do on occasion when they get in a big room and are passing the time.

I saw him when we were both on the way to the hotel bar after the Florida PPV, re-intro'd myself as it had been a while since Philly, and he was very polite, pretending he still remembered me and all that, after he met who knows how many other people in the interim.

One "legit tough guy" story I heard about him was: some jackass, seeing him in a sling due to a ring injury, thought he'd take advantage of Rick's, ahem, weakness, got in Rude's face in the arena parking lot...and Ric basically palmed the guy's head with his free hand and repeatedly bounced it off some parked cars.

Tragic he died at such an early age.

'Scottish, skirt-wearing scumbags' was how he introduced himself to us when I saw him in Aberdeen in '94. Fucking brilliant. He got heat from my dad.

One thing that strikes me now, thinking about it, is that the guy had an incredible physique, and yet he could still play the weedy heel card when he was against the Warrior, for example. Now, that's a gimmick! To convince people that you can get the shit kicked out of you while evidently being jacked up to the gills... that's talent.

You're right, Ian: Rick Rude was utterly fantastic.

Archived