Wrestling Secrets Exposed

Richie Freebird

I remember when I was younger, my stepdad suggested I watch this. He taped it for me and said "you'll never look at wrestling the same again". So I did watch it, but all it did was encourage me to go out and try it with my mates, because I "knew how to do it safely". When I watched wrestling again after I totally forgot I watched the expose. So step papa ha how do you like them apples

• Paid Members
Back to the film itself, has anyone heard that one before or since where they claimed the commentators give secret hand signals to the ref to tell him how the crowd are responding to the match? A message that he supposedly relays to the wrestlers to tell them to take the bout home if the crowd aren

• Paid Members

I always thought wrestlers were trained to read a crown and know if they were in to it or not. Having announcers relay hand signals to referees to then pass messages to wrestlers just makes wrestlers look and sound like plodding robots who can't think for themselves.

And how does the referee keep his eyes on the match and the announce table to watch out for hand signals? It's just mind-boggling.

Nowadays the refs have earpieces, but various people have stated that Vince is constantly relaying instructions to the refs and announcers on what to plug, what not to mention, when to wrap up a match up early, etc..

I was aware of the commentators being told what to say, but I didn

The Narrator, Nick Backay, I think it was, the bloke who done the voice for the cat in Sabrina the Teenage Witch show, what an absolute arsehole he came across as, with that constant stream of insulting bollocks he was coming out with.

To be fair to the fella (and I am mostly saying this as a Salem mark) I don't think he was coming up with it. I would have just thought he was reading off a script about something he doesn't know or care about to grab a quick buck.

• Paid Members
To be fair to the fella (and I am mostly saying this as a Salem mark) I don't think he was coming up with it. I would have just thought he was reading off a script about something he doesn't know or care about to grab a quick buck.

Oh aye, I knew he was reading from a script of course, and told how to say it, but whoever did come up with the dialogue must've had a serious axe to grind against wrestling, judging by some of the phrases used.

While we're on this subject, I've always found it quite disapointing and sad, how in most cases, whenever young kids can be seen really enjoying wrestling for what it is meant to be, and really buying into it, you always have someone gleefully telling them how it's all fake and all a show, put up etc. I've always been annoyed at that, not because of MY love of wrestling, but because I don't really understand these people who seem hell bent on spoiling it for the kids enjoying it. It's quite sad to see, at least in my opinion. Even now, in an era where Kayfabe is supposedly dead, I was at a friend's house for a barbecue, and all the kids were in the other room watching the Cena Vs Punk match from MITB, and they were absolutley loving it, going beserk, and me and one of the parents went in and watched with them for 10 minutes, I could see he was enjoying it to himself, but after those 10 minutes and when the match was building to it's climax, he began with the "aw it's all put up, they know who's going to win, he's not hitting him", and he left, but the kids still enjoyed it of course. I thought to myself "what a dickhead", the point I'm making, is that with wrestling, I've never known something to this extent where people - adults - will gleefully spoil and activley attempt to ruin their child's enjoyment for something.

In my years of "belief", if you like, which were approximatley when I began watching in 1989 until 1999. In those early years, I bought into it completley without a second thought. The only thing I questioned were the punches, as I was born into a boxing family so I knew the punches they were throwing couldn't do much, but I just put that down to the fact that they were wrestlers and not boxers, of course. When I began questioning things to myself, the only things I wondered about were things like "What happens when they go backstage, do they have to be separated from eachother to stop fighting?", "Why do they keep whispering things to eachother during the match", things like that, the latter of which, would normally be given the Jerry Lawler treatment ; "Oh man there's some quiet trash talking going on in the corner there!" :laugh:

The wrestling secrets exposed programme premiered, in the UK, on Sky One, I think on a Friday night during the Monday Night Wars period and the business was blazing again. Of course, friday nights over here was when we got Raw is War, Nitro and Thunder. From what I remember, the expos

While we're on this subject, I've always found it quite disapointing and sad, how in most cases, whenever young kids can be seen really enjoying wrestling for what it is meant to be, and really buying into it, you always have someone gleefully telling them how it's all fake and all a show, put up etc. I've always been annoyed at that, not because of MY love of wrestling, but because I don't really understand these people who seem hell bent on spoiling it for the kids enjoying it. It's quite sad to see, at least in my opinion. Even now, in an era where Kayfabe is supposedly dead, I was at a friend's house for a barbecue, and all the kids were in the other room watching the Cena Vs Punk match from MITB, and they were absolutley loving it, going beserk, and me and one of the parents went in and watched with them for 10 minutes, I could see he was enjoying it to himself, but after those 10 minutes and when the match was building to it's climax, he began with the "aw it's all put up, they know who's going to win, he's not hitting him", and he left, but the kids still enjoyed it of course. I thought to myself "what a dickhead", the point I'm making, is that with wrestling, I've never known something to this extent where people - adults - will gleefully spoil and activley attempt to ruin their child's enjoyment for something.

A highlight for me of the last WWE live event I went to, was listening to the little kids sat behind, who believed it 100% and were giving expert pundit commentary all the way through. On the other end of the scale, I find wrestling shows are ruined when you have 'fans' sat nearby who spend the show letting everyone know how smart they are, shouting out insider references and whatnot.

Other than the answers already given in this thread, the referee relaying messages from whoever is yelling into his earpiece, I've seen that on Raw even over the last few weeks, but that's only to inform them that TV will be going to a commercial, at which time they normally either slap a rest hold on, or go into a few basic spots that don't add anything to the match, just to fill the time. I also remember Paul Heyman frantically sending someone out to give instructions to Funk, Sandman, Richards that they had to "go home" within 30 seconds and go into the Funk/Raven match, as they were beginning to look like they would over-run their allocated time slot for the PPV, something along those lines, anyway. It's on Beyond the Mat.

I remember reading something Lance Storm wrote about how on ECW PPV there was no one with a watch to do a time check, so during his match no one had any clue if they were running long or going too quickly. So Storm did a spot where he went outside to rest and used it to find a fan with a watch. Then I think he went back to the same spot a couple of times to try and end the match at more or less the right moment.

Archived