New Blade Runner Film?

EdgarTheSlouch

TIPS HOLLYWOOD NEW YORK LONDON

Ridley Scott Ready To Direct New Version Of Seminal Sci-Fi Film 'Blade Runner'

BY MIKE FLEMING | Thursday August 18, 2011 @ 11:39am EDT

Email This

EXCLUSIVE: After revisiting his classic Alien with the upcoming 3D Fox film Prometheus, Ridley Scott is committing to direct and produce a film that advances his other seminal and groundbreaking science fiction film. Scott has signed on to direct and produce a new installment of Blade Runner. He

• Paid Members
Ford played Richard Deckard, a burnt out blade runner assigned to hunt them down.

Someone hasn't seen the Director's Cut or the Final Cut.

I don't see why it has to be prequal, sequal or remake. Why not have it running parallel to the original Blade Runner? Have it set in another precint, with occassional crossover references. Have it set offworld, maybe.

Logically yes, but how many modern CGI-fests actually look shit in comparison to the optical and prop work of sci-fi films from 20+ years ago?

Exactly. The old adage about disaster movies fits this, "The old ones are better because they were harder to make".

...was shit.

I'm in two minds about this. I'd love to see a revisit to that world (the Blade Runner PC game which did so was utterly amazing), and I'm glad it's Ridley directing, even though his output has been a bit rubbish recently.

On the other hand, it could be awful and a missed opportunity would piss me off more than no opportunity at all.

I guess it really comes down to how good Prometheus is. Scott seems in the mood to touch on his classic franchises again before he's too old, which I admire.

One thing I do trust him to do is not fuck up the special effects. Apparently Prometheus is nearly all in-camera effects, which means it might well be the best looking scifi movies in years.

• Paid Members
One thing I do trust him to do is not fuck up the special effects. Apparently Prometheus is nearly all in-camera effects, which means it might well be the best looking scifi movies in years.

I've just come.

Ridley probably understands optical effects and lighting better than the majority of SFX and DOP guys.

I've just come.

Ridley probably understands optical effects and lighting better than the majority of SFX and DOP guys.

Indeed. I think his backrgound as an art director is where that comes from. If you can level a criticism at Ridley generally, it's that he's sometimes more concerned with the look of his films than things like, you know, acting and shit.

• Paid Members
Indeed. I think his backrgound as an art director is where that comes from. If you can level a criticism at Ridley generally, it's that he's sometimes more concerned with the look of his films than things like, you know, acting and shit.

Definitely, but he does the very simple thing of just packing them with great actors that are no-brainers for their type of roles that don't need much help anyway. Just look at Alien - Weaver, Hurt, Holm, Stanton, Kotto - you just leave a cast like that to it.

I'm looking forward to this, if it happens. The original is one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time so I reckon it's got to be worth a shot. If it's crap, so what? You still have the original.

Archived