Life's Too Short

Burchill's Buddy

Warwick Davis is a great Actor when he is being serious. He is only funny when he is falling over or wearing a bear costume. So in other words he is in a comedy show where people are meant to laugh at things connected to things to do with his stature. Which is totally contradicting all the stuff Gervais was saying in his interviews.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Rev has a great cast but the show is very middle of the road. I've watched two episodes and it often feels like they're scared to fully commit to certain scenarios for a laugh, just in case it offends. Just blah.

I don't think Life's Too Short is as bad as some are saying. It isn't a classic but it is better than a lot of comedy shite on the Beeb.

Rev has a great cast but the show is very middle of the road. I've watched two episodes and it often feels like they're scared to fully commit to certain scenarios for a laugh, just in case it offends. Just blah.

Agreed they are trying to hard. The first series was great. Now though after the success of series one they are trying to hard now.

Has Him & Her really been getting good reviews? I watched several episodes of the first series of that and it was just awful, in some ways worse than Coming of Age.

I've read a few recently, most of them either touting it as a new Royle Family or holding it up as an example of 'fresh' new comedy in contrast to the tired Gervais format. I'm left scratching my head, as it seems to me a show premised on a couple of slobs with a load of twats for friends who seem to be constantly pissing or shitting in the middle of conversations.

• Paid Members
Has Him & Her really been getting good reviews? I watched several episodes of the first series of that and it was just awful, in some ways worse than Coming of Age. So far I've only managed the first episode of series one of Rev and I'm not sure I'll bother with any more. I might though, as the US sitcoms have had this week off (and possibly are off now until the Christmas specials?) so there's a gap in my comedy viewing that needs filled. I've downloaded Greg Davies' and Sarah Millican's (I know) stand-up DVDs.

To be fair, she's been pretty funny whenever I've seen her. And I haven't heard her make a joke about men leaving the toilet seat up, which instantly makes her better than any other female stand-up comic I've seen.

She was brilliant as a guest on Graham Norton's show- last year I think. Left Sean Piddly Duffly Combs speechless.

The one bad thing you could say about The Office is that it spawned so many shit copies of the whole "Gervais" awkward comedy concept. The office was ten years ago, yet people are still copying that form of sitcom and humour. I think this could be the end of Gervais and Merchant as a writing double act, maybe take a fresh approach. I find Merchant to be extremely funny.

I thought the climbing was funny but then they ruined it with too long an awkward moment to follow it, they are still jumping from documentary to sitcom. Other funny bits were being locked in the bathroom and Les Dennis cameo. It seems like Davis is going through previous characters as he felt very Gareth Keenan like at times tonight. I am still disappointed with it but still going to watch it in case we get another episode as good as the second one with Depp in.

Last night's episode bothered me mainly because quite a few of the laughs just seemed to be 'haha look at the little fella fall over'. If they'd stuck with just the toilet scene and the bookcase for physical humour, the whole thing would've been a lot less unsettling.

Archived